Dream job but missing one important qualification...

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2021, 11:15 am

I found a dream job listing that is very bird specific... Developing and teaching bird programs, performing bird research, lots of bird stuff I've done before...

But there's a catch, I meet all qualifications except one... They want someone with a Master's Degree in birds and I only have a Bachelor's!! !

Ouch!! ! Though I had a social worker say my bird knowledge is Masters level even though I don't have the degree...

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2021, 11:33 am

8O

Make sure to apply for it! Even if you don't have a master's degree, if you can convince them that you know enough, you might still get hired! The fact that they probably wouldn't have to pay you quite as much as to someone with a master's degree could help, too. Big shots like saving money where they can.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2021, 7:32 pm

I would still apply it to it.I have heard that the list of qualifications for a job is more akin to a wish list although i dont know for sure.But applying couldnt hurt so I would apply.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2021, 12:20 pm

Apply for it, anyway. You've got nothing to lose by doing so.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2021, 7:59 am

Fireblossom wrote:
8O

Make sure to apply for it! Even if you don't have a master's degree, if you can convince them that you know enough, you might still get hired! The fact that they probably wouldn't have to pay you quite as much as to someone with a master's degree could help, too. Big shots like saving money where they can.

That’s the approach I take

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2021, 6:50 pm

Did you apply?

Just yesterday I talked to a woman who had dropped out of college in her field then later put "self-taught" on her LinkedIn profile and by golly she got herself a professional job in that field. She was able to demonstrate her mastery (and further potential) regardless of degree. I plan to switch industries so am hoping for a similar thing: I don't have that particular degree, but my expertise in the role will shine through! (and I'll learn the rest quickly)

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2021, 10:46 pm

SharonB wrote:
Did you apply?

Just yesterday I talked to a woman who had dropped out of college in her field then later put "self-taught" on her LinkedIn profile and by golly she got herself a professional job in that field. She was able to demonstrate her mastery (and further potential) regardless of degree. I plan to switch industries so am hoping for a similar thing: I don't have that particular degree, but my expertise in the role will shine through! (and I'll learn the rest quickly)

Self-taught still counts as having that skill.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2021, 11:12 pm

One of the first jobs I ever applied for after uni was a zoo keeper because I had a biology degree.

I had a tough time convincing the job panel that working on microbes (I majored in microbiology) made me a better candidate than the 2000 other candidates with biology qualifications and some of whom volunteered at the zoo before.

I remember talking about how I loved visiting the zoo and had a passion for animals. While I didn't get the job the panel appreciated my enthusiasm and passion. So not having a masters can be overcome if you show competency and passion for working with birds. My guess is the interview panel will share your special interest and that may be enough to get you hired.