Pfizer funded study of vaccine effectiveness released

Page 6 of 6 [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2021, 1:14 am

Dox47 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
African Americans have truly a right to be suspicious of the government when it comes to medicine - the infamous Tuskegee experiment comes to mind, as does poor enforcement of medical safety measures in black communities - in a way those white MAGAs and QAnons have nothing to compare to. That's an indefensible legacy the government has to right.
I admit I'm not so up on reasons for Latinos to reject the vaccine, save to say that Latinos are no more a monolithic group any more than whites are. So, it's safe to say, there is a trend among Latino conservatives who I suspect are just as susceptible to lunacy as are their white counterparts.

You know, I keep seeing Tuskegee being brought up when it comes to vaccine hesitancy in the black community, but I've never seen any supporting data that that's the reason, I suspect it's more prosaic than a group memory of an unethical medical study.

That being said, the US government does have a less than stellar record on these things, some of the MKULTRA stuff was pretty hair raising, with the testing of psychedelic compounds on unwitting subjects and such, so I'm actually sympathetic to the skepticism, even though I've vaxxed myself. I also don't have a partisan dog in the fight, so that turns my temperature down as well.

I've heard individual African Americans bring the Tuskegee experiment up, but as I stated, it's been a cumulative thing with the US government's abuse of medical treatments and standards used with that community.