Before I leave WP I want to impart these sources

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

salad
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2021, 10:45 am

I've requested from the mods to permanently ban me as I go on the journey of life without distractions. As the only Palestinian on WP on this site that used not have a versatile understanding of the Palestinian perspective on what's currently happening in Palestine I feel obligated before I go to leave some sources to better learn about the Palestinian side of this conflict.

In every conflict there are definitely multiple sides, which doesnt necessarily imply all sides are morally and validly symmetric as far as right and wrong, but it does mean to come to a conclusion assessing a situation requires thorough and impartial investigation on all perspectives and then coming to a reasonable conclusion

I've made a lot of threads and claims as regards to the Palestinian side of this issue so I think it's time i list below all my sources for my knowledge on this conflict:

As someone from Palestine my 1st source of information really is my lived experience in Palestine back during the 2nd Intifada, which was the most violent time in Palestinenian history. Sure objective dissertations in lengthy scholarly tomes has its place and purpose, but actually physically being in Palestine and witnessing 1st hand the reality of occupation is a whole nother beast that cant be learned in a book. In other words the 1st best way to learn about the Palestinian side of the conflict is to meet a Palestinian and ask them what's life like in Palestine

As for books, documentaries and websites, here it is:

"The General's Son" by Miko Peled

"Image and Reality of the Palestinian Conflict" by Norman Finklestein

"The Ethnic Cleansing of Palestine" by Illian Pape

"The 100 Year War on Palestine" by Rashid Al Khalidi

"1948: Creation and Catastrophe"

"I Saw Ramallah" by Mourid Barghouti

"They Dare to Speak Out" by Paul Findley

"Brokers of Deceit" by Rashid Al-Khalidi

"Expulsion of the Palestinians: The Concept of Transfer in Zionist Political Thought, 1882-1948" by Nur Masalha

"Palestine: A Personal History" by Karl Sabbagh

These are just a handful of the plethora of sources which detail the Palestinian side in this conflict, which tends to be suppressed and censored heavily. I ask WP to at least look into the above sources and come to your own conclusions

Master Oogway

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2021, 11:01 am

I'm with you on the Palestinian issue, as I've done some research on the topic. Thanks for the resources, I will check them out.

Best of luck to you in the future! Take care of yourself.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

Harry Haller
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Aug 2021, 12:28 pm

VegetableMan wrote:
I'm with you on the Palestinian issue

Same

Regrettable yer takin' off - best to ye compadre

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2021, 1:47 pm

I also agree with you on Palestine.
Take care of yourself out there.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2021, 5:15 pm

https://truthout.org/articles/lawmakers ... b93ff7c7bd

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2021, 12:59 pm

Some interesting ideas here on why the American right wing will hear no criticism of the Israeli government:

https://forward.com/opinion/428488/the- ... supremacy/

Lunella
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2021, 1:54 pm

We had a big Palestine car rally when it was Eid, think there were 60+ cars with Palestine flags and smoke going around all of Yorkshire here. As you know I am married within an extremely large Pakistani family despite being whiter than mayonnaise so there was full support here from us. A lot of my family bought over 30 sheep for the poor over there direct not through some charity.

In the most basic way I can tell anyone on this forum, the s**t that is going on in Palestine is so bad that if it happened over here there would be literal war on the streets for the amount of cruel nasty s**t the Israeli's are doing. They are literally walking up to random Palestine peoples houses who have lived there for years and telling them this is my house now and to leave evicting whole families for no reason other than their own disgusting narcissistic intentions.

Salad I wish you well over there, if you need any help give me a shout I will have my family send donations through the Mosque here direct, they are always sending stuff over.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2021, 4:24 pm

I also agree about what's been going on in Palestine.

The people of Palestine deserve peace and NOT a continued atmosphere of dystopia!

Take good care of yourself and stay safe.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2021, 5:07 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:
Some interesting ideas here on why the American right wing will hear no criticism of the Israeli government:

https://forward.com/opinion/428488/the- ... supremacy/

Oof, Beinart gets Israel's appeal to the right super wrong, I suspect he hasn't actually met a Republican in person in years.

He touches on and dismisses the theological argument, which I think is correct, but then he jumps straight to it being enthno-nationalism, when that is not something that ever comes up if you talk to actual conservatives about why they like/support Israel.

What conservatives admire about the place is it's swaggering toughness, they're surrounded by people who want them dead but they've kicked their neighbors' asses so many times that no one tries to invade them anymore, if you screw with them they will send assassins to murder you halfway around the world (and not just with an impersonal drone strike), or hack your centrifuges, or blow up your secret nuclear plant, they'll kidnap aging Nazis and execute them after trial, they'll tell the UN to pound sand and do what they want, conservatives see the whole country as the "man of action" archetype personified.

They also admire the industriousness, Israel has a modern economy and is a tech powerhouse, while neighboring countries... are not, they like the national service model where every citizen is a soldier (ladies of the IDF pinups are a staple of conservative forums), and, let's be honest here, they love that American leftists hate the place, that's the cherry on top.

I've been in conservative spaces for decades now due to my hobbies, and in all those years Israel has come up pretty frequently, and not once has it been "isn't it great how they're a one religion ethno-state?", it's always "damn the Israelis are badass, I wish we operated more like they do!".

The Israeli mystique is actually something that can be exploited, I've seen conservatives tricked into going along with some pretty dumb stuff because they thought it came from the Israelis, they definitely do have a soft spot for the country.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2021, 7:38 pm

^
Well, for all I know you may be correct, but the article includes citations for most of the points it makes, and the surveys mentioned presumably have a more accurate handle on the views of Republicans than just talking to some individuals who may or may not represent the picture as a whole, and may or may not have the civic education and intelligence to avoid airing any such hateful views as white supremacism. But I wouldn't be all that surprised if it turned out the reasons for the right's unqualified admiration of the Israeli government also had something to do with a lot of the things you mentioned.