Page 1 of 8 [ 121 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

Jib
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Aug 2021, 9:38 pm

So what are some movies that you refuse to see? Whether it's because they are poorly made or because they contain horrendously offensive content. There's no limit to having reasons to write off a particular film.

Here's my list:

Cannibal Holocaust
A Serbian film
The Human Centipede
Faces of Death
Cannibal Ferox
Ichi the Killer
I Spit on Your Grave
Salo: the 120 days of Sodom
Gummo
Any more movies made by Jason Friedberg & Aaron Seltzer
Any more movies made by Uwe Boll
Any more movies made by Michael Bay

Jib's Medium

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2021, 12:21 am

Jib wrote:
Cannibal Holocaust
A Serbian film
Faces of Death
Gummo

Well, that about sums up my list =)
I'm a little too chicken to watch Antichrist (2009), too.

And I don't want to see any more Disney Star Wars movies.

I kind of want to see Ichi the Killer, but I can't guarantee I won't cover my eyes at all. I'm desensitized to most gore, but there's certain types that still get me.

The Human Centipede is actually a pretty good movie, I thought. The only part that gets me is when the doctor snips the tendons in their knees, but it's a really short shot.
Part II is a lot more artistically done, but also WAY more disgusting. It was hard to watch, and I saw the censored version.
Haven't seen Part III yet.

I've heard that A Serbian Film isn't as gross as you think it's going to be, but Idunno...

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2021, 9:27 am

Disney's Star Wars. There's so much wrong with this trilogy, but I'll start with the elephant in the room. It wasn't preplanned. I don't watch sagas that aren't thought through. As a result, none of the films flow well from one to the next.

Sausage Party. The first R-rated animated film in years. I was thinking of seeing it until I heard what they did to the animators of this film. A hard pass.

Space Jam 2. I liked the first film when I was younger. I do not like LeBron James.

Marvel Cinematic Universe. It's way too late to start now plus later phases start to decline in quality and go up in wokeness.

DC Cinematic Universe. Sloppy start. Not a very good first impression and it gets worse from there.

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

Jib
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 Aug 2021, 9:55 am

Aspiegaming wrote:
Sausage Party. The first R-rated animated film in years. I was thinking of seeing it until I heard what they did to the animators of this film. A hard pass.

A sagacious move! Before I saw Sausage Party, I NEVER thought I would use the words "bagel" and "orgasm" in the same sentence! :eew:

Jib's Medium

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2021, 10:42 am

Trekkies [1997]

We saw it in a theater with some friends and it was way too scary for me! Sure, Alien [1979] and Jaws [1975] have their moments but with them I know that I am watching a movie--that it is not real. But, Trekkies is a documentary! It is real--those people are really out there! (Really out there!!) I found that immensely disturbing.

My bride refuses to ever again see:

District 9 [2009]

We saw that in a theater with a nephew who had suggested it. (I would've wanted to see it anyway.) He is not a Science Fiction fan and, despite having suggested it, did not enjoy it at all. My bride does enjoy Science Fiction and freely admits that District 9 is very well made--but she found some of the imagery in it to be grossly disturbing. (It caused her dry heaves in the theater. She did not actuallyvomitbut I really wish she'd turned to face the nephew when she was doing that, rather than facing me!)

Last edited by Double Retired on 17 Aug 2021, 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

1stSauce
Toucan
Toucan

17 Aug 2021, 10:59 am

Music [2020]

A grossly ableist, insulting and reductive piece of trash

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2021, 3:00 pm

(Anything that has a star next to it I have already watched only once)
The Exorcist
The Wolf of Wall Street*
Downsizing*
Battleship
The 50 Shades Trilogy
Alien
The Twilight Series
The Last Airbender
Spring Breakers*
Dune (directed by David Lynch)*
Waterworld
Sausage Party

Kerch
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2021, 3:44 pm

Yeah, I can take gore most of the time but Cannibal Holocaust is a big no if only because the actual animal cruelty.
A Serbian Film is an absolute no.

The Human Centipede is supposed to be a good movie and not as gross as it would seem, while the sequel is a million times worse. I'd like to see the first one and might try to stomach the second out of bile fascination.

As for Faces of Death, I'm honestly rather curious, I'll assess how bad it is before I decide.

Cannibal Ferox I'd not heard of until now, and it's quite a nope.

I've seen a little bit of I Spit on Your Grave 2, the torture scene, and that's quite enough. I'll spare myself the rest of the series altogether.

Salo is a no.

Haven't seen Gummo but I've read about it. It sounds like a pretentious and intentionally provocative artsy fartsy bullsh-t film people with taste don't care for, so I might check it out just to see if it's as bad as I've heard.

I've seen some of Friedberg's and Seltzer's films, they suck, but that makes me curious to see more to be honest. I've heard their 300 parody is awful and I need to know how awful.
Uwe Boll, though, his crap isn't even mildly entertaining. It's just crap. Skip.

I haven't seen a Michael Bay film all the way through in ages. I kind of want to watch maybe the first TMNT and Transformers he did but certainly not the whole series.

I've seen Sausage Party and liked it, but I wasn't really aware of how the animators were treated, that's terrible.

I'll avoid 50 shades for certain.

My own answer is anything by Roman Polanski.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2021, 3:50 pm

If anyone wants to know as to why I will never watch The Exorcist is maybe because of how intense the situation is in the movie so in turn I think I may not be able to sit through it without panicking! 8O

Kitsuna
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

17 Aug 2021, 7:39 pm

^ I tried to watch The Exorcist, but I chickened out. I know some people don’t find it scary at all, but it hit different for me :shrug:

My list:
-Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (scene in the end that was disturbing in the book)
- A Clockwork Orange

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2021, 8:07 pm

Personal opinion: The Exorcist [1973] film is not as good as The Exorcist [1971] novel. The book is excellent!

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2021, 9:25 pm

I tried watching The Hateful 8, but stopped watching it after 20-30 minutes.

As a matter of fact, I avoid watching Quentin Tarantino's stuff.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2021, 11:13 pm

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
Waterworld

I love that movie, but I've only seen the four-hour TV version of it, not the theatrical.
It's basically Mad Max 2 on water.

I like The Postman a lot, too.

Kerch wrote:
As for Faces of Death, I'm honestly rather curious, I'll assess how bad it is before I decide.

I've heard that most of the clips in those "films" are faked, but I'd still rather not. I'm not into snuff at all.
It takes me quite a while to recover when I accidentally watch/see that kind of thing.
I actually saw a VHS tape of one of them at Goodwill once >_<

Kerch wrote:
Haven't seen Gummo but I've read about it. It sounds like a pretentious and intentionally provocative artsy fartsy bullsh-t film people with taste don't care for, so I might check it out just to see if it's as bad as I've heard.

I don't think I'd be okay with the cat abuse scene, even though it's fake.

Jib
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Aug 2021, 10:17 am

Kerch wrote:
I've seen Sausage Party and liked it, but I wasn't really aware of how the animators were treated, that's terrible.

I looked up the animators' abuse last night, and it surprised me. I had no idea that they were treated so horribly! And I thought the nauseating scenes they were forced to animate were bad enough!

Jib's Medium

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2021, 10:20 am

I refuse to watch slasher/snuff movies and movies with violence against women, children, or helpless animals.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2021, 7:23 pm

Jib wrote:
So what are some movies that you refuse to see? Whether it's because they are poorly made or because they contain horrendously offensive content. There's no limit to having reasons to write off a particular film.

Here's my list:

Cannibal Holocaust
A Serbian film
The Human Centipede
Faces of Death
Cannibal Ferox
Ichi the Killer
I Spit on Your Grave
Salo: the 120 days of Sodom
Gummo
Any more movies made by Jason Friedberg & Aaron Seltzer

Gummo feels out of place on this list. It's depressing, but I quite like it.

Ichi the Killer is so over the top, it's ridiculous. Miike at his best, if that's a thing you like...

Salo is very difficult, but I still think it should be watched. it's quite sober, as a film, and surprisingly un-exploitative for a film in which everyone's naked all the time...

I haven't seen most of the others... Cannibal Holocaust I've seen but can't remember anything about.
oh, and Uwe Boll's Postal is actually fun.