What 'special' interests have you had?

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

mohsart
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2021, 8:11 am

I can't not wonder, why do people want to know of my interests!
If you want to know, I was obsessed with native Americans, later Ninjas and Samurais.
What stuck was rope-work, and general works with fabric, like weaving or knitting.

/Mats

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2021, 4:00 am

Cold War & Soviet Union history

Maybe because it was a big thing when I was a kid on the news a lot so it kind of stuck with me to this day.

And before any reds under the beds ask, no I’m not a communist or linked to Russia in any way LOL

- George Bernie Shaw

RubyWings91
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Sep 2021, 8:27 pm

I've had multiple interests over the years, some which have lasted over the entire course of my life, others which have lasted for a certain period of time before fading.

My biggest interest has always been in learning about the world around me, which evolved into interest in the sciences, especially fields like biology(on a species to environmental level) and other fields like physics and astronomy. I actually have a bachelor's degree in environmental science as a result of pursuing this interest in a formal setting, although I have only really been able to apply it to temporary environmental education positions, so far.

On a similar note to other sciences, I have long had an interest in psychology, especially after I was identified with Aspergers as a kid. I wanted to know more about it and my interest spread to other conditions. I still pursue this interest intermittently.

I've also always had a love for the arts, always working in one form or another. It is often something I have mixed with my other interests over time and even today. Drawings, paintings, three dimensional pieces and other media based on real animals and plants or characters of games, anime, cartoons, other media that I might be interested in at the time. I'm not sure if this could be considered one of my special interests or just a hobby I'm deeply invested in, though.

Before getting into my special interests across media I hint at in the paragraph above, I'd like to say that I feel like my fanfiction writing, with a focus on what if scenarios could also possibly fall in the category of 'special interests' because I devote so much time to thinking about them.

So, among my special interest in games, cartoons, anime and other media have included but are not limited to; pokemon, Doom (the original games), Spyro the Dragon, The Dragon Ball Series, Invader Zim, Danny Phantom, Code Name: Kid's Next Door, Doctor Who, My Hero Academia and Welcome to Demon School Iruma-Kun. Most of the interest in these series are intense but, in the grand scheme of things, rather short lived. I suspect that the few exceptions, such as Pokemon and MHA are still interests in part due to the fact that the series is ongoing so I don't know everything about them.

I think something that drives me toward my particular interests is wanting to learn everything I possibly can but if there is nothing for me to learn, my interest in t wanes. That's why I think certain interests with pictures that can never be totally completed, such as sciences and arts, can hold my attention while others, such as cartoons and game series eventually lose my interest.

Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2021, 8:34 pm

As a child: Dinosaurs, video games, sports cars, gardening, icecream, cartoons, science, computers, etc.

As a teenager: PC gaming, fantasy, rock music

As a young adult: Architecture, electronic music, fashion

Early middle-age/now: Personal archiving

These days I have enough undertakings going on around me that I don't have time for personal interests. In fact, I've come to detest them due to the time invested, time I could've put into making friends, dating, developing my career, etc.

If you ask me what was important to me during those periods, I'd say family, friends, women, partying, succeeding academically, and keeping good health. Basically all those things I suck at.