Scientists create matter from light for the first time.

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2021, 11:16 am

In a stunning demonstration of one of Einstein's most famous equations, physicists are claiming to have created matter from pure light for the very first time.

Primary Source:
 This Physical Review Letters Article 

Secondary Source:  This Space Magazine Article 

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2021, 9:34 am

Thank you for sharing this. I knew that they were working towards this experiment for a few years now. I see that they are ionizing gold nuclei to do a near miss pass to created the virtual photons. It is a good workaround, since they cannot currently make a direct photon-photon interaction with high enough energy to get the pair production process to work right. The reverse process can be experimentally done if you happen to have the right anti-matter target handy. They often use positrons for this, as it is a natural decay product from certain radioactive isotopes. The resulting photons are in the high x-ray range.

Hopefully it will give clues to the inner workings of String Theory. I will be happy either way if it proves or disproves some of my theories on this subject. Either way, it will get us closer to how matter/anti-matter is formed.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2021, 9:43 am

Nuclear power generation has more-or-less "proven" the matter to energy conversion process, and the nuclear bombs were based on this principle.

With this new discovery, however, I am just waiting for a Federation Food Replicator™ to become available...

:wink:

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2021, 10:42 pm

The catch is that the matter created from light can't actually exist on its own outside of the holodeck.