Are male autistics smarter than females?

Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Technic1
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Aug 2021, 9:56 am

Or are they just diagnosing autism more in males?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2021, 11:01 am

Smartness is not part of the diagnostic criteria at all. If anything smart autistics are being underdiagnosed because they can present as eccentric not disabled.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2021, 11:34 am

Undefined. But I'd say it is irrelevant.

Unless going a bit way back, when females would usually be diagnosed if they're particularly more severe or has specific chromosomal abnormalities that came out of it.

The rest are either deemed rare, undiagnosed or misdiagnosed.

There are different areas of intelligence.
There are also different areas of adaptability and functioning.

I'd rather question what are the respective sex's and gender's inclination and "focus" than aptitudes alone.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2021, 11:43 am

Quote:
Unless going a bit way back, when females would usually be diagnosed if they're particularly more severe or has specific chromosomal abnormalities that came out of it.

That's sexism right there. :eew:

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2021, 11:44 am

No.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2021, 11:49 am

Yes. :P (Hehe! We even learned how to duck!)

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2021, 11:50 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
Quote:

That's sexism right there. :eew:

Everything is sexism. Even sexism is sexist these days!

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2021, 11:54 am

Even without the autistic bit added to it it's a complex and controversial area of research. What I have read more than a few times is that males are more likely to be at the extreme low and high ends of intelligence. The problem is that can be used by very misogynistic males against females. I can't provide info for it,it's very much an IMO thing, but I would argue that females are better at using what intelligence they've got. Whether the research on the general population applies re males and females on the spectrum I have absolutely no idea.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2021, 11:58 am

One thing is what my Mother says and I actually agree with her in this is that males and females are different, and part of the issues in the past (E.g. the 1970's when I grew up where they "Tried" to get men and women to be the same) is that it simply did not work.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2021, 12:22 pm

This is a bunch of nonsense, autism has nothing to do with how smart you are.

Also, intelligence is not determined by sex or gender.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2021, 12:26 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
One thing is what my Mother says and I actually agree with her in this is that males and females are different, and part of the issues in the past (E.g. the 1970's when I grew up where they "Tried" to get men and women to be the same) is that it simply did not work.

No. What nonsense. Women wanted to have opportunities that they were denied when they were quite capable of doing them.

It has worked. I have a job in a male dominated industry that I would have been denied in the 70s. And I'm allowed to wear jeans to work, not horrible nylon tights.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2021, 12:44 pm

Generally, yes. It doesn't mean Aspie females are dumb though, it just means that Aspie females are more likely to have an average IQ. Check out possible Aspies like Bill Gates for example. .

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2021, 1:05 pm

hurtloam wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:

No. What nonsense. Women wanted to have opportunities that they were denied when they were quite capable of doing them.

It has worked. I have a job in a male dominated industry that I would have been denied in the 70s. And I'm allowed to wear jeans to work, not horrible nylon tights.

How many mens lives are you willing to sacrifice to promote all companies to have a women only workforce?

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2021, 1:47 pm

hurtloam wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:

Right. Very few people actually advocated trying to make men and women identical. What most wanted was parity of rights, incomes and opportunities, and an end to forced gender stereotyping. They wanted it acknowledging that women can think as effectively as men can, that men don't have to be ashamed of having "female" qualities. And there's been a lot of progress towards all that.

Blue_Star
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Aug 2021, 1:53 pm

That's a bit of a logic leap. Wanting more opportunities & not to be auto-locked-out of positions, equates to neither sacrificing men nor all-women-only workforces.

There should be no discomfort in a man choosing to go into nursing, teaching, childcare, etc. or a woman choosing engineering, crime-fighting, etc.

To the original topic, one could argue that women/girls/females having lower diagnostic rates might indicate higher intelligence in their abilities to adapt better. Higher social iq would just be different, not lesser.

Mountain Goat wrote:
hurtloam wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:

How many mens lives are you willing to sacrifice to promote all companies to have a women only workforce?

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2021, 2:02 pm

Blue_Star wrote:
That's a bit of a logic leap. Wanting more opportunities & not to be auto-locked-out of positions, equates to neither sacrificing men nor all-women-only workforces.

There should be no discomfort in a man choosing to go into nursing, teaching, childcare, etc. or a woman choosing engineering, crime-fighting, etc.

To the original topic, one could argue that women/girls/females having lower diagnostic rates might indicate higher intelligence in their abilities to adapt better. Higher social iq would just be different, not lesser.

Mountain Goat wrote:
hurtloam wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:

I agree with blue star. You made a leap of logic there Mountain Goat I didn't say men couldn't have jobs.

Do you really think that I have taken a man's job? That it is not my right to use my brain to do something that I am good at?

I definitely think I was not diagnosed because I am intelligent, higher than average and did well at school even though my social skills were obviously bad.