A weird one- would welcome your thoughts

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2021, 8:50 am

My (step) daughter got me a stool so I can put my feet up and hopefully sort out my swollen right foot. It’s a great idea, but both last night and this afternoon there’s been problems.

I set a time with Alexa.Put my feet up and close my eyes to relax. Then I get panicky and the hyperventilating starts! It does that repeatedly while my feet are up and I’m trying to relax. I can think of no logical explanation for it .

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2021, 9:09 am

Both feet up?
Does this happen whenever you close your eyes or it took time?

Maybe your balance sense and proprioceptive sense are so bad, a part of your brain thinks you're floating -- then due to your torso is up but your legs are down, and the sensation of not having the control and thus 'adjusting'.

But there's nothing to adjust to compensate (sight, sensation of the ground, unusual position), therefore freaking out? :o

Or maybe something deep seated. Like going to the dentist and sitting on a dentist chair?

These are guesses.

How often had you ever sat that way?

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2021, 9:59 am

Edna3362 wrote:
Both feet up?
Does this happen whenever you close your eyes or it took time?

Maybe your balance sense and proprioceptive sense are so bad, a part of your brain thinks you're floating -- then due to your torso is up but your legs are down, and the sensation of not having the control and thus 'adjusting'.

But there's nothing to adjust to compensate (sight, sensation of the ground, unusual position), therefore freaking out? :o

Or maybe something deep seated. Like going to the dentist and sitting on a dentist chair?

These are guesses.

How often had you ever sat that way?

Thanks Edna, My (step) daughter gave me the stool on Monday
It doesn't happen whenever I close my eyes. Someone on another forum mentioned proprioception, so that's a good comment. My balance has never been good, but has got even worse in the last 18 months or so . I'm on the waiting list to see a neurologist.

Your comment re adjusting and compensating etc doesn't spring readily to my mind, but it could be true at a subconscious level.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2021, 10:09 am

It might be something you have to get "used to."

This might be a matter of "muscle memory."

Perhaps you could run this by your stepdaughter when she comes over next. Maybe put your foot on the stool with her around.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2021, 10:32 am

Thanks Kraftiekortie. Definitely something to consider.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2021, 11:39 am

Vision is involved in balance, so closing your eyes might be the wrong thing to do. For those times when you elevate the foot/feet, do something with eyes open such as watching TV or reading.

Alternatively, you can elevate the foot lying in bed. If you start to feel like you're falling, let yourself! There's nowhere you can go if lying in the center of your bed.

You could either put the stool up on the bed, or make a mountain of pillows to put under your knees and calves. I get edema in one foot and often elevate the legs using two foam wedges one on top of the other. (This is in bed.) Then I can fall asleep, listen to radio or watch tv while I sit/lie this way.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2021, 12:20 pm

^ Thanks for your suggestions. I'm a little puzzled by the balance and vision thing. Sure enough I'm bad at closing my eyes and balancing on one foot. However re this, I'm sat on a sofa with the stool in front of me.

Not saying you're wrong,I'm just puzzled.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2021, 1:23 pm

This is normal. Everyone has less balance with their eyes closed.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2021, 1:42 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
This is normal. Everyone has less balance with their eyes closed.

True- but it's the degree of the effect, rather than whether it happens or not.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2021, 7:42 pm

maybe you need to get an expensive reclining chair.

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2021, 8:27 am

We have a foot stool and my husband puts his feet up on it all the time (the cat would settle comfortably on his lap). I have tried a few times over the years but can't (and the cat never sits on my lap b/c who wants to be jostled aside all the time).

I was curious b/c I don't relax much (if at all), so if I were to lift my feet to relax I would feel uncomfortable, I definitely would not be able to close my eyes (overwhelming emotions which feel physical). I can relax in a hot tub, but I don't close my eyes --- I watch the water.

I googled it and "Relaxation-Induced Anxiety" is a thing.

Do you have experience relaxing in other ways?

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2021, 8:37 am

SharonB wrote:
We have a foot stool and my husband puts his feet up on it all the time (the cat would settle comfortably on his lap). I have tried a few times over the years but can't (and the cat never sits on my lap b/c who wants to be jostled aside all the time).

I was curious b/c I don't relax much (if at all), so if I were to lift my feet to relax I would feel uncomfortable, I definitely would not be able to close my eyes (overwhelming emotions which feel physical). I can relax in a hot tub, but I don't close my eyes --- I watch the water.

I googled it and "Relaxation-Induced Anxiety" is a thing.

Do you have experience relaxing in other ways?

This might be somewhat left field but one thing I struggle with is the 'let your arm(s) go floppy' instruction

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2021, 8:42 am

This is why you should have your stepdaughter present when you start doing these things.

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2021, 6:30 pm

firemonkey wrote:
This might be somewhat left field but one thing I struggle with is the 'let your arm(s) go floppy' instruction

That's my ASD-like daughter!! ! She was chosen for a demonstration in martial arts this year (b/c she is awesome! that "eye of the tiger" focus) and at the end of the demo the instructor said "at ease" and she stood there on the tip of her toes -tense and he looked back at her and said "at ease" - went over and gently patted her arms. I don't think she attained it, but she's young yet. I learned to find body "neutrality" (floppiness) in theater classes. Oooo - that reminded me just now to let my shoulders relax (drop).

My NT husband (the feet-on-stool-all-the-time person) on the other hand is readily at ease... he melts into the couch. An abundance of floppiness there. :wink: Universal balance of floppiness. You got yours? :wink:

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2021, 6:42 pm

Have always thought that my body required the sense of dynamic tension to feel remotely normal .
Only the last few years i have learned to actually relax my entire body section by section.

where ever you go ,there you are

Fern
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2021, 8:00 pm

firemonkey wrote:
My (step) daughter

Did she give you a step stool because she is your step daughter?

:D ...

... anyone?