25% young people in USA contemplated SUICIDE (Lockdowns)

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2021, 6:40 am

https://nypost.com/2020/08/13/1-in-4-yo ... -pandemic/

One in four young adults in the U.S. said they considered suicide over the last month, according to new government data that paints a bleak picture of mental health issues stemming from the coronavirus pandemic.

To cope with the stress from the viral outbreak, another 13.3 percent said they had turned to substances including alcohol and prescription or illicit drugs.

...the new study from the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) found that 40 percent of American adults reported experiencing mental or behavioral challenges tied to the COVID-19 crisis and measures including social distancing and stay-at-home orders.

The CDC itself admits these lock-downs have had some dire consequences. Some of you may interpret this as tragic consequence from a necessary evil. If you're a bit more savvy, you'll see more harm than good came from our response to a virus with a low death rate. These horrific effects are still happening.

It's like saying some people may get sunburn which might lead to skin cancer. Therefore, EVERYONE must remain indoors at all times and never even catch a glimpse of sunlight lest someone out there get a sunburn....

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2021, 6:42 am

6s

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2021, 7:00 am

Off Topic
I was suicidal for 10 years, in my youth.
Welcome to the club. 8)

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2021, 7:06 am

^ Your youthful suicidal tendencies weren't based on some government-imposed lock-downs enforced by legislation. You were just a "regular" suicidal case. The lock-downs amplified and created a higher-than-average rate of suicidal tendency in the youth...all in the name of saving lives! Your personal experience isn't applicable here. Go back to sleep.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2021, 8:30 am

A massive 25% of young people in the US considered suicide in the last month? By these stats every young person must think about killing themselves every 4 months.

I have the feeling this just isn't true and I get a little indifferent when I see someone making a scene out of mental illness. I think most people who say they suffer from mental health problems are actually lying now.

Udinaas
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2021, 9:37 am

The data doesn't say how much of this is caused by the lockdowns vs. the pandemic itself. It would have to compare the rates of depression in states with lockdowns to states without. I'm not going to deny that lockdowns have made you depressed if you think they have but the data could be used to support either side. I know the pandemic has affected my mental health more than the lockdowns have.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2021, 10:38 am

There was a increasing mental health problems among the young before the pandemic. That was often blamed on social media. The lockdowns added to reliance on social media.

Any comparison is hypothetical. A true moral comparison would be the suicide ideation and actual suicide related or indirectly related the lockdowns verses the additional deaths that might have been caused by no lockdowns. Instead of government mandated lockdowns how many self imposed lockdowns would have occurred? How many companies would have closed? For how long? What would have been the mental health costs of the hypothetical additional deaths and long covid?

Some business did go remote a week or so prior to government mandates.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2021, 8:39 pm

ezbzbfcg2 wrote:
^ Your youthful suicidal tendencies weren't based on some government-imposed lock-downs enforced by legislation. You were just a "regular" suicidal case. The lock-downs amplified and created a higher-than-average rate of suicidal tendency in the youth...all in the name of saving lives! Your personal experience isn't applicable here. Go back to sleep.

Incorrect.
I was a victim of ritual abuse, and then a victim of government-sanctioned/institutional gang-stalking.

So, you see, I was on the receiving end of government involvement. 8)

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2021, 12:47 am

People are stressed out because half your country is making an effort to end the pandemic while the other half is rooting for team covid death toll.

I hope the illicit drugs people are choosing to partake in are cannabis, psilocybin, and LSD. 8)

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2021, 10:35 am

goldfish21 wrote:
I hope the illicit drugs people are choosing to partake in are cannabis, psilocybin, and LSD. 8)

I hope not, we have way too many people hallucinating as is.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2021, 12:43 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

No no, those people are delusional - there's a difference. We have way too few people doing substances that make them peaceful, feel a oneness with humanity, mother nature, and the Universe, or dreaming up creative engineering solutions to humankind's many problems.

It's time to drop alcohol and cigarettes like the bad habits they are and embrace the benefits of psychedelics in order to have the type of cultural revolution necessary at this moment in human history for us to have a pivotal paradigm shift from individualism to the collectivism required to perpetuate our species on this planet we all depend on.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2021, 2:32 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

No no, those people are delusional - there's a difference. We have way too few people doing substances that make them peaceful, feel a oneness with humanity, mother nature, and the Universe, or dreaming up creative engineering solutions to humankind's many problems.

It's time to drop alcohol and cigarettes like the bad habits they are and embrace the benefits of psychedelics in order to have the type of cultural revolution necessary at this moment in human history for us to have a pivotal paradigm shift from individualism to the collectivism required to perpetuate our species on this planet we all depend on.

One cause of bad trips is negative state of mind. Another is taking too much ie. bad judgement. So lets have paranoid MAGA’s and Q’Anon people who will either believe 1. the proper dosage is some plot 2. All the warnings are fear mongering 3. Take more than they should to prove to themselves and others how macho they are and lets see how it goes.

Having been a teen in the 70s there were people who could handle it, but I saw plenty of acid casualties, not good. Even reefer the drug of choice due to affordability turned a lot of my peers into red eyed walking zombies.

On a personal note I stayed away. Combined with my unusual presentation
made people think I was a narc. Glad I stayed away. Undiagnosed autistic need for repetitiveness plus addictive drug would have meant I would not be around today or would be quite damaged. Fortunately I somehow knew I would have become addicted.

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2021, 7:30 pm

ezbzbfcg2 wrote:
https://nypost.com/2020/08/13/1-in-4-young-adults-in-the-us-contemplated-suicide-during-pandemic/

One in four young adults in the U.S. said they considered suicide over the last month, according to new government data that paints a bleak picture of mental health issues stemming from the coronavirus pandemic.

To cope with the stress from the viral outbreak, another 13.3 percent said they had turned to substances including alcohol and prescription or illicit drugs.

...the new study from the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) found that 40 percent of American adults reported experiencing mental or behavioral challenges tied to the COVID-19 crisis and measures including social distancing and stay-at-home orders.

The CDC itself admits these lock-downs have had some dire consequences. Some of you may interpret this as tragic consequence from a necessary evil. If you're a bit more savvy, you'll see more harm than good came from our response to a virus with a low death rate. These horrific effects are still happening.

It's like saying some people may get sunburn which might lead to skin cancer. Therefore, EVERYONE must remain indoors at all times and never even catch a glimpse of sunlight lest someone out there get a sunburn....

SARS had a 10% Case Fatality Rate, so by your logic in 2003 the average person in America had a higher chance to die from SARS than the average American did/does from COVID19 in 2020/2021. Of course you fail to realize that SARS was nowhere near as infectious as COVID19 is so the average American's chance of dying from COVID19 countless times greater than dying of SARS. For every death from either of those diseases there were many more that would have been in hospital on their way to dying. America only has 4 ICU beds per 100,000. When determining how deadly any given disease is, you have to factor in BOTH the mortality rate and how infectious it is.

You might just say well, let's just have the hospitals overrun right? Well when there is no more capacity left in hospitals, every other illness that anyone would normally use a hospital for would see it's mortality rate skyrocket. Have a car accident? Too bad. Have a heart attack? Too bad. Have a new child that's been born? Too bad. And so on and so forth. 60% of American's live with a chronic condition, imagine if the healthcare system collapsed, and the majority of those couldn't get access to healthcare because all the doctors were burned out, quit, tired, sick, occupied with the disasters at every hospital if you had your way, then what do you imagine the suicide statistics would be? How do you dream that the economy could have just acted like business as usual?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2021, 7:46 pm

The article implies that 75% have NOT contemplated suicide. The majority of people seem to have adequate coping skills, even for this pandemic crisis.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2021, 9:55 pm

ezbzbfcg2 wrote:
The lock-downs amplified and created a higher-than-average rate of suicidal tendency in the youth...all in the name of saving lives!

Have you tried looking on the other side of the fence?

How many people are depressed because a deadly virus is running rampant with no end in sight?
How many are depressed because hospitals are at max capacity and children are dying?
How many are depressed because family and loved ones have decided that The Golden Rule is some kind of political statement to fight against?
How many are depressed because they have unvaccinated family they're worried about infecting?
How many are depressed because they have children who are going back to schools without mask mandates?
How many are depressed because they've lost loved ones to the virus?
How many are depressed because Long Covid took away the life they used to live?
How many Long Haulers are depressed because they can't get proper health care, and doctors are gaslighting them?

How many people are depressed because the government isn't doing enough to stop this madness?

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2021, 1:02 am

Quote:

I like this analogy.

Life is all about risks. We can't stay hiding away from a virus that we have vaccines for for the rest of our lives. It's barbaric.