Page 3 of 8 [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2021, 6:22 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I've never read or watched any Harry Potter, and I wouldn't want to.

I saw a preview once and it showed kids playing football on broomsticks in the sky?

It looked really fake. I hate special effects, and I don't do fantasy.

The Harry Potter films are sadly, awful. I really hope they remake them one day with better child actors and writers because the books deserve better treatment. But if you don't like fantasy in general then yes, I can imagine you'd struggle to enjoy Harry Potter.

I forgot to add that I refuse to watch The Hobbit trilogy because I really can't stand Martin Freeman and his presence in anything ruins it for me. And I love the LOTR trilogy.

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2021, 12:10 pm

DuckHairback wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:

I saw a preview once and it showed kids playing football on broomsticks in the sky?

The Harry Potter films are sadly, awful. I really hope they remake them one day with better child actors and writers because the books deserve better treatment. But if you don't like fantasy in general then yes, I can imagine you'd struggle to enjoy Harry Potter.

I've seen all the films. Half-Blood Prince is the worst one. It doesn't go further into Voldemort's backstory, does not explain WHY Snape is the Half-Blood Prince, and burns down the Weasley house instead.

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2021, 1:02 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:

It's kind of like football I guess, but more like soccer.
Or maybe like polo, or at least what I imagine polo might be like.
But basically, the score never matters, because once you catch the Golden Snitch, you basically win the game.

I always kind of skimmed past the Quidditch matches when I read the books.

They are kind of fantasy, but I was surprised to find out that they're all murder mysteries.

The first book is really hard to follow, it jumps around a lot...but I think she must've gotten a ghost writer to help with the rest of the books, they make a lot more sense.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2021, 1:53 am

Fnord wrote:
I refuse to watch slasher/snuff movies and movies with violence against women, children, or helpless animals.

Do these still exist?

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2021, 9:50 am

Jib wrote:
Quote:

Salo is very difficult, but I still think it should be watched. it's quite sober, as a film, and surprisingly un-exploitative for a film in which everyone's naked all the time...

From what I understand, it is a very disgusting film. Especially when you get to the circles of excrement and blood. Ugh!

yeah, but, well, not giving away too much, the circle of blood is more or less only hinted at.
That's what I meant, in part, by "surprisingly un-exploitative". It doesn't indulge in depicting things in a lot of detail. It's quite detached and and doesn't try to evoke any particular sense of disgust beyond being descriptive of the action. - there's so many ways this could have been utterly unwatchable for anything but a fetishist, but it's not.
The book is similar in that respect: it's such a bland shopping list of actions, it's hard to read. it's so boring. Pasolini did well to charge it with historic context and thus putting more emphasis on very real power relations.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2021, 8:46 am

Anything from the Marvel franchise.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

King0fSpades
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2021, 8:53 am

VegetableMan wrote:
Anything from the Marvel franchise.

I'll second that.

♤ The Military

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2021, 9:05 am

Quote:
Anything from the  Marvel  Disney franchise.
There.  Fixed it for you.

Marvel, Star Wars, Indiana Jones ... anything Disney touches turns into flash and glitz with no solid core.

This includes the city of Anaheim.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

King0fSpades
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2021, 9:10 am

Fnord wrote:
Quote:

Marvel, Star Wars, Indiana Jones ... anything Disney touches turns into flash and glitz with no solid core.

That is very true. Disney sucks. The only reason I even use the Disney + App is for CLASSIC Simpsons.

♤ The Military

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2021, 2:11 pm

Fnord wrote:
Quote:

I don't agree. I have enjoyed some Disney movies through the years, like Indiana Jones; not so much Star Wars. Still, my main interest in films is more along the lines of Cohen Brothers, Scorcese, Tarintino, and Coppola.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2021, 2:40 pm

VegetableMan wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Quote:

I don't agree. I have enjoyed some Disney movies through the years, like Indiana Jones; not so much Star Wars. Still, my main interest in films is more along the lines of Cohen Brothers, Scorcese, Tarintino, and Coppola.

This makes me wonder what the man Walt Disney would think of his company now especially with all the acquisitions, the live-action remakes of all the animated classics, and film adaptations of Disney theme park rides.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2021, 3:18 pm

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Quote:

This makes me wonder what the man Walt Disney would think of his company now especially with all the acquisitions, the live-action remakes of all the animated classics, and film adaptations of Disney theme park rides.

If it's true that Walt is cryogenically frozen, that question might be answered one day -' perhaps in your lifetime, but not mine. I'm too old!

Oscar Meyer Lansky

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2021, 12:13 am

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:

He'd probably think they aren't paying him enough.

King0fSpades
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2021, 9:34 am

I also refuse to watch any of the James Bond movies. He's a misogynistic sociopath.

♤ The Military

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2021, 9:37 am

VegetableMan wrote:
If it's true that Walt is cryogenically frozen, that question might be answered one day -' perhaps in your lifetime, but not mine. I'm too old!
Disney was cremated days after dying from lung cancer, and his ashes are interred in Glendale, California.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2021, 5:00 am

Fnord wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:
Disney was cremated days after dying from lung cancer, and his ashes are interred in Glendale, California.

Yeah but his ashes were interred in a freezer, just in case we ever develop the technology to reverse-cremate him and bring him back to life.