Page 6 of 8 [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2021, 12:53 pm

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
Alien because of the infamous "birthing scene" always makes me want to hurl.

A Ridley Scott classic. Filmed in UK. A horror suspense thriller. Creepy atmospheric sets designed by hr giger. a 6foot Sigourney weaver in skimpy panties. A iconic movie monster. Whats more could you ask for? The sequel is good too.

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2021, 6:31 pm

theprisoner wrote:
Alien because of the infamous "birthing scene" always makes me want to hurl.

A Ridley Scott classic. Filmed in UK. A horror suspense thriller. Creepy atmospheric sets designed by hr giger. a 6foot Sigourney weaver in skimpy panties. A iconic movie monster. Whats more could you ask for? The sequel is good too.

I'll definitely watch Aliens over Alien any day.

The first movie IMO will be a slasher movie, but set of course in outer space.

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2021, 6:35 pm

nah a slasher movie is friday 13th, halloween. Alien is a psychological horror suspense thriller with sci fi fantasy elements. It has much more depth to it than a mere slasher flick.

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2021, 10:56 am

I did not think of it as a slasher film. I always figured Alien to be an outstanding horror film and something of a Gothic horror. On the other hand I definitely do not like the so-called "Director's Cut"--and, apparently, the Director didn't, either. I do not want to ever again watch the "Director's Cut" and I hope that is not the one you are watching.

As good as the first movie was I agree the second movie was better. But it always struck me as being in a slightly different genre. Aliens struck me as being a cross between a horror movie and a war movie. If you have time there is a longer special edition that is even better and that the Director prefers.

The third movie, Alien3, was not as good as the first two and also had a slightly different genre feel. I thought it felt like it had a trace of Morality Play in it.

The fourth movie, Alien: Resurrection, was--to my mind--the least likable of the set. And I always figured it to be the "cheap" slasher film of the franchise.

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2021, 11:02 am

Doom: Annihilation

I saw the first Doom film. That was enough.

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2021, 6:10 pm

Double Retired wrote:

I did not think of it as a slasher film. I always figured Alien to be an outstanding horror film and something of a Gothic horror. On the other hand I definitely do not like the so-called "Director's Cut"--and, apparently, the Director didn't, either. I do not want to ever again watch the "Director's Cut" and I hope that is not the one you are watching.

As good as the first movie was I agree the second movie was better. But it always struck me as being in a slightly different genre. Aliens struck me as being a cross between a horror movie and a war movie. If you have time there is a longer special edition that is even better and that the Director prefers.

The third movie, Alien3, was not as good as the first two and also had a slightly different genre feel. I thought it felt like it had a trace of Morality Play in it.

The fourth movie, Alien: Resurrection, was--to my mind--the least likable of the set. And I always figured it to be the "cheap" slasher film of the franchise.

The director of Alien 3 (David Fincher) disowned it several years after its initial release, but did approve of a studio cut known as "The Assembly Cut", which was released in the early 2010s.

But you are right, Alien: Resurrection will always be the worst of this bunch.

Prometheus and Alien: Covenant weren't bad movies but IMO had big flaws each.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2021, 7:09 pm

Double Retired wrote:

can you tell me what specifically was about the director's cut that YOU didn't like?

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2021, 8:47 pm

I thought Prometheus [2012] had great promise...and was left hanging. Alien: Covenant [2017] felt somewhat detached from it and not more of the same potentially strong story arch...almost like they were trying to start a new, weaker franchise. I thought the former could have been the start of something great and the latter could have been the start of something OK but they followed through on neither and left us hanging on both.

auntblabby wrote:
...can you tell me what specifically was about the director's cut that YOU didn't like?
Sorry. It's been some time since I watched it so my memory of details is weak, other than the bad taste in my mouth. As I recall I thought they ruined the mood. They changed the pacing so it was no longer a Gothic Horror...it became more of a just OK (not great) science fiction horror B-movie. I also don't remember the details of the scenes they pulled from the cutting room floor and put back in but I do remember wishing I had not seen those scenes.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2021, 9:04 pm

^^^thank you for that information :study: a related thought, although it wasn't a horror movie, the director's alternate ending of "the crying game" was one that i wish to hell they had used instead of that lameass one that is in the existing film.

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2021, 3:55 pm

Double Retired wrote:
I thought Prometheus [2012] had great promise...and was left hanging. Alien: Covenant [2017] felt somewhat detached from it and not more of the same potentially strong story arch...almost like they were trying to start a new, weaker franchise. I thought the former could have been the start of something great and the latter could have been the start of something OK but they followed through on neither and left us hanging on both.

auntblabby wrote:
...can you tell me what specifically was about the director's cut that YOU didn't like?
Sorry. It's been some time since I watched it so my memory of details is weak, other than the bad taste in my mouth. As I recall I thought they ruined the mood. They changed the pacing so it was no longer a Gothic Horror...it became more of a just OK (not great) science fiction horror B-movie. I also don't remember the details of the scenes they pulled from the cutting room floor and put back in but I do remember wishing I had not seen those scenes.

I watched director cut years ago and had no problem with it, same with ridleys other classic "blade runner" .. I was just glad to see more scenes. It had a longer runtime right? i dont remember it being much different.

My interest in alien franchise faded away, in early-mid 2000s. i had the dvds. i even had alien resurrection for playstation in 2000. I remember talkin with a kid in primary school (elementary in usa?) about "aliens". (he might of been on the spectrum lookin back) Haven't watched the new ones, not really interested. i hear they totally disregard the plots of earlier ones.

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2021, 4:42 pm

Yeah it was ALIEN Quadrilogy i owned. Didn't have a dvdplayer, had to watch it on my PS2.

Ah, the good ol days.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2021, 7:41 pm

I agree. Usually the extended cut is an improvement...but think Alien [1979] is an exception (and from what I read online I think the director prefers the theater release version, too).

I also agree about it almost being like unrelated sets of movies. There were {the four Predator movies}, {the four Alien movies}, {the two AVP movies}, and {the two Alien prequel movies--Prometheus/Alien: Covenant}.

Supposedly they might make more Alien movies and at least one more Predator movie. Even if they were mediocre I would want to see them and add them to our collection...for completeness.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2021, 9:11 pm

i hated the director's cut of blade runner, i found the narration of the standard version to help me comprehend the plot and the sometimes mumbled dialogue, and the happy ending made it seem far less claustrophobic.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2021, 6:11 am

Anything else with Will Ferrell in it.

For years people would tell me how funny I would find Will Ferrell. I tried. Didn't do it for me. When I told people this the response was always the same: "Watch Anchorman - even people who don't like Will Ferrell love Anchorman."

I watched Anchorman. Nope.

SpiceWolf
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2021, 8:22 am

A little surprised that noone has said "Star Trek V" yet.
Even some rusted on Trekkies wont watch that movie.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2021, 7:00 pm

Howard the Duck

Event Horizon

Starship Troopers

Crash (the 1996 film directed by David Cronenberg)

Crash (the 2004 ensemble film that should not have won Best Picture)

Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas