Have you ever been compared to a murderer?

Page 1 of 6 [ 90 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Have you been compared to a murderer before?
Yes 41%  41%  [ 11 ]
No 44%  44%  [ 12 ]
Not sure 15%  15%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 27

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2021, 2:50 pm

I've noticed it's not uncommon for autistic people to be compared to serial killers and mass shooters. It's probably due to some of us being "loners", being relatively monotone, having problems expressing our emotions, etc. which are all traits people attribute to murderers.

Has anyone here been told that they "come off" like one of those things, or that people "wouldn't be surprised" if you did something like that? Do you know why you were told that?

When I was in school I had people make jokes about me becoming a school shooter, and when my high school had bomb/shooting threats people tried to pin it on me, including a couple of my "friends". People thought I was "weird" and quiet, plus I had trouble making and keeping friends, so people even told me to my face that was part of why they thought it was funny to compare me to a school shooter.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2021, 2:56 pm

Yes. My mom (now dead), and a calculate instructor had the nerve to tell me that "you look like you want to kill someone"

A homophobic civil engineer, (San Diego 2006), had the nerve to tell me "you make people uncomfortable with the way you dress. The purpose of life is helping people. If I was killing people you would think I was a monster!". Mr redelings implied that the moral equivalent of cross dressing was "killing people"

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2021, 3:39 pm

God autism is so shameful. Fancy having something that has people comparing you to a serial killer? People who kill innocent people are the most evil monsters to ever walk this planet.

To answer this stigmatizing question, no I never have been compared to killers. I don't have those traits mentioned in the OP anyway. In fact people have often compared me to a professional therapist because of how emotionally intelligent I am, and now people are comparing me to an animal whisperer because of how good I am with animals, especially cats and rats.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2021, 3:48 pm

Joe90 wrote:
God autism is so shameful. Fancy having something that has people comparing you to a serial killer? People who kill innocent people are the most evil monsters to ever walk this planet.

To answer this stigmatizing question, no I never have been compared to killers. I don't have those traits mentioned in the OP anyway. In fact people have often compared me to a professional therapist because of how emotionally intelligent I am, and now people are comparing me to an animal whisperer because of how good I am with animals, especially cats and rats.

I didn't intend to "stigmatize" anything, I was just curious about how many people here have been compared to this stuff, since I know it happens. I also don't think being an "animal whisperer" or "emotionally intelligent" prevents someone from being compared to this, I've been told those same things by people who actually know me, but that doesn't mean people who don't know me well, decide they don't like me, and who like spreading rumors aren't going to see certain traits in me and say these kinds of things.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2021, 3:54 pm

I should add that I don't want this thread to turn into a debate about whether autistic people are generally violent or not, or turn into drama about the legitimacy of some people being compared to serial killers/school shooters or how "stigmatizing" even mentioning the fact it happens is. I want to hear about actual personal experiences and the reasons people think they were compared to that, and any debate or drama that gets started I am going to ask the mods to remove as it's off topic.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2021, 7:39 pm

Sorry, I didn't mean anything against you, just autism and murderers is a real sore subject with me and I hate the way people think they can invalidate an autistic person's feelings by calling them a serial killer and falsely suspecting them as one. (Don't these NTs have any empathy?)

If my high school had threats or shootings I know I would have been the last one in the school to pin it on. I was thought of as "stupid". I think the people they would have pinned it on was the angriest, troubled kids in the school.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2021, 7:43 pm

Joe90 wrote:
I think the people they would have pinned it on was the angriest, troubled kids in the school.

Sometimes kids like that have autism too. :nerdy:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

old_comedywriter
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2021, 7:44 pm

Yes. Chat rooms are always full of trolls.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2021, 7:45 pm

Never.

Not even online.

The culture where I came from doesn't have the same fascination around serial killers and sociopathy.
The term "school shooter" virtually does not exists, nor have the same stigmatization around "lonely people".

If someone had, I'd take it as a joke than a serious accusation.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2021, 7:58 pm

Never.

But I grew up, and was out of school long before Columbine.

So its not impossible that if I had been born in the post Columbine era someone in school might have compared me to a school shooter.

Or not. Hard to say. I think that all just thought of me as a harmless ret*d.

FleaOfTheChill
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2021, 8:50 pm

I put not sure because while no one ever flat out compared me to a mass murderer, I did have (probably more than) a few people at school call me the angel of death when I was a teen. So in a way, yes? In a way, no? I dunno.

Anyway... I think in part it was my appearance; I dressed odd, had weird colored hair, and piercings and I'm old enough that this was uncommon back then, so I very much stood out. But it also likely had to do with my general demeanor. I was kind of a 'bad kid', and did some stuff that got people's attention and my lack of care about it only fueled the idea that I had issues. I don't know if those people actually thought I could or would kill someone, but I definitely gave them the creeps and some gossip fuel to boot.

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2021, 9:42 pm

I'm the expressive, outgoing type of ASD, so no. Although I have to watch that I don't inadvertently stalk someone. (I probably do less of that than NTs b/c of my concern.) That said, my daughter is the unexpressive, withdrawn "scary" ASD type. She responds to others emotions (overwhelming affective empathy?), but not "appropriately" (lacking cognitive empathy?), so we're doing lots of work there so she won't end up responding "yes" to a poll like this in 10 years. Or the world can change too.

Technic1
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Aug 2021, 5:30 am

Yes but I don’t know why…isn’t that the whole reason I am.
Schizophrenia
Meltdowns
No sex
Raped
Murdered
People trying to kill me
Heartbreak
NLP
Psychology
Every thought is killing me

Can’t do this made to do that (kill)

Everything I didn’t want

Did it even happen.

Is it nukes away?

Makes us experimented on and hitlers

God and Satan win

It’s win/win

Everyone is happy?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2021, 5:40 am

It is not a brag, it was very hurtful and depressing to me...

That said top this: during an actual active shooter situation where we were on a lockdown a girl told me 'I'm surprised you aren't the shooter' she apologized days later, but like uhh even though I forgive her like that was really mean.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2021, 7:45 am

I doubt very much that many autistic people have been compared to a murderer.

People just don't think of autistic people that way.

Does Rain Man seem like a murderer to you?

Rain Man is, even these days, a pretty good characterization of a stereotypical autistic person.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2021, 9:39 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I doubt very much that many autistic people have been compared to a murderer.

People just don't think of autistic people that way.

Does Rain Man seem like a murderer to you?

Rain Man is, even these days, a pretty good characterization of a stereotypical autistic person.

I think it's more common if you're born after Columbine, like naturalplastic said, and that it's more common to be compared to a mass shooter than anything else. I don't expect older autistic people to have this experience, but I know people my age live in a time where calling someone who is "odd" and who seems like a "loner" a potential mass shooter is a common joke, and autistic people seem to be the perfect target for things like that. I'm not the only kid I met in my time in school who had rumors like that start about them.