Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2021, 9:40 pm

Quote:
There has been much debate over how to get the unvaccinated to get their jabs — shame them, bribe them persuade them, or treat them as victims of mis- and disinformation campaigns — but who, exactly, are these people?

Most of the coverage would have you believe that the surge in cases is primarily down to less educated, ‘brainwashed’ Trump supporters who don’t want to take the vaccine. This may be partially true: the areas in which the delta variant is surging coincide with the sections of red America in which vaccination rates are lowest.

But according to a new paper by researchers from Carnegie Mellon University and the University of Pittsburgh, this does not paint the full picture. The researchers analysed more than 5 million survey responses by a range of different demographic details, and classed those people who would “probably” or “definitely” not choose to get vaccinated as “vaccine hesitant.”

Source: https://unherd.com/thepost/the-most-vaccine-hesitant-education-group-of-all-phds/

Study this is based on published at https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.07.20.21260795v1.full.pdf

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2021, 9:49 pm

Quote:
But more surprising is the breakdown in vaccine hesitancy by level of education. It finds that the association between hesitancy and education level follows a U-shaped curve with the highest hesitancy among those least and most educated. People with a master’s degree had the least hesitancy, and the highest hesitancy was among those holding a Ph.D.

Wait, so the vaxxed are all midwits?

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2021, 9:55 pm

Dox47 wrote:
Quote:
But more surprising is the breakdown in vaccine hesitancy by level of education. It finds that the association between hesitancy and education level follows a U-shaped curve with the highest hesitancy among those least and most educated. People with a master’s degree had the least hesitancy, and the highest hesitancy was among those holding a Ph.D.

Wait, so the vaxxed are all midwits?

Hard to say - The results suggest this may be the case, but the number of PhD's is low (2.1% of respondants) - I'm not sure how representative that is of society as a whole.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2021, 10:10 pm

Brictoria wrote:
Hard to say - The results suggest this may be the case, but the number of PhD's is low (2.1% of respondants) - I'm not sure how representative that is of society as a whole.

Probably, that distribution just instantly jumped out at me though. I'm vaxxed myself, but I don't make a whole identity out of it.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2021, 8:00 am

Before the recent breakout of the delta variant, Australia was virtually free of the virus and there was no need to rush into getting the vaccine.
The NSW's mismanagement changed that and now that it is out of control, there is a scramble to get the jab.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2021, 8:05 am

Dox47 wrote:
Brictoria wrote:

Probably, that distribution just instantly jumped out at me though. I'm vaxxed myself, but I don't make a whole identity out of it.

Being a hermit now and shunning the bastards where I can meant there was a low risk for me getting the virus.
The contagiousness of the delta strain changed that. 8O

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2021, 11:18 am

I think the study proceeds from a false assumption.
It wants to frame vaccine hesitancy in terms of intelligence and education level. I see the issue as being more of a matter of trust.
People don't trust the government.
Our government is no longer the servant of the people as the Constitution defines it, but has become an elite aristocracy that believes itself to be the master of the people.
After continual lies, usurping and theft many people are disinclined to give it more power.
What has the government (or the CDC) done to earn our trust? It has done much more to make us wary.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2021, 9:30 pm

Mr Reynholm wrote:
I think the study proceeds from a false assumption.
It wants to frame vaccine hesitancy in terms of intelligence and education level. I see the issue as being more of a matter of trust.
People don't trust the government.
Our government is no longer the servant of the people as the Constitution defines it, but has become an elite aristocracy that believes itself to be the master of the people.
After continual lies, usurping and theft many people are disinclined to give it more power.
What has the government (or the CDC) done to earn our trust? It has done much more to make us wary.

You can't trust any government, right or left, completely, agreed.
Use your own noggin. 8)

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2021, 4:39 am

I highlighted the most interesting parts of the report the OP provided:

COVID-19 vaccine hesitancy decreased by one-third from January to May, independent hesitancy risk factors included
All rights reserved. No reuse allowed without permission.
(which was not certified by peer review) is the author/funder, who has granted medRxiv a license to display the preprint in perpetuity.
medRxiv preprint doi: https://doi.org/10.1101/2021.07.20.21260795; this version posted July 23, 2021. The copyright holder for this preprint
NOTE: This preprint reports new research that has not been certified by peer review and should not be used to guide clinical practice.

21 younger age, non-Asian race, having a PhD or ≤high school education, living in a rural county,
22 living in a county with higher 2020 Trump support,