Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2021, 3:11 pm

Hi guys...

Move or stay in my apartment forever is the new question...

We got letters about major changes were coming to the lease, rent based on income, etc... We had a meeting to discuss it today...

I'm currently on a month to month rent based on income lease... But because of changes, the bad is everyone will have to go on a year to year lease... With a huge penalty if you choose to move... However, they're going to start rent control... Which means whatever rent we pay now we pay forever as long as our income stays below 80% this areas median income... this is a very small, boring town, but it means no matter how much my SSI ever goes up, or even if I get a job around here, my rent will still be about $200... Forever...

People saying I better take that deal... I have a meeting next week because a business two blocks from where I live needs a data entry person...

But that would mean staying in a boring place, but with security...

But my apartment manager heard from neighbors about my meltdowns, he wants to make sure I have support, but says I'm fine here.

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

professorkiki33
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Aug 2021, 7:32 pm

Why do you say the word "forever"?

If you take the deal at $200/per month and lock in for a yearly lease, it means you will have the opportunity to renew your lease or move out in (1) year... Right?

So you would stay in a boring place with security for another year (at least).

Have you looked at what your other options are? Maybe making a pros and cons list could help you better decide, but I think that if you don't have other options and will get a job in the area, then if I understand correctly it would only be one more year, only 12 more months, not so bad.

Definitely read over the lease agreement and make sure that you have the option to renew or terminate the lease without penalty after every 12 months and that the rent amount is truly what they say it will be.

Good luck and I hope everything works out for you :)

Follow me on Instagram for spiritual digital art stuff: https://www.instagram.com/kikicosmicguide/

Check out my Coloring Book: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0989VKSBY

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2021, 8:40 pm

I would stay, if I were you.

If you get the data entry job, you can save to get a car.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2021, 12:40 am

How much are market rate rents where you are for similar accommodations?

I would probably also stay unless I HATED the placed and LOVED it somewhere else that I could easily afford.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2021, 7:33 am

$200 a month is cheap-----no matter where you are in the "first world."

Back in 1981, when I first moved from my mother, I paid $300 a month rent.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2021, 12:07 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
$200 a month is cheap-----no matter where you are in the "first world."

Back in 1981, when I first moved from my mother, I paid $300 a month rent.

It's definitely cheap here where a 1 bedroom apartment rents for ~$2000, but it only matters what local comparable rents are where the OP lives.

If it's $200 there and they HATE it but it's $280 somewhere else that they LOVE and they can easily afford the extra, then it may not make sense to stay.

But if it's several times the price elsewhere And this $200 deal relieves financial pressure so they can relax about other things, focus on stability/mental and physical health, afford better quality groceries/nutrition etc it might be a total no brainer to stay put and make the most of having such affordable rent.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2021, 1:28 pm

In the small city near where she lives, a decent small apartment seems to go for about $500-$700.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2021, 5:54 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
In the small city near where she lives, a decent small apartment seems to go for about $500-$700.

So then unless you're moving to a drastically better/safer neighbourhood or to a different city, if it were ME I would probably never EVER move. I'd take full advantage of having super cheap rent forever. UNLESS I suddenly had so much money I could easily afford to live anywhere I wanted, then whatever, give it up and let someone else have cheap rent.

$200/mo is unheard of cheap around here. Even single bedrooms can cost over $1000/mo just for the bedroom + shared home. But even comparing to the OP's area of $500-700, $200 is a steal!

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

22 Aug 2021, 12:25 am

If you are locked into a contract with your lease, you might be able to get out early with little penalty if you say that you need to move due to medical reasons. When you want to move you could say your mental health is not doing well & you are worried that your meltdowns are getting worse. Since your neighbors have mentioned your meltdowns to your property manager already, property management could be worried about the other tenants getting upset & a potential conflict developing. It would also help when the time comes if you get a medical form filled out by your doc &/or psych explaining why you need to move.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition