Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2021, 8:12 am

’Everything’s Gonna Be Okay’ Will Not Return for Season 3 at Freeform

Quote:
Freeform has canceled Josh Thomas’s “Everything’s Gonna Be Okay” after two seasons.

Thomas announced the news on Twitter on Tuesday. “We’ve decided Season 2 of ‘Everything’s Gonna Be Okay’ will be its last,” he wrote. “I want to send an extra super special thanks to our cast, writers and crew who are talented, kind and passionate. We made the second season at the peak of the pandemic and everyone did such a beautiful job of keeping each other safe and happy and sometimes dancing. If any of these people ask you for a job, I highly recommend you say yes.”

The comedy aired its Season 2 finale in June, wrapping up a two-season run that began in January 2020. The series centered on Thomas’s character Nicholas, an Australian entomologist who becomes guardian to his two American half-sisters after their father’s death.

With “Everything’s Gonna Be Okay,” Thomas’ co-star Kayla Cromer became the first actress with an autism spectrum disorder to play a lead character with autism in an American TV show. The series also starred Adam Faison and Maeve Press.

Bolding=mine
I did not watch the show as I felt I would not “get it” as I am not remotely the target demographic. I am still glad it happened and want to thank all involved in making this piece of Autism history. Hopefully it will be picked up by another network or streaming service. If not I hope this was the first stage of successful careers in the entertainment industry.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2021, 8:43 am

This show was all over the place. It presented a lot of interesting topics without following through. Questions were asked, but no hint was given as to what sort of answers the producers had in mind. Typically, when a show seems to have "something to say" it goes beyond just asking questions. In particular, the main plotline in S2 which was the marriage between Matilda and Drea. From what little I could gather, most fans were opposed to the marriage, but the marriage happened anyway. What were the producers trying to say?

It didn't help that the show seemed to be targeted at teenagers although much of the material had a decidedly "adult" theme — but the "adult" theme never got "adult" treatment. I could see many teenagers being confused by this.

One problem it shared with Atypical is that it wasn't clear whether it was primarily about autism or sexuality. I don't see why a show can't be mostly about autism. There is certainly more than enough "queer" content out there already.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2021, 9:01 am

MaxE wrote:
This show was all over the place.  It presented a lot of interesting topics without following through.  Questions were asked, but no hint was given as to what sort of answers...
Yeah ... just like real life...

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

CarlM
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2021, 9:03 pm

I liked Kayla Cromer's acting and the Matilda character. Other characters not so much. I hope the idea of an autistic actor playing an autistic character takes root. I think it worked well here.

Benjamin the Donkey
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2021, 11:21 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Quote:
Freeform has canceled Josh Thomas’s “Everything’s Gonna Be Okay” after two seasons.

Thomas announced the news on Twitter on Tuesday. “We’ve decided Season 2 of ‘Everything’s Gonna Be Okay’ will be its last,” he wrote. “I want to send an extra super special thanks to our cast, writers and crew who are talented, kind and passionate. We made the second season at the peak of the pandemic and everyone did such a beautiful job of keeping each other safe and happy and sometimes dancing. If any of these people ask you for a job, I highly recommend you say yes.”

The comedy aired its Season 2 finale in June, wrapping up a two-season run that began in January 2020. The series centered on Thomas’s character Nicholas, an Australian entomologist who becomes guardian to his two American half-sisters after their father’s death.

With “Everything’s Gonna Be Okay,” Thomas’ co-star Kayla Cromer became the first actress with an autism spectrum disorder to play a lead character with autism in an American TV show. The series also starred Adam Faison and Maeve Press.

Bolding=mine
I did not watch the show as I felt I would not “get it” as I am not remotely the target demographic. I am still glad it happened and want to thank all involved in making this piece of Autism history. Hopefully it will be picked up by another network or streaming service. If not I hope this was the first stage of successful careers in the entertainment industry.

Anthony Hopkins (who is diagnosed) had already played a lead character in Westworld, an American TV show.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2021, 9:53 am

Benjamin the Donkey wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Quote:

Bolding=mine

Anthony Hopkins (who is diagnosed) had already played a lead character in Westworld, an American TV show.

I don’t believe Hopkins’s character in ‘Westworld’ is autistic.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Benjamin the Donkey
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2021, 5:10 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Benjamin the Donkey wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Quote:

Bolding=mine

I don’t believe Hopkins’s character in ‘Westworld’ is autistic.

Sorry, I missed that part!

Fixxer
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2021, 6:31 pm

Another time maybe...

Diverse4Me
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Aug 2022, 3:43 am

MaxE wrote:
This show was all over the place. It presented a lot of interesting topics without following through. Questions were asked, but no hint was given as to what sort of answers the producers had in mind. Typically, when a show seems to have "something to say" it goes beyond just asking questions. In particular, the main plotline in S2 which was the marriage between Matilda and Drea. From what little I could gather, most fans were opposed to the marriage, but the marriage happened anyway. What were the producers trying to say?

Actually I really enjoyed the show, and *liked* the randomness. Of course I'm ADHD as well as ASD and known to have very tangential thinking.

I also tend to like open ended plotlines. Say 25th Hour, or Solaris. I have actually seen both versions of Solaris, and read the book, and will say something that may offend Tarkovsky fans, I preferred the 2002 remake of his 1972 film. Sorry. Not just because it was more than an hour shorter either.

It did have a very good line in it that was I think... checking, and I was right, but will give more context.

“If you keep thinking there’s a solution, you’ll die here. There are no answers. Only choices.”

This guy seems to agree, and says something else I felt, but also sounds a bit like ASD and emotions :)

"George Clooney’s minimalist performance, which has been described as “wooden”. But Clooney’s Kelvin is not a man without emotion; he’s a man whose emotions would overwhelm him if he ever let them out."

https://www.rifters.com/crawl/?p=5566

ASD2, ADHD, Anxiety, Depression etc

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2022, 10:18 am

I've never watched that show. I've been wanting to watch it.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2022, 10:44 pm

As far as I know the only actor who has successfully played a character with the same disability they have in real life and who has reached some level of fame was Marlee Matlin.

There have been plenty of dwarf actors who have become household names who by default are cast as dwarves.

Anthony Hopkins, Wentworth Miller, Dan Ackroyd and Daryl Hannah have (to my knowledge) never played a character with autism