Is it right to judge people on their appearance ?

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

chris1989
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2021, 9:56 am

I don't know why but in light of the recent shooting in Plymouth, it does make my blood boil when people look into the appearance and backgrounds of the individuals who carry these acts and then say he was a mummy's boy with weird hair living in isolation in their bedroom and being angry at the world because they have no friends and no girls like them. It even seems to portrayed and stereotyped like that even in popular culture and the media like that South Park character who is slouching at his desk on his laptop with food everywhere. I seem to remember someone posting a video where he hated the UK reality TV show The Only Way is Essex and one of those who commented said ''Oh Shut up! Its only because you can't pull any birds.'' probably because that person is criticising the Youtuber's appearance which is really unfair and horrible. It annoys me when other people view other vulnerable people as ''weirdos'' and ''stalkers''. Another thing I saw once was when a show asked an audience to judge individuals who were asked if they still lived at home with their parents and when a guy with long hair and hoodie was asked, they were like ''Oh yeah, he must still live with his parents.'' and he said he did. I personally don't think its right to judge people based on their appearance. Tell me what you think.

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2021, 10:09 am

I totally agree with you. Its unfair to judge people based on appearance and background. I been judged the same way and was always wondering why. And now that I hear that other people with bad appearance commit crimes it makes me feel like its unfair. Its like I have to be punished for what they did. Maybe thats the other layer on the damage that they make. Apart from the damage to the victim, they also damage the lifes of everyone else with bad appearance. Do you think people would have been less judgemental towards appearance, if not for those people?

One video that I saw just a couple of hours ago is this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXsB5lLgeH8 At minute 1:45 she says "I saw that she didn't have any friends so I became her friend". That attitude is so rare these days. Normally lonely people get isolated even more. So I thought its wonderful that she did exactly what I wish others were to do. But then later on in that video it turns out that said "lonely" girl attempted to kill her. And then I was like "maybe THATS WHY people don't try approach the lonely: maybe its because of people like her!"

But here is the other thing to notice. Did an ADULT help another lonely ADULT? Nope! It was the child helping lonely child! So maybe, as children, people are naturally sympathetic. But then when they learn more and more about all the stuff that is going on, their sympathy dies out. So who knows, maybe children won't judge by appearance either? Well, teenagers would. But what about pre-teen, like those girls were? Maybe pre-teen are very non-judgemental, then they learn to be judgemental as teens and then it continues into adulthood?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2021, 10:11 am

chris1989 wrote:
Is it right to judge people on their appearance?
While it may be unethical (depending on circumstance), there is nothing inherently "wrong" with judging people by their appearances, background, and behavior even though the judgement may be incorrect, especially if one's personal safety is involved.

If I see a man shaking his fists, expressing anger at the world, and making threats of violence because he has no friends/girlfriends, it is right for me to judge him as a potential threat to the safety of my loved ones and myself.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.