Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2021, 2:41 pm

Are there any famous (or even less famous) songs that mention your name? :) In what context and do you like it? :) I'm just listening to the disco polo music album (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disco_polo) which I once won in an online contest some time ago and there is a song that has various forms of my name - Magdalena - in the title. The song is named "Madziu, Magdo, Magdaleno" (the name's shortened forms in a vocative) and is about a woman of this name who sleeps with men for vodka but who doesn't want to do it with some guy without a condom so he punches her and tells everybody he had sex with her, although he didn't :lol: This music band is well known for its very vulgar songs :D

I also remember that once my grandma heard a song that contained my distant cousin's name - Agata - I was a little girl back then, the same as said cousin - and she liked it so much that she instantly bought this music album for me. The album containted in turn songs with a VERY frivolous contest - the "Agata" one was actually one of the most innocent songs of this album :D But my grandma was a very simple minded lady who didn't understand such things :D (well, the same as myself at that time but I was like eight back them). This song was about girls who were very picky when it comes to men and the song warned them that when they were older and unattractive, no man was going to look at them any more :lol:

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2021, 4:16 pm

In the English speaking US most pop songs that have first names in the title/lyrics - the name is a girl's name. Its rare for a boy's name to be used...even in a song with a female vocalist.

In the early Sixties there was a phase when girl singers would sing songs with the name "Bill".

Dont mess with Bill, When Will you marry me Bill?, I met him on a Sunday, and his name was Bill..a do ron ron a do ron ron....

The only song with my name is the R.E.M. song "Man in the Moon" about Andy Kaufman - who has the same first name as me.

Last edited by naturalplastic on 20 Aug 2021, 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2021, 4:33 pm

Lol, I seriously NEVER heard about this Bill song fashion :D You just added another piece of knowledge to my mental knowledge store :D In case of Polish songs, I noticed the same when it comes to the all girls' names in songs' titles/lyrics thing.

Ah, and I just recalled another Polish song with my name - "Co się stało z Magdą K." - "What has happened to Magda K." https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVCSu4sRrsk It's about a young girl who was the victim of a gang rape and everybody in her hometown blamed her for "wasting the boys' lives" when she testified in the court about this.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2021, 4:47 pm

Your country has a song about gang rape????? 8O

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2021, 2:29 am

Yes, I think every country has similar songs. But this song about Magda K. has no drastic descriptions of said rape. The song I described in my first post is MUCH more drastic and vulgar. Here is the translation of the Magda K. song - quite a broken language but as you see, nothing drastic: https://muzikum.eu/en/perfect/co-sie-st ... ranslation

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2021, 3:28 am

I cant get the translation here in my country. Just can hear the Polish language singer. But apparently its a song sung in protest against the community ...that took the side of the rapists against the victim. Which makes sense as a thing to sing about.

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2021, 3:42 am

That's true, it indeed can be interpreted as a protest song - because in my country a popular sort of approach when it comes to rapes is: why was your skirt so short? It could provoke the rapist. You can hear it even from the police officers. :? And even then, when you get pregnant, you have very serious problems with terminating the pregnancy being the product of rape.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2021, 6:10 am

Your name is "Magdalena"?

Not a common name to crop up in American pop music.

BUT there is ONE American song that I know of with that name as it's title.

And guess what. The storyline involves sexual assault. Weird coincidence isnt it?

Its an outrageous song performed by the notoriously outrageous rock musician Frank Zappa.

The narrator is rooting for the victim to defend herself.

But still...

Recorded in the early Seventies this song was offensive then, and .. is at least twice as offensive today because of PC.

It is also ...funny as hell! And has great musicianship. :D

So...here it is... a cautionary tale on...what working in the maple syrup industry can "do to a man" . Here is..."Magdalena" performed live by Frank Zappa and his band.

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2021, 7:52 am

Thanks, I must listen to it :) In Poland, my name is very common. So common, actually, that I just found another song with my name in the title - it's another disco polo one. It's "Magda" from 2006 but this time it's a nice song about a man who describes the woman is a very positive light :D

Outlaw0807
Butterfly
Butterfly

22 Aug 2021, 9:24 am

The song "Vincent" by Don McLean. It was written about Vincent Van Gogh, but I still feel like it relates to me. Especially the line "But I could've told you, Vincent/This world was never made for one as beautiful as you." It does make me a little sad, but I don't mind it.

Redpaws
Toucan
Toucan

23 Aug 2021, 3:26 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
If you're American, so does yours. "Dance with the devil" by Immortal Technique.

No terror, no war. No sympathy for terrorists or their supporters and sympathizers

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2021, 4:16 pm

Redpaws wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
If you're American, so does yours. "Dance with the devil" by Immortal Technique.

Thats a really obscure song that I am pretty sure that most Americans have never heard of. by a band that most Americans have never heard of.

But actually there is a well known American pop hit that has gang rape in the story. Thats "Coward of the County", by Kenny Rodgers.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2021, 5:10 pm

Danusaurus
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2021, 7:13 pm

That oh Dani boy one..

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2021, 2:03 am

lol

There's a few songs with my real name in them, but I don't feel comfortable sharing that info... ¬_¬
I think they're okay, but I don't really relate to them on any level...and it's kind of annoying when people sing them to me.

naturalplastic wrote:
Dont mess with Bill, When Will you marry me Bill?, I met him on a Sunday, and his name was Bill..a do ron ron a do ron ron....

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2021, 5:43 pm

Danusaurus wrote:
That oh Dani boy one..

"the Londonderry Aire"

Also known as "Danny Boy"...the pipes are piping.