Do your interests make you better than most?

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Technic1
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Aug 2021, 3:35 am

Do your interests make you better than most in your area of interest?

Or at least better than average?

Technic1
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Aug 2021, 6:07 am

I’m not talking about being a better person.

I’m talking about a natural?

Or at professional level?

Technic1
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Aug 2021, 11:29 am

And does it take extreme focus for you to study your interests?

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2021, 2:56 pm

In some ways the intensity of my interests and the detailed research and thinking I put into them makes my expertise better than most. The thing about being a perfectionist is that you're likely to achieve results of a high standard. But sometimes there are blind spots that send me the long way round to achieve something when most other people would probably see the shortcut.

I do apply extreme focus, though I'm not sure it takes extreme focus, it's just the habit I usually fall into. I do have a sense that if I don't study a thing in depth, I won't really understand it very well. These days I often try to limit how much effort I put into things, so as to keep them from becoming too obsessional and detracting from the rest of my life, but it never feels quite right to skimp on the details.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2021, 3:55 pm

i would not say better except perhaps at aural discernment, my decades of audio restoration work saw to that.

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2021, 3:58 pm

More knowledgeable about details, not necessarily better in practice. Makes me think of a musical instrument being a special interest. I can learn about the history and background of the harpsicord, but still struggle to play it. A "natural" can come along and play it beautifully, even if he knows nothing of its background history and isn't really that interested in the instrument itself.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2021, 4:15 pm

My interests don’t really involve any sort of skill or finished products or anything, unless one wants to call the ability to ramble on for hours and/or make everything pertain in some way to that interest a skill :lol: Things like one specific movie or one specific band, where there isn’t really anything to measure talent, skill, or quality. I guess maybe Pokemon battles would count, but I’m not particularly good at those besides knowing all the type matchups. My interest is in filling the Pokedex, I don’t pay much attention to stats and stuff.

On occasion I spend hours searching the Internet for every trace of information I can find on whichever interest is my main one at the time. I naturally hyperfocus when that happens, but I don’t need any sort of effort besides being interested in it. I don’t know that that’s really the sort of “studying” you’re wondering about, but it’s as close as I really get.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

reginaterrae
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2021, 6:18 pm

Well, I do think so, at least better than other amateurs. I'm thinking of my interest in my natural environment. I can identify dozens of bird species easily by ear, lots of trees without their leaves, weeds and wildflowers, that kind of thing. I live next to a park that attracts a lot of avid amateur naturalists, as well as professional scientists, and I do think I'm one of the best at absorbing a lot of knowledge about our environment. It makes sense, doesn't it? There's nothing I like better than what someone else would call sweaty, scratchy, tedious field work!

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2021, 10:14 am

My interests are very questionable right down to my favourite symbol.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2021, 1:39 pm

Of course.
Obviously fans of Lulu are the most enlightened beings in the universe.

f**k Trump, there's our real God-Emperor, right there^^^.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

ronglxy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Oct 2021, 2:41 pm

I statistically seem to have high natural and professional "skills" in patterns thinking systems "ideas." High focus and intensity come naturally and need no forcing.

It may be an OCD to extend and complete "what's needed." The needs must be there, but are not just mine but something larger. The end results are often in math models of the something "large."

It's been my natural personal style since early elementary school, my parents say. I like it.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2021, 8:19 pm

When I was in my teens, I was told by a university professor I'd been infodumping to that I was probably at a graduate student level. So in my case, having an interest did make me more skilled.

Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2021, 3:02 am

The more time you spend on something, the better you get at it. If you pair that with a capacity for deep and long focus (as some, but far from all, people on the spectrum have), and perhaps what we for lack of better words call "talent", then you can become something of an expert in that field.

I've never had much of a social life (although I consider it the most important part of my life), so I was able to put a lot of time into my interests when I was younger. It gave me a steady career and income, but I don't consider myself an expert - part motivational issues, part lack of aforementioned talent.