Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2021, 9:25 am

‘So thrilled': Auckland girl with autism granted visa

Quote:
An Auckland family whose autistic daughter was facing deportation can now plan their lives in New Zealand after her visa application was accepted through ministerial intervention

The Galvao family moved to the North Shore from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, for a life away from violence about four years ago.

But when the Takapuna family applied for work to residence visas in 2020, Micaela’s autism raised a red flag.

Despite letters of support from a child and adolescent psychiatrist, and her school principal, the cost she might put on the health system was considered too great and she was denied a visa.

However, Galvao learnt through National MP Simon Watts’ secretary on Thursday afternoon that Associate Immigration Minister Phil Twyford had decided to grant Micaela a student visa through to 2023.

In a letter to Watts, Twyford said: “I have decided to grant Micaela a student visa to January 22, 2023, in line with her father’s work visa, as an exception to instructions.

Twyford said if Flavio Galvao went on to apply for a residency visa and included Micaela as a secondary applicant, her health would not be assessed.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2021, 11:59 pm

TFG

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う