Have you ever been compared to a murderer?

Page 5 of 6 [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Have you been compared to a murderer before?
Yes 41%  41%  [ 11 ]
No 44%  44%  [ 12 ]
Not sure 15%  15%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 27

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2021, 5:22 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
It’s inevitable that the link between school shooters and autism will come up in a thread such as this.

I didn’t mean to upset any one.

I expected this, but it's still not fully on topic since I'm not asking "do you think there's an actual link between autism and school shooters", I am asking "have you ever been compared to one and why do you think people said that". I don't even mind an occasional comment about it, I just don't want that topic to overtake the whole thread since there are other threads already addressing it. I will admit it was a mistake for me to entertain the conversation in an attempt to conclude it, and I should have just asked mods to move the comments about it or something.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2021, 5:23 pm

Quote:
And leading to Joe’s irritations. And her shame at being perceived by others as seeming to be autistic or Aspergian, or whatever. I’m reacting, mostly, to Joe’s being ashamed at being diagnosed with Asperger’s. No shame should be attached to having an Autism Spectrum Disorder.

Yes, I do have a hard time accepting my ASD so every time I read about another shooter/murderer having autism I just cringe at the thought of sharing the spectrum with these monsters. Each murderer that has autism (diagnosed or suspected) just pins a bad reputation on the autism community even more, and I worry about our future.

I read a lot of magazines and there are often people that murder their own children or spouse, but autism is never mentioned. Usually they murder out of spite or jealousy, which I think is very drastic, and these people are usually defined as psychotic. They aren't loners but they're not genocides either.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2021, 5:28 pm

HeroOfHyrule wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
It’s inevitable that the link between school shooters and autism will come up in a thread such as this.

I didn’t mean to upset any one.

I expected this, but it's still not fully on topic since I'm not asking "do you think there's an actual link between autism and school shooters", I am asking "have you ever been compared to one and why do you think people said that". I don't even mind an occasional comment about it, I just don't want that topic to overtake the whole thread since there are other threads already addressing it. I will admit it was a mistake for me to entertain the conversation in an attempt to conclude it, and I should have just asked mods to move the comments about it or something.

I'm sorry I turned your thread into what you didn't want it to be, but 'autism' and 'murderer' being used in the same sentence is a very sensitive subject to some, and it can't be helped that it will turn into a discussion about it because of there recently being (another) autistic shooter. Also I'm just angry that people can have the heart to say to an autistic person that they're school shooters. I'm just hoping that what Kraftie said was right; that people just say that to bully and not actually think that we're potential killers.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2021, 5:29 pm

One of my pet peeves….is people thinking of themselves as inferior or defective by virtue of having autism. Especially when “genetics” are discussed pertaining to autism.

Godammit! We are NOT defective genetically.

Being compared to a murderer only reinforces all this.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2021, 5:32 pm

It’s inevitable that a bunch of intelligent people who have strong feelings will expand the premise of any given thread.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2021, 5:35 pm

I've never been compared to a murderer. Although maybe I should be compared to a mission-oriented serial killer that targets types of people they feel are not needed in this world (in my case it's anti-vaxxers, politicians, covid deniers, politicians, ablists, politicians, incel terrorists, politicians, Bible thumpers and politicians), but are usually not* psychotic.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2021, 5:36 pm

I've asked the mods to move comments about the link between autism and becoming a school shooter/serial killer. I don't really care if people are incapable of staying on topic or what feelings they have about this, because I've asked multiple times for people to stop going off topic which has been blatantly and rudely ignored.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2021, 5:40 pm

That’s the way the cookie crumbles.

Intelligent discussions don’t always stick to a very narrow framework.

I don’t feel I was being “rude.” But if you feel I was, then I apologize.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2021, 5:48 pm

Nobody was being rude. Some people just got triggered. It's a very sensitive subject to discuss after a recent shooting happened by a guy with autism. But you wasn't to know that, so I'm not blaming you. I often write a thread that I later regret. Common impulsive mistake.

OK, I will answer the question. No I haven't been compared to a murdering nutter. Yes most of the people in this thread have, and that is what I found triggering.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2021, 8:05 pm

Yes i have been compared to Jeffrey Dahmer because I am church of Christ like he was.

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2021, 5:01 am

Hmm, I hope not. Usually I'm considered pretty friendly and social. I kiss and hug everyone (not so much during Covid) and cook big meals to feed them. I admit that some of that is act, ways to compensate the fact that I didn't feel deeply inside. Empathy doesn't come naturally, but I think that's OK. My friends don't really know that I'm autistic. I don't know which seems more dangerous, emotional people who gets violently angry, or those who are always rational and don't have much emotions?

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2021, 6:32 am

y-pod wrote:
Hmm, I hope not. Usually I'm considered pretty friendly and social. I kiss and hug everyone (not so much during Covid) and cook big meals to feed them. I admit that some of that is act, ways to compensate the fact that I didn't feel deeply inside. Empathy doesn't come naturally, but I think that's OK. My friends don't really know that I'm autistic. I don't know which seems more dangerous, emotional people who gets violently angry, or those who are always rational and don't have much emotions?

Well in the US the quiet people are the murderers, and in most other places the openly angriest people are the murderers.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2021, 9:52 am

HeroOfHyrule wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
It's just America, there's always school shootings there and always by nutters that happen to be autistic. I know this was in the UK but was the nutter that shot the primary school in Dunblane in 1996 autistic like the rest of them? Suppose he was. :roll: Are there ANY allistic school shooters?

Most school shooters aren't autistic, and seem to have social issues due to the emotional issues they have from familial abuse (they act out, don't know how to treat other people, get ridiculed for it, get resentful over the ridicule, etc.). Even though I don't think people associate autism with mass shootings, I do hear some people read that they had "social issues" and they immediately speculate whether it was autism, though that's a minority of people and I usually see other people dismiss that as bull.
unfortunately I learned this years ago so I don't remember if it was a documentary or something I read. But I remember that there had been a study on school shooters in the US which found that, I believe, if I remember correctly, (I saw this years ago) every single one of was either on or had just gotten off of a specific medication. I will have to research and see if I can find that again. I think it was some kind of anti depressant.

Wreck It Ralph

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2021, 9:57 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
It is not a brag, it was very hurtful and depressing to me...

That said top this: during an actual active shooter situation where we were on a lockdown a girl told me 'I'm surprised you aren't the shooter' she apologized days later, but like uhh even though I forgive her like that was really mean.
Wow! What a cruel thing to say. I can't even imagine how terrifying that situation must have been. :heart:

Wreck It Ralph

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2021, 9:57 am

HeroOfHyrule wrote:
Have you ever been compared to a murderer?
Only when someone was trying to be overly dramatic.

"You murdered my feelings for you." -- Ex-girlfriend, right after she dumped me for a wealthier man.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2021, 10:01 am

AprilR wrote:
Earthbound_Alien wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
God autism is so shameful. Fancy having something that has people comparing you to a serial killer? People who kill innocent people are the most evil monsters to ever walk this planet.

To answer this stigmatizing question, no I never have been compared to killers. I don't have those traits mentioned in the OP anyway. In fact people have often compared me to a professional therapist because of how emotionally intelligent I am, and now people are comparing me to an animal whisperer because of how good I am with animals, especially cats and rats.

No its not shameful

Autistic people are sweet

The incel whom murdered people was not autistic. case in point:

I have not made connections since school: I have never made connections, even at school....you don't, as an autistic person, have connections then loose the ability to make them.

He was schizophrenic.

Not everyone rejects autistic people. I am autistic...i had boyfriends and men whom loved me until I moved to Norfolk where I don't fit in (they won't accept me here), sometimes autistic means quirky and cute and funny...not psycho killer.

Any autistic person whom is a killer has comorbids...or has been abused in their mind whether the abuse is real or not.

The man shot himself in the head...I feel for him.

I know what he did was wrong but he shot himself in the head...

He was lonely.

Agreed. There is nothing shameful about something you are born with, esp. Something like autism.

But it is hard to get rid of those feelings of shame and self hatred when every one around you and the society you live in constantly hurts you. Sometimes people can't help but feel a certain way even when knowing it is not true or fair to themselves.
I 100% relate to that.

Wreck It Ralph