Anybody experience a gag-reflex at the dentist?

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2021, 5:07 pm

The Gag-Reflex can be apparent when dental X-rays are conducted via a unit they place deep in the mouth.

INFO: The 'Gag-Reflex is also known as 'Phatyngeal-Reflex' - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pharyngeal_reflex

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2021, 11:15 pm

I've had the gag reflex at both the dentist and orthodontist.

At the orthodontist they take molds where they put a metal plate caked in this weird mint goo in your mouth. It goes a bit beyond the back teeth and I remember my first time having the upper one done, I had a very bad gag reflex. I thought I was going to throw up. Thankfully I didn't. As it happened, I had a lot of molds done there and eventually I no longer gagged. I guess I got used to it.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2021, 12:09 am

I had a very sensitive gag reflex as a child, so dentists used to get frustrated because I'd involuntarily gag and move the thing in my mouth, multiple times, every time I had to get x-rays done. I still actually get the urge to gag, but now I can "hold it" for the 10 or so seconds until they get an x-ray done.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2021, 12:57 pm

I've also had the gag reflex hit at the Orthodontist when they made the molds of my teeth. That was probably around 1970. I so hope they don't still use the same technique to make molds.

Last year I had surgery, I was intubated but began waking up while the tube was still down my throat. :shaking: This naturally caused involuntary gagging. I hated it. Before that, apparently even when I was unconscious I did not like that tube...my bride got to sit by my side for some time while I was still unconscious under the anesthesia...she said that even though I was unconscious several times I started moving a hand toward the air tube. (It seems I am a very well-trained husband, though. My bride tells me that when the unconscious-me started moving his hand toward the tube she would tell me to put my hand down and I did!)

I began seeing a new dentist this year and forewarned them that I have a strong gag reflex. They are confused. So far they have not hit my gag reflex but they don't let me swallow often enough. Having too much saliva and water in the back of my throat causes me to occasionally disrupt their process when I cannot go any longer without swallowing. They have been blaming this on my gag reflex...I don't know how to explain to them that it is not my gag reflex, it is my desire not to drown!

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2021, 1:06 pm

When I went to the orthodontist and they took a mold of my teeth I gagged heavily each time. I'm surprised I didn't vomit. lol

They used a little plastic/silicone tray with this purple goop on it, and it definitely went past my back teeth. :eew: I'm not sure how anyone's supposed to not gag, but the lady who did it last time said it made her gag also, so I'm going to assume that's normal.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2021, 1:12 pm

Not me. And been in dentists for a few times.

While I'm sensitive, I also know how to suppress and stop gag reflex.

The relaxation is the key.
Or, well, "trust" that whatever's going in -- it will get out. Or that would be coughed out soon or go to the stomach instead.

Or if it involves making teeth molds, experience tells me -- a secured sense of breathing, and trust that nothing is going to be broken down and gets swallowed.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2021, 2:55 pm

Is it possible that gag-reflexes are stem from sensitivities related to the Autism Spectrum?

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2021, 10:54 pm

^Not sure if it's related to autism. I asked the orthodontic nurse who did my molds if my gagging was a typical reaction. She said yes and a fair few kids actually threw up when having their molds done.

Ew. I'd hate to have that job.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2021, 11:27 pm

when i was a kid a clumsy hygienist inserted the xray thingies into my mouth and she was so harsh that i got sick and barfed in her hand. she was very angry with me and said, "you're a BAD BAD BOY! i'm telling your father!" but luckily she was too busy to do that.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2021, 12:12 am

I've experienced crying, screaming, shaking, and general terror, but never a gag reflex.

When I was really young the dentist told my mother they wanted to physically restrain me. My mother hated that they even suggest such a thing when I was already terrified enough as it is.

I'm very worried that I will have to go to the dentist for a root canal. One of my back teeth keeps hurting really bad and I've been to the dentist, who filled a cavity, X-rayed and cleaned my teeth, but it still keeps hurting for some reason. I read that after a root canal the tooth only lasts for ten years so what's the point, anyway?

Weight Of Memory
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Jul 2023, 4:59 pm

I have always had a very strong gag reflex.

I struggle with the bite wing x-rays. I was having a cavity filled earlier this year and the dentist put in a sort of bridge to hold my jaw open. After about five minutes it caused me severe gagging. It was about the size of an ice cube and in just one side of my mouth.

I also can't play any sports that require wearing a mouth guard. They make me immediately start gagging.

I'm not sure how much of it is heightened sensitivity from ASD and how much is caused by having enlarged tonsils.