First mass shooting in the UK for over a decade.

Page 3 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2021, 10:03 am

Police returned gun to 'mentally ill' Plymouth shooter even after family begged for help

Quote:
The weapon Davison used to kill his victims had been confiscated nearly a year ago following an allegation of assault. The Independent Office for Police Conduct has said it will now investigate Devon and Cornwall Police over Davison's possession of a shotgun and shotgun certificate.

The gunman, 22, was a licensed firearm holder with a legally held shotgun, despite having "mental health problems".

One person who knew Davison has said his family asked for help from mental health experts. The unnamed individual said: "The dad even begged the mental health team to assess him, but they basically said they were too short of staff to come out.

"So not only have the mental services in this country let these poor families down, they could have prevented this.

“The family begged 101 to send an officer out two days before and rang NHS mental health to come and assess him."

The Independent Office for Police Conduct will now investigate all contact that officers had with the Davison family.

This will include what the Devon and Cornwall force knew about him and why he retained his gun licence.

The friend said Davison had suffered from ADHD, prompting his parents to seek professional help for him.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2021, 11:40 am

Nades wrote:
Cornflake wrote:
Dox47 wrote:
Forget this guy's name, forget his face, don't care about his reasons, and throw him down the memory hole as quickly as possible, that's the way to treat this type of crime and criminal.
^ This.
Jacinda Ardern (PM of New Zealand) had the right idea when she publically called for the killer in the Christchurch mosque shootings to be rendered nameless, saying: "Speak the names of those who were lost rather than the name of the man who took them ... he will, when I speak, be nameless."

It didn't work though. Everyone knows his name and face. I think attempting erase the names of these people is just erasing their motives and any understanding of them too. I just see it as dodging uncomfortable but needed conversations.

I have no idea what his name was in Plymouth, and couldn't care less. I did see a picture somewhere on WP (much to my disgust), but I've blocked it from my memory. He doesn't deserve one atom of my brain space.

What sticks in my mind is the smile of that beautiful little redhead girl, and her name Sophie Martyn.
She'll stay with me when I think of this story in the future.