I read my assessment out of curiosity

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Crystal1414
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Aug 2021, 6:40 pm

I decided I wanted to read what my assessment said. I read it and it kind of made me feel weird. It says that I am prone to aggression especially when frustrated. I also have processing issues that meant I needed one on one help at school. It also says I have a math learning disability and non verbal learning disability. I have Autism as well. It says moderate for that. I dislike functioning labels though. It also mentions that I have a developmental delay. I do not understand what that means. I think it means that I learn things at a different pace. It also says that I have poor fine motor skills. I do not think that sounds good. I can't write that well or tie my shoes. Then it says I have sensory issues. I have severe sensory issues to be honest. I rock back and forth constantly because every sound is louder for me. It also mentions that I have a hard time talking because of processing issues. It also mentions how I will most likely need extra assistance if I want to be independent. I feel kind of sad after reading that stuff. It seems like I have stuff wrong with me.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2021, 7:44 pm

Crystal1414 wrote:
I decided I wanted to read what my assessment said. I read it and it kind of made me feel weird. It says that I am prone to aggression especially when frustrated. I also have processing issues that meant I needed one on one help at school. It also says I have a math learning disability and non verbal learning disability. I have Autism as well. It says moderate for that. I dislike functioning labels though. It also mentions that I have a developmental delay. I do not understand what that means. I think it means that I learn things at a different pace. It also says that I have poor fine motor skills. I do not think that sounds good. I can't write that well or tie my shoes. Then it says I have sensory issues. I have severe sensory issues to be honest. I rock back and forth constantly because every sound is louder for me. It also mentions that I have a hard time talking because of processing issues. It also mentions how I will most likely need extra assistance if I want to be independent. I feel kind of sad after reading that stuff. It seems like I have stuff wrong with me.

There are good things that comes with autism also. But the purpose of diagnosis is to determine impairments not find the good parts.

Development delay means not being able to do things most people are able to do at your age.

Lack of fine motor skills means having difficulty making small movements with your hands such as writing and tying your shoes.

Even though it makes you sad I am glad you read your assessment. Knowing what you have difficulty with is helpful because you can work on improving those skills and also replace using those skills with using skills you are better at to accomplish things.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2021, 4:01 pm

Crystal1414 wrote:

Big hug :heart:

Wreck It Ralph

cornerpiece
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Aug 2021, 7:41 pm

Thanks for sharing! I can imagine how it feels, to read something like that.

I wish it also mentioned that you seem to be a brave and honest person.