Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2021, 8:56 pm

I need help. I need to cash my checks. I can’t deposit in my bank, they are life insurance checks from my mom. I tried depositing in PayPal, they got denied. I also got $600 from covid, I didn’t know I had it, I opened it late. Does anyone know about life insurance checks?

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2021, 9:16 pm

You should be able to go into your online banking account and find a function called "Deposit cheques". Click, take photos of the front and back of the cheques, and select the account where you want each one deposited.

I wouldn't use Pay Pal for that.

Also there might be a limit of how much you can deposit digitally per day. It's usually in the thousands. You can deposit them one day after the other so that they aren't all on the same day, if you are over the maximum.

How old are these cheques?
There's usually a limit which varies according to your bank, but it's often many months or even a year.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2021, 9:25 pm

Kitty4670 wrote:
I need help. I need to cash my checks. I can’t deposit in my bank, they are life insurance checks from my mom. I tried depositing in PayPal, they got denied. I also got $600 from covid, I didn’t know I had it, I opened it late. Does anyone know about life insurance checks?

well i dont know if i would deposit online with no bank.why cant you deposit them in your bank?the only way i know of to cash a check with no bank access is something like a check cashing place but those charge 1 to 3 percent of the value to cash it.If you are not able to deposit in your bank and you cash the check....how would you would store the cash?I hope everything works out for you with this situation.I would be leary of cashing your check online with no bank on a non-bank website.

A bank would not be the best place for life insurance checks if they were meant to provide for you long term.But a bank account or checking account would be more suitable for life insurance payouts if it was more for final expenses and debts and stuff like that.Maybe you could try cashing it online with your bank.I would try to do that before you try cashing it online with a non-bank insitution website because of high fees.I dont think PayPal is the ideal company to use in this situation.I would think cashing a check online with no bank would be really easy to be scammed.I would prolly go to a check cashing store instead of cashing it online if you could not get it done with bank.I would be afraid cashing it online with no bank could lose it all instead of just one to 3 percent with a cash checking place.But i would for sure get the bank thing figured out if you can.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2021, 8:03 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
You should be able to go into your online banking account and find a function called "Deposit cheques". Click, take photos of the front and back of the cheques, and select the account where you want each one deposited.

Also there might be a limit of how much you can deposit digitally per day. It's usually in the thousands. You can deposit them one day after the other so that they aren't all on the same day, if you are over the maximum.

There's usually a limit which varies according to your bank, but it's often many months or even a year.

I can’t deposit life insurance checks into my bank, I’m on SSI. I deposited checks before. Why can’t I use cash check on PayPal? My first life insurance check going expire soon, I can always call New York Life to get new checks that expired. I also have an account for disabled people, you can keep over $2,000 in there, but there no deposit checks there, you have to mail them, it would be safer online if they have that option, there are alot of mail thieves.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2021, 8:09 pm

Kitty4670 wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:

I can’t deposit life insurance checks into my bank, I’m on SSI. I deposited checks before. Why can’t I use cash check on PayPal? My first life insurance check going expire soon, I can always call New York Life to get new checks that expired. I also have an account for disabled people, you can keep over $2,000 in there, but there no deposit checks there, you have to mail them, it would be safer online if they have that option, there are alot of mail thieves.

Oh true, I forgot about the SSI rules. A deposit to Pay Pal isn't as safe or secure as a deposit to your own bank. SSI could also trace the money in your Pay Pal account using your name or your social. It would be fraud not to declare it. I think the best option in this case is to have your cheque held in trust for you and the funds transferred as needed. I have my life insurance set up that way for my daughter because she's disabled too. It's written into my Will that any estate will be held in trust by my brother and he will pay for her expenses as needed. That way she can keep getting her regular disability insurance payments without having to declare.

Did you ever track down your mother's Will or her lawyer?

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2021, 9:17 pm

Kitty4670 wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:

Well since you are on SSI i would get a trust fund made and drafted by the best estate planner lawyer you can hire.Also, i think ABLE accounts are a new thing that may work because they allow SSI payees to have 100,000 in that account. Your third option which i would do if you dont do the other ones would be to spend all the money down and leave one grand left in your bank account.i would not think PayPal would be the safest and possibly it could have high fees.If you set up a trust fund I would advise getting a financial advisor.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2021, 4:57 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Kitty4670 wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:

Oh true, I forgot about the SSI rules. A deposit to Pay Pal isn't as safe or secure as a deposit to your own bank. SSI could also trace the money in your Pay Pal account using your name or your social. It would be fraud not to declare it. I think the best option in this case is to have your cheque held in trust for you and the funds transferred as needed. I have my life insurance set up that way for my daughter because she's disabled too. It's written into my Will that any estate will be held in trust by my brother and he will pay for her expenses as needed. That way she can keep getting her regular disability insurance payments without having to declare.

Did you ever track down your mother's Will or her lawyer?

my mom set up the trust fund so my sister can be in charge, I shared the trust with her& my nephew. I hated that she in charge, I really don’t get along with her her most of time, she should have told me that my money is running low, I wish I can make more money,she said she will help me with the money, but I don’t want her help. She lied to me before, when she helps me, there are strings, I already feel like her puppet. When my mom was alive, she paid for my rent & bills, she brought me stuff too, she gave me my space, at that time, me & my mom were fighting alot, I really didn’t get along with her, when I moved out of her house, we slowly worked on our relationship. When my mom was paying my rent & bills, she never bugged me like my sister bugged me.

I tried to look for her Will online, but I got very confused.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2021, 9:04 pm

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
Kitty4670 wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:

Well since you are on SSI i would get a trust fund made and drafted by the best estate planner lawyer you can hire.Also, i think ABLE accounts are a new thing that may work because they allow SSI payees to have 100,000 in that account. Your third option which i would do if you dont do the other ones would be to spend all the money down and leave one grand left in your bank account.i would not think PayPal would be the safest and possibly it could have high fees.If you set up a trust fund I would advise getting a financial advisor.

I have trust fund from my mom that passed away 8 years ago, she also give me life insurance. I do have an ABLE account, I think I need to mail my checks. Do you mean make trust fund for me?