Why are late bloomers called late bloomers ?

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

chris1989
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2021, 12:10 pm

I don't know why but I know people have said to me before that people blossom into careers or other things live life at any age, but a part of me seems to think that the word came into being because it sort of implies its ''abnormal'' to finally to do the things later in life than your peers (for example: passing your driving test at 27 than at 17).

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2021, 12:22 pm

Would you prefer the term "Achievementally ret*d"?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2021, 12:25 pm

Prehaps they are called late boomers because they are late boomers. What is a late boomer anyway? What is a boomer? Why is the boomer late? Didn't they run fast enough?
Isn't a boomer a kangaroo or something?

Uhoh. Missread. Bloomers. Uhmmm.

Bloom. Flower. Late flowers? So they would be female? Pubity?

But does it mean that they get good at things later?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2021, 12:44 pm

Google and Wikipedia are your friends...

The term is used metaphorically to describe a child or adolescent who develops slower than others in their age group, but eventually catches up and in some cases overtakes their peers; or an adult whose talent or genius in a particular field only appears later in life than is normal -- in some cases only in old age.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2021, 12:48 pm

Because it's kinder than saying the-yet-to-achieve.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2021, 12:58 pm

Fnord wrote:
Google and Wikipedia are your friends...

The term is used metaphorically to describe a child or adolescent who develops slower than others in their age group, but eventually catches up and in some cases overtakes their peers; or an adult whose talent or genius in a particular field only appears later in life than is normal -- in some cases only in old age.

Ah. That is it. :) I had a feeling that it was something like that.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2021, 3:14 pm

Am I the only one on this website who knows how to use a search engine?

:roll:

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2021, 3:42 pm

Fnord wrote:
Am I the only one on this website who knows how to use a search engine?

:roll:

I once looked for a film called "Murder by Death" on youtube and had a real video come up of a terrorist shooting somewhere in the middle east.
Another time I tried to put in Thomas the Tank engine again into youtube and up came someone having sex a minute or two into what looked like an innocent video.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2021, 3:54 pm

Am I the only one on this website who knows how to use a search engine properly?

:roll: :roll:

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2021, 3:59 pm

Fnord wrote:
Am I the only one on this website who knows how to use a search engine properly?

:roll: :roll:

Hahahahaha! Probably! :P

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2021, 4:20 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
Another time I tried to put in Thomas the Tank engine again into youtube and up came someone having sex a minute or two into what looked like an innocent video.

At least it wasn't rule 34 of Thomas the Tank Engine. :lol:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

professorkiki33
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Aug 2021, 7:36 pm

The term "late bloomer" also comes from the observation of blooming flowers. Flowers and most plants do everything the same on a cycle, so when the season of spring comes along the flowers of the same species all begin to bloom at the same time - a late bloomer would be an individual flower who did not bloom (produce their flower petals) at the same time as the rest of their species; thereby, the analogy of a late bloomer but in human form (one who did not mature at the same rate as the rest of their species).

Follow me on Instagram for spiritual digital art stuff: https://www.instagram.com/kikicosmicguide/

Check out my Coloring Book: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0989VKSBY

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2021, 10:40 pm

professorkiki33 wrote:
The term "late bloomer" also comes from the observation of blooming flowers. Flowers and most plants do everything the same on a cycle, so when the season of spring comes along the flowers of the same species all begin to bloom at the same time - a late bloomer would be an individual flower who did not bloom (produce their flower petals) at the same time as the rest of their species; thereby, the analogy of a late bloomer but in human form (one who did not mature at the same rate as the rest of their species).

This.

It aint rocket science. And you dont even need Google or Wiki. When you hear the term used the above is the mental image it conjures up. Not difficult. Not derogatory. Its a simple obvious analogy than any child can understand. :roll: