Best thing of the Olympics was that Norway team.

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2021, 2:44 am

The ones who didn't want to wear the bikinis, because well quite frankly kind of sexist to force them to wear bikinis while males get to wear shorts that keeps sand out of their balls, perhaps women would like to keep sand out of their vaginas as well.

I guess I just can't see any reason outside of sexism for such rules about a uniform.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2021, 3:38 am

Is the Olympics still going on?

The news of the disaster in Afghanistan, and that of the disaster in Haiti, and that of the disasterous Delta Virus in Louisiana, has upstaged coverage of the Olympics to such an extent that you never hear about the Olympics at all.

Just now googled it. Yeah there is still a whole schedule of Olympic events to come. 8O

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2021, 8:10 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
The ones who didn't want to wear the bikinis, because well quite frankly kind of sexist to force them to wear bikinis while males get to wear shorts that keeps sand out of their balls, perhaps women would like to keep sand out of their vaginas as well.

I guess I just can't see any reason outside of sexism for such rules about a uniform.

It’s also easier for a bikini bottom to fall off or move around.Shorts are obviously the sensible choice.It’s stupid to say bikinis are an athletic uniform.The swimmers don’t have to wear them.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2021, 8:25 am

If you want the Olympics, you'll have to wait until 2024.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2021, 8:26 am

Yup, as far as I know the bikini rule only exists due to sexism. If it didn't, there would've been big headlines on why women have to wear them by now.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2021, 8:30 am

Male swimmers wear those Speedos bathing briefs....which happen to be very appealing to women or to gay men--but it's not "sexism" because these provide optimal conditions for these men to swim fastest.

It should be noted that women swimmers don't wear bikinis----they wear one-piece bathing suits.

I can't see why women can't wear one-piece bathing suits for volleyball.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2021, 8:15 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Male swimmers wear those Speedos bathing briefs....which happen to be very appealing to women or to gay men--but it's not "sexism" because these provide optimal conditions for these men to swim fastest.

It should be noted that women swimmers don't wear bikinis----they wear one-piece bathing suits.

I can't see why women can't wear one-piece bathing suits for volleyball.

I can't see why they should wear bathing suits at all. Since men get to wear shorts and shirts, women should have the same right. Forcing the men wear the same things as women would work too when it comes to gender equality.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2021, 8:22 am

Like I said, men wear very revealing bathing briefs for swimming. Women wear less-revealing one-piece bathing suits for swimming.

I wouldn’t care, really, if women wore shorts and t-shirts for volleyball. What’s important is volleyball proficiency, no matter what’s worn.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2021, 10:55 am

Is it true that shaving your chest and back (if male) helps you swim faster?

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2021, 12:09 pm

That’s what they say….

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2021, 12:32 pm

I used to shave my legs during my cycling years, but it wasn't really about aerodynamics, rather it just made it easier to clean and dress the road rash when you crash and go sliding on the pavement.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2021, 1:20 pm

Why do women run around half naked? ^^ 8O

Also the German women's gymnastics team insisted on full-length bodysuits in Tokyo.

Other countries expressed frustration at being body-shamed or ogled in their tiny uniforms but they decided to stick with routine. Simone Biles in particular said she was much more comfortable, and less self-conscious in a full-length team uniform but America voted against it.

German gymnast ^

I can only imagine what it's like for women with their period in those skimpy things -- between volleyball, running, and gymnastics. That's something men don't even have to factor in.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2021, 8:16 pm

Men used to wear pretty skimpy shorts playing basketball in the old days.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2021, 3:44 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Men used to wear pretty skimpy shorts playing basketball in the old days.

"Used to" means they don't anymore, right? So it isn't really comparable.

Random fact: back in the times when the Olympics were invented, everyone (all men) competed naked.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2021, 4:41 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Why do women run around half naked? ^^ 8O

One of our Australian swimmers, Maddie Groves, pulled out of training because she couldn't take the ogling and comments about her appearance in swim wear

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/australian ... 5802t.html

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2021, 5:41 am

Yep. They competed naked.

You’re taking a feminist-oriented individual to task. Imagine if I were really a misogynist? :P