Page 2 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2021, 7:33 am

AprilR wrote:
I am feeling exactly the same thing. I want to join an autism organization or volunteer in some way but being in the closet so to speak is preventing me from doing so. Also there being too much ignorance and pain in regards to autism and disabilities where i live.

Comedy is often the best way to introduce new attitudes and ideas.

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2021, 7:35 am

Dear_one wrote:
AprilR wrote:
I am feeling exactly the same thing. I want to join an autism organization or volunteer in some way but being in the closet so to speak is preventing me from doing so. Also there being too much ignorance and pain in regards to autism and disabilities where i live.

Comedy is often the best way to introduce new attitudes and ideas.

Like self deprecating or dark humor? It is not something i really enjoy, although i agree it makes people accept things easier.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2021, 7:39 am

It doesn't have to be "self-deprecating" or "dark" humor for it to be effective.

I don't really like "dark" humor at all.

As for "self-deprecating," it depends on context.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2021, 7:40 am

AprilR wrote:
Like self deprecating or dark humor? It is not something i really enjoy, although i agree it makes people accept things easier.

Every comedian has their own style that works. Stephen Wright just stands around and is near monotone. George Carlin was all over the stage and the vocal range. I have had good results with self-parody.

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2021, 9:51 am

Dear_one wrote:
AprilR wrote:

Every comedian has their own style that works. Stephen Wright just stands around and is near monotone. George Carlin was all over the stage and the vocal range. I have had good results with self-parody.

It's good if it works for you and helps connect with others around you. The reason i don't like self deprecation is bc it seriously affected my self esteem and made me hate myself even more. But that's just my character.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2021, 9:59 am

Not dark. Funny!

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2021, 11:34 am

Try the Disability Rights organization in your state. They generally use volunteers.

christinejarvis21
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Aug 2021, 11:57 am

Well I do have my Bachelor's Degree in Social Science with a specialization in child development and sociology. But maybe psychology might be more in the correct area I need.

christinejarvis21
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Aug 2021, 11:58 am

I would like to have it more as a career where I can actually get paid too.

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2021, 12:03 pm

christinejarvis21 wrote:
Lately,
I've been feeling that there's something within me that I'm meant to do and I have a purpose. And it honestly feels like my purpose is to do something in regards to autism whether it's advocating, research, etc. I just have this feeling with in me that there's a purpose to my life and I'm meant to do something more than I am right now. Have any of you ever felt like this before?

My purpose of life is to be theoretical physicist and invent new theories. I felt that way since I was 9.

Thats why I don't understand people who don't seem to have a purpose in life. Don't they get tired of waking up every day having breakfast, lunch, dinner, go to bed, only to wake up again and repeat the same thing over and over.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2021, 12:07 pm

christinejarvis21 wrote:
I would like to have it more as a career where I can actually get paid too.

It won't be easy to find a place where you can display any talent. Usually, the person in charge has political skills and uses them to hide the fact that they can't actually do the work, and will sabotage anyone who can do it better.

Something Profound
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Aug 2021, 5:28 pm

AprilR wrote:

You do not *have* to disclose your diagnosis to anyone. Not to your employer, nor your family, nor your friends. When applying for volunteer work or employment, it is not required to tell anyone you are Autistic, unless you think it is OK to do so.

There are some drawbacks to not disclosing, which is that if it is later found out that you ARE Autistic, and it has an obvious impact on your work performance, it can lead to negative consequences. It is not *supposed* to, and discrimination is illegal, but very hard to prove. Most of the time it is a waste of time anyway.

If you are not comfortable doing it locally, you can look into online places to get involved in. Some layer on anonymity can come from getting involved with an organization online.

christinejarvis21
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Aug 2021, 5:30 pm

Or some type of advocacy job whether it's a social worker, or some type of work at a non-profit