Another big heat wave for Pacific Northwest and B.C.

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2021, 8:34 am

Pacific Northwest braces for another multiday heat wave

Quote:
People in the Pacific Northwest braced for another major, multiday heat wave starting Wednesday, just over a month after record-shattering hot weather killed hundreds of the region’s most vulnerable people when temperatures soared to 116 degrees Fahrenheit (47 Celsius).

In a “worst-case scenario,” the temperature could reach as high as 111 F (44 C) in some parts of western Oregon by Friday before a weekend cooldown, the National Weather Service in Portland, Oregon, warned this week. It’s more likely temperatures will rise above 100 F (38 C) for three consecutive days, peaking around 105 F (40.5 C) on Thursday.

Those are eye-popping numbers in a usually temperate region and would break some all-time records if the late June heat wave hadn’t done so already, meteorologist Tyler Kranz said. Seattle will be cooler than Portland, with temperatures in the mid-90s, but it still has a chance to break records, and many people there, like in Oregon, don’t have air conditioning

Those are eye-popping numbers in a usually temperate region and would break some all-time records if the late June heat wave hadn’t done so already, meteorologist Tyler Kranz said. Seattle will be cooler than Portland, with temperatures in the mid-90s, but it still has a chance to break records, and many people there, like in Oregon, don’t have air conditioning.

“We’ll often hear people say, ‘Who cares if it’s 106 or 108? It gets this hot in Arizona all the time.’ Well, people in Arizona have air conditioning, and here in the Pacific Northwest, a lot of people don’t,” Kranz said. “You can’t really compare us to the desert Southwest.”

Third heat wave on the way for southern B.C.
Quote:
Southern B.C. is about to experience yet another heat wave this week, where temperatures in the Interior could hit 40 C for the third time this summer.

The heat wave will develop Tuesday and likely end next Monday, with the hottest days likely to be this Thursday and Friday.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2021, 9:09 am

It's not forecast to be as bad as the June heat wave.

Portland went up to 116F (46.7C) one day in June. They're forecasting 100F (37.8C) as the maximum temperature of the heat wave this time.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2021, 2:50 pm

Regardless of how hot it will be, water is flying off the shelves at places I visited earlier today.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2021, 2:55 pm

Where I am I think it's only supposed to get up to 100°F tomorrow, which isn't as hot as the 113°F it got last time. I really can't wait for fall and winter to finally come. :(

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2021, 3:04 pm

I'll tell you what, I've never been happier to have a basement, when it hit 110 in June my man cave never got above 70, so I basically hid out down there for 3 days smoking Cubans and coding on my laptop.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2021, 3:07 pm

HeroOfHyrule wrote:
Where I am I think it's only supposed to get up to 100°F tomorrow, which isn't as hot as the 113°F it got last time. I really can't wait for fall and winter to finally come. :(

Me too, but who knows what kind of weather we will experience.