Taken for a Ride: The assault on public transport in the U.S

Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2021, 9:46 am

With The Current Failings of 'Humanity'.

Riding A Plane Is Becoming A Harder Job
For Those Who Attend to the Customers;

And Considering the Future of Pandemic(s)
And The Reality of Ignorance in Citizens,

No Thanks,

i'll Take A
Car Instead
Of A Train,
Subway,
Or Bus

And

Public Dance

And If i Have
to; i'll Use a Computer
To Do A Free Job too...

In Ease And Rarely
Travel Anywhere

"In Real Life,"

Even though

my Wife is Salivating

For A New 40 Thousand
Plus Dollar Suburu SUV,

Just to Frigging Visit
Walmart Two Days A Week
And the Mall Once A Week
And Other Miscellaneous
Shopping Trips While i Master

The Smooth Walmart Floors
And The Such With
Free Public Dance,
Where i Make Loitering A Higher Art

Now For 15,277 Miles in 96 Months

In Free Style Ballet
And Martial

Arts Where

Folks Keep Out

of the Orbit of my Arms
And Legs; Hey, If i can and will
Get Away With That in 'Trump Town,
USA', Imagine WHere i'll Travel Next Free too...

Anyway, Getting All
Close to Human

Beings

is Becoming

More of a Chore

And Real Present
Danger Now 'These

Days', Even in Grades
K Through 12, Deadly Indeed
of Public Ignorance Proliferating Still...

In Short, Beware, Avoid 'the Locals',

And Public Transportation, For Now;

Not Good For the Environment, True...

Yet At Least
Ya Might

Live
Longer
'This Way'
in One Lifetime Now...

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

vividgroovy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Aug 2021, 6:26 am

I never learned to drive. Here in California, that's considered unusual.

I think people are sold on the "freedom" of having their own car, but considering the expense and the fact that it's work to drive, I wonder if they might be sold on the "freedom" of a more efficient public transportation system.

Part of the plan for Walt Disney's unrealized Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow was to create a pedestrian-oriented city with public transportation provided by People Movers and monorails. Car traffic would be put on an underground level. I don't know if it would've worked, but it sounds pretty good to me.

I once worked at a place where they had a mandatory meeting every Saturday morning, which had virtually nothing to do with my job. I told them that in order to get there on the bus, I had to leave my house 2 hours ahead of time, just to attend a 15 minute meeting, but there was very little understanding for this. Sometimes, I would come in for it and they'd just be like "No meeting today!" :P

Also, while the vast majority of bus drivers I've known over the years have been nice, there used to be some who would yell at you for not having your money out at the (often unpredictable) moment they pulled up. I can't imagine yelling at a customer over something like that.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2021, 7:49 am

I'd rather have a 30-minute commute in a car than a 1.5 hour commute via public transportation.

Saying this, my long commute via public transportation gave me time to study for college.

I really don't like public transportation. There's lots of angry people on it (though most people just mind their own business). And, if I don't get a seat, it can be a pain in the butt. Sometimes, I see rats scurrying about. It's usually hot in summer. And a lot of stations just stink.

It should be noted that approximately 90% of the area of the United States is not covered by public transportation. You NEED a car to get around outside major metropolitan areas.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2021, 8:27 am

vividgroovy wrote:
[...] I think people are sold on the "freedom" of having their own car, but considering the expense and the fact that it's work to drive, I wonder if they might be sold on the "freedom" of a more efficient public transportation system. [...]
Look at it this way: Because I have my own transportation, I never have to put up with...

• Standing in a crowd of sick people while waiting for the bus or train to arrive.

• Getting hit up for spare change by strangers.

• Having to stand for an hour or more in a moving vehicle.

• Getting my pocket picked.

• The smell of feces, sweat, urine, vomit, and disinfectant everywhere.

My car gets cleaned once a week, whether it needs it or not.  Once a month, it gets fully detailed.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

vividgroovy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Aug 2021, 4:06 am

Fnord wrote:
vividgroovy wrote:
[...] I think people are sold on the "freedom" of having their own car, but considering the expense and the fact that it's work to drive, I wonder if they might be sold on the "freedom" of a more efficient public transportation system. [...]
Look at it this way: Because I have my own transportation, I never have to put up with...

• Standing in a crowd of sick people while waiting for the bus or train to arrive.

• Getting hit up for spare change by strangers.

• Having to stand for an hour or more in a moving vehicle.

• Getting my pocket picked.

• The smell of feces, sweat, urine, vomit, and disinfectant everywhere.

My car gets cleaned once a week, whether it needs it or not.  Once a month, it gets fully detailed.

Public transportation, in its current state, frequently sucks. On that we seem to agree. All I'm saying is, it would be nice if it didn't suck. Perhaps then, people might be more inclined to use it. Other people would still prefer driving even if public transportation was great, and I have no problem with that.

At work, people talk about how much customers hate the self checkout and how they'd rather have a cashier. Some people might prefer to be driven rather than have to drive themselves if it wasn't such a major inconvenience.

If you take the train on vacation, which I've done a few times, you just have to worry about getting off at your stop. Otherwise, you just sit there, look at the scenery and do what you like. They have restrooms and a cafe aboard and you can even have an alcoholic beverage. You can't do that when you're driving. Of course, I don't drive anyway, but I think there are some benefits to travelling by train that balance out the inconveniences.

Last edited by vividgroovy on 21 Aug 2021, 4:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2021, 4:26 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Same thing happened in LA. They trashed the cities well functioning street car system in the fifties. The demise of the system was spoofed in the early 90's movie "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?".

Good call. That's exactly what this thread reminded me of!: