What do you miss about the 1990's

Page 8 of 11 [ 167 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

King0fSpades
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2021, 6:06 pm

Axeman wrote:
King0fSpades wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Axeman wrote:
...and the majority aren't the fanatics you describe.

But they're plenty happy to enable those fanatics if it might own the libs. :roll:

And they not only attacked the Capitol Building but they now deny it ever truly happened.

But who cares anymore about hearing that broken record, right? (That was Sarcasm) :roll:

During the election I saw Republicans for Biden campaign signs because the nation is more important than the party. There are Republicans who saw Trump for what he was.

I'm aware that not all conservatives support Trumpism and the ones who are brave enough to speak out against the corruption of the GOP have my deepest sympathies.

But face it, they are even more powerless at stopping the violent conspiracies than the Democrats are.

All I mean to say is that I truly believe this seems to be a pretty hopeless situation our country is in. :|

♤ The Military

King0fSpades
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2021, 6:08 pm

MaxE wrote:
Axeman wrote:
King0fSpades wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Axeman wrote:

But they're plenty happy to enable those fanatics if it might own the libs. :roll:

And they not only attacked the Capitol Building but they now deny it ever truly happened.

But who cares anymore about hearing that broken record, right? (That was Sarcasm) :roll:

During the election I saw Republicans for Biden campaign signs because the nation is more important than the party. There are Republicans who saw Trump for what he was.

This thread was supposed to be about the 1990s. Could we please get back on topic?

Well basically the reason some people are saying they miss the 90's is because it was before all this s**t was rolling downhill in the New Millennium.

♤ The Military

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2021, 6:27 pm

MaxE wrote:
Axeman wrote:
King0fSpades wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Axeman wrote:

This thread was supposed to be about the 1990s. Could we please get back on topic?

We are. Trump is a solid reason to miss the 90s.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2021, 6:42 pm

Axeman wrote:
MaxE wrote:
Axeman wrote:
King0fSpades wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Axeman wrote:

Well...yeah...back then Trump was just a tycoon and a socialite. Rona Barrett would refer to him as "the Donald". No one dreamed that he would ever, nor should ever, be the POTUS. Folks would defend Leona Helmsly by saying "she is just the female Trump". He was just another face on the cover of People magazine, and not the divisive force splitting America that he is now. It would be nice to go back to that.

King0fSpades
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2021, 6:49 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Axeman wrote:
MaxE wrote:
Axeman wrote:
King0fSpades wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Axeman wrote:

Well...yeah...back then Trump was just a tycoon and a socialite. Rona Barrett would refer to him as "the Donald". No one dreamed that he would ever, nor should ever, be the POTUS. Folks would defend Leona Helmsly by saying "she is just the female Trump". He was just another face on the cover of People magazine, and not the divisive force splitting America that he is now. It would be nice to go back to that.

I agree. Like I remember when he was occassionally poked fun of on The Golden Girls (and not in a deservingly viscous way like now) like when Dorotjy spoke to Merv Griffin and told him "You are the most intelligent, most charming, most beloved man in America! You are the anti-Trump!"

*sigh* those were the days for sure before of this craziness called 'Trumpism' happened. :(

And it's not JUST Trump that makes me miss America in the 1990's...

♤ The Military

Jib
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Sep 2021, 8:26 pm

MaxE wrote:
I could identify a few negative things about the 90s, at least from an American perspective.

1.) For many Americans the 90s were a time of incredible shame and despair because they believed the Clintons were the absolute embodiment of Evil, dragging America down to the pit of Hell. It was especially bad for them when Bill Clinton was unexpectedly re-elected. The election of George W Bush in 2000, accomplished by the Supreme Court after the regular election system failed, was like the dawning of a new day for them.
2.) Some Americans had dedicated their lives to fighting the Cold War and believed their lives had lost any real purpose. Many of these did in fact lose their jobs.
3.) An alliance led by the US invaded Kuwait for the sole purpose of securing the West's supply of climate-altering petroleum. It's naïve to imagine they cared whatsoever for the rights of ordinary people living in Kuwait (which hadn't existed anyway). As a result, US military personnel were allowed to set up bases in Saudi Arabia which was the single biggest motivating factor for the 9/11 attack a decade later, and everything that followed.
4.) Although the US had always been divided politically, the division became toxic in the 90s, beginning with the Ruby Ridge and Waco incidents. Then there was the Oklahoma City bombing which was largely covered by the media as an admittedly horrific crime but not as an act of terrorism, perhaps out of fear of antagonizing those unable to condemn the acts of the perpetrators insofar as Ruby Ridge and Waco were the "real atrocities".
5.) For those of us disinclined to religion, the 90s were a REALLY religious time. This became inescapable after the Columbine shootings when the media covered a seemly endless series of Christian observances connected to the incident. Obviously if you're religious you won't see this as a problem, but people today, especially young people, aren't nearly so religious on average as they were then. And also, the Columbine shootings.

BTW dealing with dial-up modems and 16-bit Windows was aggravating. The MacIntosh was better in some ways but overpriced and nothing near what it was cracked up to be by the Apple Fanbois in the popular media. I don't see how anybody can be nostalgic about that stuff.

I'm not saying there weren't a lot of cool things about the 90s but a little perspective can't hurt.

True, there were a few tragedies and other negative things about the 90s, such as the genocide in Bosnia and Rwanda, the Heaven's Gate Massacre, and the deaths of Tupac, Biggie Smalls, and Selena.

But DESPITE all the hardships that occurred, seemingly no one denounced the 90s. No one called the 90s a horrible decade. I can't recall anyone who said: "ninety-so-and-so sucked!" People didn't talk like that back then about the years. People had higher standards for what made a bad year back then.

Then post-2000, attitudes changed. At every NYE, people started saying, "last year sucked, but I hope this new year will be better." I can't understand why so few people have seen through this cycle.

I don't even bother celebrating NYE anymore because of the cynicism and lack of real positive change. That point alone is enough to make one miss the 90s. Back when NYE was still worth celebrating.

Quote:
Well another thing I can think of that was terrible about the 1990's was the homophobia in American culture. That was the days of the "Don't ask don't tell" laws where a homosexual or transgender person could potentially lose their jobs in the military or police force if they openly admitted to being gay, we were just getting through the AIDS scare that was brought about from the 80's where people still blamed the gay population for spreading this deadly STD and it became something of a joke to mock those who died from it, and unlike the youth of today who are much more jaded about homosexuality back then every kid I knew would bully you if they even thought you were gay. Saying things like "Man that's so gay!" Was what the 'cool' kids said, but nowadays I think most kids are actually much more supportive of their LGBTQ peers.

That is one thing I don't miss about the 90s! Like with interracial dating, I am grateful that same-sex dating is more acceptable now as well. Heterosexism/Cissexism disgusts me, and I'm glad that DOMA and DADT both got repealed!

Though bisexual males still face some discrimination and unfair scrutiny from all sides, thankfully such oppressions are fading.

MaxE wrote:
I could identify a few negative things about the 90s, at least from an American perspective.

1.) For many Americans the 90s were a time of incredible shame and despair because they believed the Clintons were the absolute embodiment of Evil, dragging America down to the pit of Hell. It was especially bad for them when Bill Clinton was unexpectedly re-elected. The election of George W Bush in 2000, accomplished by the Supreme Court after the regular election system failed, was like the dawning of a new day for them.
2.) Some Americans had dedicated their lives to fighting the Cold War and believed their lives had lost any real purpose. Many of these did in fact lose their jobs.
3.) An alliance led by the US invaded Kuwait for the sole purpose of securing the West's supply of climate-altering petroleum. It's naïve to imagine they cared whatsoever for the rights of ordinary people living in Kuwait (which hadn't existed anyway). As a result, US military personnel were allowed to set up bases in Saudi Arabia which was the single biggest motivating factor for the 9/11 attack a decade later, and everything that followed.
4.) Although the US had always been divided politically, the division became toxic in the 90s, beginning with the Ruby Ridge and Waco incidents. Then there was the Oklahoma City bombing which was largely covered by the media as an admittedly horrific crime but not as an act of terrorism, perhaps out of fear of antagonizing those unable to condemn the acts of the perpetrators insofar as Ruby Ridge and Waco were the "real atrocities".
5.) For those of us disinclined to religion, the 90s were a REALLY religious time. This became inescapable after the Columbine shootings when the media covered a seemly endless series of Christian observances connected to the incident. Obviously if you're religious you won't see this as a problem, but people today, especially young people, aren't nearly so religious on average as they were then. And also, the Columbine shootings.

BTW dealing with dial-up modems and 16-bit Windows was aggravating. The MacIntosh was better in some ways but overpriced and nothing near what it was cracked up to be by the Apple Fanbois in the popular media. I don't see how anybody can be nostalgic about that stuff.

I'm not saying there weren't a lot of cool things about the 90s but a little perspective can't hurt.

UncannyDanny wrote:
That the 9/11 incident NEVER existed.....

....yet. :(

I know what you mean. That is something I miss all too well.

I know this may sound disrespectful, which is not my intent, but I wish I could pretend that day never happened. Pretend that it was only a bad dream that befell the whole population. That there was no WTC and that we dreamed it all up.
 Alas, no one can deny 9/11 (though it baffles me that some people deny the Holocaust, which DID happen). 9/11 was not only one of the most horrific events in history, but it was also the most in-your-face event ever to occur.

The fact that 9/11 is such a haunting and heartwrenching memory is another reason why I long for the 90s. Because we still had that pre-9/11 innocence and jubilance, which madmen took away from us. :(

MaxE wrote:
Axeman wrote:
King0fSpades wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Axeman wrote:

This, please!

Jib's Medium

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2021, 9:11 pm

SabbraCadabra wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Last night? the series finished ages ago.

"Missed out" being past tense. The quote was from when season 1 first "aired".

I don't think the series is finished though, I'm sure there's going to be a season 3.

Yep, I think 2022

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2021, 9:13 pm

Axeman wrote:
MaxE wrote:
Axeman wrote:
King0fSpades wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Axeman wrote:

Anyone remember Trump appearing in a Bobby Brown rap video in the early 1990s :lol:

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2021, 5:24 am

Jib wrote:
I can't recall anyone who said: "ninety-so-and-so sucked!" People didn't talk like that back then about the years. People had higher standards for what made a bad year back then.

The cable channel VH-1 used to have a show called Behind the Music. It was mostly focused on bands, but occasionally, they'd do an episode on a year in music. What was interesting was that in 1999, before the year ended, they did an episode about 1999. They mentioned Columbine/Marilyn Manson, but also talked a lot about the disastrous Woodstock festival that year. Some guy they interviewed said something like, "I think this is the first year that isn't a real year..." whatever that was supposed to mean. Remember, 1999 wasn't even over yet when this episode aired.

I remembered thinking, "Well, once the clock strikes midnight on Y2K, 1999 will be remembered as the last 19xx year."

Point is, even in the '90s, be it the very end, there were indeed people who played the this year sucked and wasn't even a real year game. You may not recall, but it did happen.

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2021, 5:32 am

I want to ask older members...particularly Americans born in the 1960s or earlier...

In my observation, there was a trend that may have occurred before the 1990s, but didn't take full-effect until the '90s or later. That is, in the past, at least in the USA, it was common for an abbreviation to use periods (full-stops) between the letters. For instance: United States of America would be U.S.A. New Jersey would be N.J. The Federal Communications Commission would be F.C.C.

Nowadays, dropping of periods is common: USA, NJ, FCC, etc. This trend may very well have started prior to the 1990s, but in the earlier '90s, it was still commonplace for teachers to instruct students to put periods (full-stops) between the letters of abbreviated terms. Or so I remember. I don't know exactly when this fell out of favor. Again, I think the trend started well before the 1990s, but didn't become solidified until the 1990s. Perhaps the advent of computers spurred it on further....or perhaps I'm off-base.

Anyone have any thoughts, particularly older members? Growing up, I remember being taught to use periods between initialized letters, though I think a shift was happening pre-90s.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2021, 8:11 am

ezbzbfcg2 wrote:
I want to ask older members...particularly Americans born in the 1960s or earlier...

In my observation, there was a trend that may have occurred before the 1990s, but didn't take full-effect until the '90s or later. That is, in the past, at least in the USA, it was common for an abbreviation to use periods (full-stops) between the letters. For instance: United States of America would be U.S.A. New Jersey would be N.J. The Federal Communications Commission would be F.C.C.

Nowadays, dropping of periods is common: USA, NJ, FCC, etc. This trend may very well have started prior to the 1990s, but in the earlier '90s, it was still commonplace for teachers to instruct students to put periods (full-stops) between the letters of abbreviated terms. Or so I remember. I don't know exactly when this fell out of favor. Again, I think the trend started well before the 1990s, but didn't become solidified until the 1990s. Perhaps the advent of computers spurred it on further....or perhaps I'm off-base.

Anyone have any thoughts, particularly older members? Growing up, I remember being taught to use periods between initialized letters, though I think a shift was happening pre-90s.

Interesting observation. Computers/the Net/texting definitely spurred it on. And the Net didnt become democratized until the mid Nineties.

But there were some acronymns that already had their periods dropped if I remember right. Like "NASA". When the thing was pronounced like a word they tended to drop the periods even in published writing.

And there are some differences across the Atlantic- about which acronymns become new words, and which are still prounced by saying the component letters. Even now in the U.S. most folks call "UFOs" "you eff ohhhss", and they call the "Royal Airforce" the "Are Ay eff". But Ive learned from British TV that Brits tend to call UFOs "YOU foes", and call the "RAF" "the raff " (the latter like in "riff raff").

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2021, 9:34 am

ezbzbfcg2 wrote:

In general we used the full word not an abbreviation or shortened words. “You only live once” , not “YOLO”, “ret*d” not “ret*d”

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2021, 12:10 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
ezbzbfcg2 wrote:

In general we used the full word not an abbreviation or shortened words. “You only live once” , not “YOLO”, “ret*d” not “ret*d”

I'm old but I have a hard time remembering a transition. I am certain that initials were used for corporate identities for example CBS and RCA and in that case periods weren't ever used. There is also the situation with military acronyms. A true acronym is not an abbreviation, it's actually composed of the first syllables of the represented words e.g. COMSEC (Communications Security) or SECDEF (Secretary of Defense). Militarization of our society might well have had an effect. Also the introduction of standard 2-letter abbreviations for States and Territories.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2021, 12:14 pm

Expositions (World's Fairs). The last major one I can remember was the one in Barcelona in 1992. There may have been one later that failed. Here's the theme song from the only one I ever experienced in person:

Jib
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Sep 2021, 6:40 pm

ezbzbfcg2 wrote:
Jib wrote:
I can't recall anyone who said: "ninety-so-and-so sucked!" People didn't talk like that back then about the years. People had higher standards for what made a bad year back then.

The cable channel VH-1 used to have a show called Behind the Music. It was mostly focused on bands, but occasionally, they'd do an episode on a year in music. What was interesting was that in 1999, before the year ended, they did an episode about 1999. They mentioned Columbine/Marilyn Manson, but also talked a lot about the disastrous Woodstock festival that year. Some guy they interviewed said something like, "I think this is the first year that isn't a real year..." whatever that was supposed to mean. Remember, 1999 wasn't even over yet when this episode aired.

I remembered thinking, "Well, once the clock strikes midnight on Y2K, 1999 will be remembered as the last 19xx year."

Point is, even in the '90s, be it the very end, there were indeed people who played the this year sucked and wasn't even a real year game. You may not recall, but it did happen.

Well, of course, there's always going to be that one exceptional cynic. But back then, they were in the minority. And I guarantee you that 1999 is remembered a lot more fondly than either 2009 or 2019 combined.

Now that cynical attitude is much more common nowadays. It only takes two or three things to go wrong before x year is labeled the "worst year ever."

That is why I take a Zen approach and view years objectively. A year is just a year. There are no good years or bad years except in the mind of the beholder.

Because many good things happened to me in 1999, I considered that to be the best year ever. Plus, it's the best anti-thesis I can come up with to rival 2020, which many labeled the worst year ever.

What is your take on the best year ever? What would be your pick?

Jib's Medium

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2021, 10:41 pm

I don't miss anything about the 1990s.

The 1970s were great though, and the 80s were okay on the whole.