Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2021, 8:19 am

Family of autistic girl denied visa facing 'dehumanising' experience – Green MP

Quote:
An Auckland family whose autistic daughter has been denied a visa face a “dehumanising” experience as they continue their battle with immigration authorities, a Green MP says.

Micaela Galvao, 10, was diagnosed with moderate autism at the age of 3 while living in her home country of Brazil.

The Galvao family arrived in New Zealand about four years ago after leaving the “violent” city of Rio de Janeiro

Micaela attends a regular school and doesn’t currently require additional support from the Ministry of Education.

But when the Takapuna family applied for work to residence visas in 2020, Micaela’s autism raised a red flag.

Despite letters of support from a child and adolescent psychiatrist and her principal, the cost she may put on the health system is considered too great, and she was denied a visa.

Currently, she is expected to leave New Zealand at the beginning of 2022.

Ricardo Menendez-March, the Green Party’s immigration spokesman, is helping the Galvao family with their plight.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman