Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Jib
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 Aug 2021, 3:00 am

What are some health issues you folks deal with and treat?

Here's my list: 

-autism (This has been a constant issue with my medical advisor. I know everybody on here can relate, but for the longest time, ASD has impaired my learning and socializing.)
-anxiety (I tend to get scared or nervous very quickly)
-depression (not the clinical kind)
-allergies (e.g., cats, grass, mold, dust, weeds, and trees (walnut, maple, & cottonwood))
-insomnia (I've been dealing with sleepless nights since I was 18)
-muscle aches and cramps (Sometimes my leg muscles will tense up in utmost pain)
-food sensitivity, especially caffeine (I can't drink coffee without becoming violent)
-dry skin (When it gets cold or I wash my hands too much, my skin cracks and bleeds)
-back issues (Probably my mildest issue, as such, I refrain from slouching)
-nearsightedness (Not like Mr. Magoo!)
-headaches (Not as bad nowadays, but they were an issue when I was younger)
-vog allergic (Hawaii's unique allergy! I used to get headaches and bloodshot eyes) 

Believe it or not, but only one in 20 people have zero health issues.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 081753.htm

Jib's Medium

Juliette
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2021, 6:59 pm

Hey jib … I can soo relate to much what you have written. Caffeine doesn’t tend to make me violent. I put it to good use on occasion, though during my Uni days was pretty much addicted to it, till it caused one too many heart palpitations. I now use it only occasionally, and to good effect.

Anxiety is the dominant emotion in autism, hence many eventually coming to the realisation that a very small dosage of an anti-anxiety med can be crucial to enhancing quality of life.

Allergies are common.

Muscle aches and cramps are common - I’ve long been very into sports and fitness and I’ve come to realise just how important aerobic activity is to maintain throughout life.

Dry skin that cracks and bleeds - I’ve only come to know of this since moving to England from Australia. Mine was severe as I am workaholic and very health conscious. Once I discovered Norwegian Neutrogrena, no more cracked and bleeding fingers and hands. Health workers/Nurses come to learn these things very swiftly.

Back issues - in spite of being a gymnast, my back is in need of voltarol at times now after lengthy work.

Headaches and bloodshot eyes … where do I begin?! Don’t mess about with headaches … so much I could say …

0 health issues in some? I’d wager a guess that they have health issues that even they are not aware of … Many of us go for years with undetected health issues.

Interesting topic!

Last edited by Juliette on 27 Aug 2021, 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2021, 7:07 pm

Autism
ADHD
Possible OCD?
Tics, probably from the possible OCD
Depression
Some digestive disorder that's probably Crohn's or UC, but I haven't seen a gastroenterologist in 6 years lmao
Asthma
A dairy and cat allergy (still have cats though...)
I have a displaced? vertebrae (T7) in my spine
My eyes also don't focus well since I can't move them that great + never got that attended to, so it affected my vision/their ability to focus as I got older

That's kind of it... I hope it stays that way and I don't get to add things. lol

badRobot
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2021, 10:35 pm

Jib wrote:
What are some health issues you folks deal with and treat?
Here's my list: 

I've had almost all of the same issues, except allergies, maybe.

Jib wrote:
-autism (This has been a constant issue with my medical advisor. I know everybody on here can relate, but for the longest time, ASD has impaired my learning and socializing.)
-anxiety (I tend to get scared or nervous very quickly)
-depression (not the clinical kind)

Got rid of depression and anxiety completely. Reduced symptoms of ASD by increasing mental strength, building up good habits and having more energy to cope. I credit it to regular exercise, fresh air, direct sunlight exposure, cold showers and healthy diet combined. There is no such thing as mental health really separate from physical health, brain is part of our body.

Jib wrote:
-insomnia (I've been dealing with sleepless nights since I was 18)
-muscle aches and cramps (Sometimes my leg muscles will tense up in utmost pain)

Weirdly got rid of both by supplementing magnesium with better bioavailability, like Magnesium L-threonate. Forms like magnesium citrate act as laxative before you can take any meaningful amount for better sleep and preventing cramps. And already mentioned daily exposure to direct sunlight soon after awakening is extremely beneficial in maintaining circadian rhythm.

Jib wrote:
-dry skin (When it gets cold or I wash my hands too much, my skin cracks and bleeds)
-back issues (Probably my mildest issue, as such, I refrain from slouching)
-nearsightedness (Not like Mr. Magoo!)
-headaches (Not as bad nowadays, but they were an issue when I was younger)

Got rid of those completely. Mostly diet, introducing more fermented foods, like saeurkraut, pickles. Reducing grains and sugars - improves microbiome of your gut and your skin. And cold showers. Combination reduces chronic systemic inflammation, improves immune system. It reduces autoimmune inflammation in joints, neck, back. Better immune system and microbiota reduces population of yeasts that make your skin dry and easily irritable with no other symptoms. Plus cold showers improve cardiovascular system, it helps with with headaches and improves eyesight, especially if it gets worse by evening.

Rexi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: "I know there's nothing we can do. But my heart can't accept it." "If this is real, then I want to change the future."

27 Aug 2021, 11:03 pm

-muscle aches and cramps (Sometimes my leg muscles will tense up in utmost pain)

I've been having these lately, and ive supplemented 50+15 % daily dose of mg at different times and my calcium intake is 15% so absorbtion isnt competing with mg absorbtion, yet still got them. Maybe more movement is necessary, i tend to get them in the leg ive been going easy on due to knee weakening. When i used to be more sedentary i didnt use to have them. Am I getting old...

I have acid reflux, PCOS- polycystic ovary syndrome, which by the way it's correlated with autism, dizziness and chronic fatigue, high anxiety, probably depression, metal allergies SUPER annoying for earrings, scalp and skin allergies, to name a few.

Any topic, PM me; mind my profile.

Deep Heat
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Aug 2021, 3:08 am

A lot of the issues you have described, are probably related one way or another to what you are eating and hydration levels.

Listen to your body. The body never lies.

If you're eating too much sugar for example, even if it's natural, this will send your blood sugar levels on a rollercoaster ride and will leave you feeling wired and anxious constantly. Always try and buy the best quality food that you can afford at the time. You are, what you eat. Literally. Think wholefoods. Learn about gut health.

Learn what healthy bowel movements should look and smell like. You can tell a lot about your diet and hydration levels by this one simple check each day.

Make sure your properly hydrated with water throughout the day. The bodies something like 75% water, so it's essential to keep the body hydrated. Dehydration is another form of stress on the body. If your body is lacking water, it will leach it from other parts of the body like your joints or digestive tract and can lead to lower back pain and headaches.

Study breathing mechanics. If you're breathing improperly, in your upper chest, then this will send stress signals to your brain and keep you in a constant fight or flight feeling. Normal breathing patterns should come from the diaphragm, through the nose. ​

Study yoga, stretching, massage devices and trigger points. I've personally found muscle tightness to play a big role in anxiety. A stiff rigid body will lead to a stiff rigid mind.

Heat and cold therapy have many benefits and cost very little to implement.

Try and move enough throughout the day to meet the bodies energetic needs, which also helps build sleep pressure. If you find yourself stuck in your head too much, then try and drive your mind into the body. This can be as simple as focusing on your breathing or having a little dance.

Always remember health is something you do. Not something you talk or think about. If you follow a modern lifestyle, glued to electronic devices, highly processed diet, lack of sunlight, movement, obsessing over mainstream media, then expect to be anxious, depressed and have sleep issues. I'm not trying to be overly harsh or rude, but if you don't get the basics right, then no amount of medication, therapy or sympathy will lead to any long-time lasting effects.

Jib
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Aug 2021, 5:56 pm

Deep Heat wrote:
A lot of the issues you have described, are probably related one way or another to what you are eating and hydration levels.

Listen to your body. The body never lies.

If you're eating too much sugar for example, even if it's natural, this will send your blood sugar levels on a rollercoaster ride and will leave you feeling wired and anxious constantly. Always try and buy the best quality food that you can afford at the time. You are, what you eat. Literally. Think wholefoods. Learn about gut health.

Learn what healthy bowel movements should look and smell like. You can tell a lot about your diet and hydration levels by this one simple check each day.

Make sure your properly hydrated with water throughout the day. The bodies something like 75% water, so it's essential to keep the body hydrated. Dehydration is another form of stress on the body. If your body is lacking water, it will leach it from other parts of the body like your joints or digestive tract and can lead to lower back pain and headaches.

Study breathing mechanics. If you're breathing improperly, in your upper chest, then this will send stress signals to your brain and keep you in a constant fight or flight feeling. Normal breathing patterns should come from the diaphragm, through the nose. ​

Study yoga, stretching, massage devices and trigger points. I've personally found muscle tightness to play a big role in anxiety. A stiff rigid body will lead to a stiff rigid mind.

Heat and cold therapy have many benefits and cost very little to implement.

Try and move enough throughout the day to meet the bodies energetic needs, which also helps build sleep pressure. If you find yourself stuck in your head too much, then try and drive your mind into the body. This can be as simple as focusing on your breathing or having a little dance.

Always remember health is something you do. Not something you talk or think about. If you follow a modern lifestyle, glued to electronic devices, highly processed diet, lack of sunlight, movement, obsessing over mainstream media, then expect to be anxious, depressed and have sleep issues. I'm not trying to be overly harsh or rude, but if you don't get the basics right, then no amount of medication, therapy or sympathy will lead to any long-time lasting effects.

I do try to improve my life physically as I do in other areas.

I exercise and pump iron three to four times a week, my day job keeps me on my feet for hours on end, and I try to abide by a regular sleep schedule (I get ready for bed at around 6 pm).

I can make some improvements to my diet. While I failed MISERABLY to quit sugar, I did manage to leave alcohol behind. As I mentioned in another thread, I have been sober for four years.

I am retaking more magnesium, and water is my number one beverage.

I enjoy doing yard work, whether it is sunny or cloudy. The sunlight is a bonus.

@badRobot I've taken cold showers on and off for the past several years. Lately, I've been starting with a cold shower and finishing with a warm one. I need to get into the habit of purely ice-cold showers again.

As for these issues I have, they are more annoyances and nothing critical. Nevertheless, I am grateful for the tips given here. Thank you, guys! :)

Jib's Medium

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2021, 12:20 am

Level 2 ASD, Combined-Type ADHD, Mutism, Complex Trauma, Major Depressive Disorder, General Anxiety Disorder with Panic Disorder, Alexithymia, Agoraphobia, Scophophobia, Sleep Disorders (UAR, parasomnias, insomnia), Haemochromatosis, congenital heart defect, duplicated ureter (I have three), two acquired brain injuries (cerebellar strokes), hypertension, Gilbert's Sydrome (bilirubin issue), kidney damage from hydroureter / hydronephrosis, artificial bladder and other artificial pelvic parts, bowel resection, allergies, 24/7 bilateral tinnitus, double vision, a lazy eye, and a sprained foot.

Other than that I'm fine. I actually feel totally healthy most of the time.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2021, 12:22 am

Sjogren's Syndrome used to be pretty annoying for me, but since I caught Covid last year, my health has kind of been in the dumpster =D

Most of my Long Haul symptoms have come and gone, but I still have a lot of trouble walking: balance issues, fatigue, lack of energy, post-exertional malaise, shortness of breath, tachycardia, anxiety, brain fog, reflux, sleep apnea, etc. etc.

EdCase
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

30 Aug 2021, 12:42 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Other than that I'm fine.

:lol:

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2021, 8:34 pm

Chronic idiopathic rhinitis messed me up in the head more than anything really. And possibly my upper respiratory anatomy. It caused me a lot of sleep issues as well as other stuff.
Yes, it even surpasses any issues I have with autism. Though it was thought to be allergic than idiopathic.
Diagnosed/misdiagnosed, not well treated. Very unsuccessful for 20+ years now.

Various sleep issues. Probably tied to various causes -- from sensitivities to hormones.
Undiagnosed. Attempted to be treated. Not very successful. Fluctuating for about 18+ years now.

Just hormone issues in general. Unknown which or what. No surprises if it's reproductive.
Undiagnosed. Untreated. Unknown when it started -- probably around puberty, 13+ years give or take.

Anemia. Probably. Along with low blood pressure.
Not sure if it's a symptom of another condition or is independent.
Regardless I'm prone to it. Undiagnosed. Attempted to be treated. No major changes. Unknown when it started. Probably my whole life.

Occassional low grade depression here and there... It said to be I'd be a high functioning depressed. Likely hormonal than psychological.
Undiagnosed. Untreated. Fluctuating. Probably for 11-9 years now.

Whatever gut sensitivity or issue. No surprises if it's tied to autism in some way. No surprises if it's hormonal as well.
Undiagnosed. Attempted to be treated. Maybe since over 20+ years now.

Moderate myopia. It was out of habit. Maybe quite out of place.
Diagnosed and 'treated'. Developed since 15+ years from now. May or may not develop a form of astigmatism recently.
... I'd rather have a permanent solution.

No constant treatment.
No medications. Save for a very few that never lasted for 2 months long because I can't afford it.
No regimens recommend nor being followed.
No special diets.
No routines.

I'm lucky so far.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.