Airline apologizes - forced autistic boy to take COVID test

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2021, 6:27 am

Ryanair apologizes after staffers force 12-year-old autistic boy to have COVID-19 test: report

Quote:
Ryanair, the Dublin-based, low-cost airline, said in a statement Thursday that it regretted learning about the "stress" caused to the family of a 12-year-old autistic boy who was reportedly forced to have a COVID-19 test by its staffers at an airport in Spain.

The BBC posted a video of the boy, Callum Hollingsworth, seen getting emotional while medical staffers explain the procedure. A voice could be heard off-camera explaining that the boy has ADHD and autism. The person also said that he had a letter of exemption from a general practitioner.

She said the boy’s father had to "physically restrain" her son.

The airline told the BBC in a statement that its policy is to fully comply with the EU and government travel restrictions."

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2021, 11:41 am

So the airline was following their policies but didn't have the policy to exempt autistic people from the test so they had to apologize?

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.