25 Aug 2021, 11:02 pm

The photo is on the link posted by the OP

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2021, 11:08 pm

cyberdad wrote:

Thanks. I haven't read the thread or the OP, but either way it's gotta go.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2021, 11:09 pm

cyberdad wrote:

Just because something is included in a link (which by itself may not breach site rules), doesn't absolve another member of the intentional breach of site rules they commit when intentionally taking the image from that link and inserting it into a post...

Racists can doubtlessly find those types of images in many places - that doesn't mean we need them directly including the images in posts here as well.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2021, 11:33 pm

Brictoria wrote:
Just because something is included in a link (which by itself may not breach site rules), doesn't absolve another member of the intentional breach of site rules they commit when intentionally taking the image from that link and inserting it into a post...

I am most intrigued what breach of site rules has been committed? republishing an image from an international news site? This is the news thread after all.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2021, 11:36 pm

cyberdad wrote:

I am most intrigued what breach of site rules has been committed? republishing an image from an international news site? This is the news thread after all.

This one:

alex wrote:
I tried to post some clear guidelines in the improving WP thread but they were just statements buried in parts of that thread so here is a better attempt at some very clear guidelines regarding racism and calling out racism.

1. Posting racist slurs will not be tolerated (Deeply offensive terms like the N word in any context as well as referring to people with racist terms like "thugs," "monkeys," etc)

2. Racist imagery (confederate flags, white nationalist symbols, swastikas, etc,) are not permitted in any context. This includes memes.

3. Calling someone racist is not a personal attack, it is a description. If someone calls you racist, keep in mind that you may very well be doing things that fit their understanding of what racist means. Don't take it as an insult but as a chance to learn and improve yourself. Ask why what you said bothers them and why they believe it is racist. Ask how you can do better in the future. If you disagree with their assessment, you're allowed to say that but keep in mind that opinions differ and you won't be able to change the fact that they view you as racist.

4. It's very possible to be racist without knowing it. We are raised with certain ideals and it's easy to take those for granted without questioning whether or not our beliefs may have racist roots. Try to be mindful of this and don't just immediately become defensive if someone calls you a racist out of the blue. They may know something you don't...

We can't even post a swastika with a line through it. (Anti-Swastika).

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2021, 11:38 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

The image or the link? I'll leave that to the moderators to decide.

Newsmedia and social media often post newsstories on extermist groups and will post imagery of flags.

I am certain Brictoria would never object to an image of an ISIS fighter hoisting an Islamic state flag which also triggers emotions in people.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2021, 11:39 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

This one:

alex wrote:
I tried to post some clear guidelines in the improving WP thread but they were just statements buried in parts of that thread so here is a better attempt at some very clear guidelines regarding racism and calling out racism.

1. Posting racist slurs will not be tolerated (Deeply offensive terms like the N word in any context as well as referring to people with racist terms like "thugs," "monkeys," etc)

2. Racist imagery (confederate flags, white nationalist symbols, swastikas, etc,) are not permitted in any context. This includes memes.

3. Calling someone racist is not a personal attack, it is a description. If someone calls you racist, keep in mind that you may very well be doing things that fit their understanding of what racist means. Don't take it as an insult but as a chance to learn and improve yourself. Ask why what you said bothers them and why they believe it is racist. Ask how you can do better in the future. If you disagree with their assessment, you're allowed to say that but keep in mind that opinions differ and you won't be able to change the fact that they view you as racist.

4. It's very possible to be racist without knowing it. We are raised with certain ideals and it's easy to take those for granted without questioning whether or not our beliefs may have racist roots. Try to be mindful of this and don't just immediately become defensive if someone calls you a racist out of the blue. They may know something you don't...

We can't even post a swastika with a line through it. (Anti-Swastika).

Ok thank you. Again its a matter for the moderators as I was reposting an image that's been circulated across major news outlets

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2021, 12:22 am

Brictoria wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Dox47 wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
I think one of the problems with that publication is it's wide distribution, circulation and popularity with the far right all over the world. I don't want to keep publicising it as I may be unwittingly inspiring younger males reading this post.

It even inspired the capitol riots
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/12/book ... cists.html

A warning of it's danger

Odd, you never had a problem mentioning it over and over before, it's only when asked to prove your thesis that suddenly you have reservations about mentioning it. All to avoid admitting that you were wrong. Sad.

It has become apparent to me that it may have the opposite effect.

Translation: It has become apparent that I cannot substantiate my claim, so am now trying to hide from being required to prove what I cannot?

For some people, I don't even try to validate my claims because they aren't worth the mental energy in doing so.
Some others simply can't validate their argument and hope people don't inquire. 8)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2021, 12:24 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
alex wrote:

Alex Plank, 25 August 2020. ^

Please delete this racist photo.

cyberdad wrote:
Again the selective amnesia is strong in some here but I'll repeat the OPs article again for the second time
Alleged Boise neo-Nazis charged with planning power grid attacks in Idaho, Northwest

There is no Godwin's law or trigger in using the word "Neo-Nazi" as the white supremacists in the article quite clearly make their affiliation crystal clear.

Secondly while Brendon Tarrant or Timothy McVeigh might not have been card carrying members of these groups, they followed a white supremacist manifesto to start a race war that led them to kill multiple innocent civilians.

That manifesto and the Turner diary is not a figment of some left wing imagination. It's a fact. Whether dealing with KKK, Neo)_nazis, Aryan brotherhood, alt-right (or whatever other label they choose to use) that these groups endgoal is race war and waiting for an opportunity to act on civilian targets. To me they are no different to ISIS, Al Qaeda or the Taliban.

The difference is that in Melbourne, my daughter or wife are potential targets of white supremacists. I don't have to worry about islamic terror but I know there are wolves roaming the streets in Melbourne who are expressing a desire to attack civilians of colour and start a race war
https://www.theage.com.au/national/insi ... 58i3x.html

So for me it's not virtue signalling, it's a legit concern that I am entitled to hold.

Good find. :thumright:

Last edited by Pepe on 26 Aug 2021, 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2021, 12:27 am

Brictoria wrote:
Axeman wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Dox47 wrote:
Axeman wrote:
Only reason the atom bomb wasn't used on Germany is because they were crushed a little before it was ready. That's a shame too.

Yikes.

I consider this trollish behaviour, with the intention of trying to outrage me.
That is never going to happen. 8)

I suggest you not give such commentary oxygen. :wink:

What's your fascination with the Fatherland? You have to wonder about that from someone living in a nation that was one of the Allies. I've talked with veterans who said Kraut camp guards received a bullet through the head and were then buried in shallow unmarked graves to be forgotten by the world forever. A fitting fate but a waste of a bullet.

Maybe, do some research before posting what appear to be quite inflammatory posts:
Try starting here: https://wrongplanet.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=387906&p=8542486#p8542486
Or here: https://wrongplanet.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=392782&p=8670153#p8670153

When did you get an upgrade to "Guardian Angel"? :mrgreen:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2021, 12:28 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

I'd be happy with that. 8)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2021, 12:34 am

Brictoria wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Racists can doubtlessly find those types of images in many places - that doesn't mean we need them directly including the images in posts here as well.

Some seem to lack significant reasoning skills, and when confronted with a valid logical argument, refuse to accept it.
Is that a wombat I see, hiding in the bushes? 8O :mrgreen:

Hmmm.
Remind me to delete that sort of imagery if replying, in the future.
Personally, I don't have a problem.
It is simply part of history.
But rulz are rulz. Meh. 8)

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2021, 12:42 am

Pepe wrote:
Brictoria wrote:
Axeman wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Dox47 wrote:
Axeman wrote:
Only reason the atom bomb wasn't used on Germany is because they were crushed a little before it was ready. That's a shame too.

Yikes.

What's your fascination with the Fatherland? You have to wonder about that from someone living in a nation that was one of the Allies. I've talked with veterans who said Kraut camp guards received a bullet through the head and were then buried in shallow unmarked graves to be forgotten by the world forever. A fitting fate but a waste of a bullet.

Maybe, do some research before posting what appear to be quite inflammatory posts:
Try starting here: https://wrongplanet.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=387906&p=8542486#p8542486
Or here: https://wrongplanet.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=392782&p=8670153#p8670153

Just figured I'd try and cut off the unwarranted attacks on the German people (both members here, and in general - either by race, or country of residence), given the direction those posts were headed...

Unfortunately, the reponce I received suggests a high level of animosity towards those people...

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2021, 12:46 am

Brictoria wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Brictoria wrote:
Axeman wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Dox47 wrote:
Axeman wrote:

Yikes.

Just figured I'd try and cut off the unwarranted attacks on the German people (both members here, and in general - either by race, or country of residence), given the direction those posts were headed...

Unfortunately, the reponce I received suggests a high level of animosity towards those people...

To me, it seemed like personal attacks.
Oh, my! 8O :mrgreen:

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2021, 1:02 am

Pepe wrote:
Brictoria wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Some seem to lack significant reasoning skills, and when confronted with a valid logical argument, refuse to accept it.
Is that a wombat I see, hiding in the bushes? 8O :mrgreen:

Hmmm.
Remind me to delete that sort of imagery if replying, in the future.
Personally, I don't have a problem.
It is simply part of history.
But rulz are rulz. Meh. 8)

Doubtless, when offences are found, those who unwittingly transgressed by quoting posts including banned images would merely have the problematic component merely vanish from their post - I seem to recall FXE (from memory) needed to change their avatar just after the site owner posted about what imagery was banned as it showed one of the listed items being burnt (again, from memory).

As an aside, Im trying to decide if the effort being put into keeping an image of a racist symbol in a post is a sign of a belief in "freedom of speach" (despite the past support by the person doing so for the suppression of other people's speach on various other topics\by various other people), or endorsement of the imagery (despite the person putting forward an appearance of being "afraid" of the types of people represented in the image\intersted in the symbol shown).

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2021, 1:05 am

Pepe wrote:
Brictoria wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Brictoria wrote:
Axeman wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Dox47 wrote:
Axeman wrote:

Yikes.

To me, it seemed like personal attacks.
Oh, my! 8O :mrgreen:

New member(?), possibly unaware of other's backgrounds (or, apparently, the possibility that people can emigrate, etc.), so I figured I'd give the benefit of the doubt and try to clear up certain misunderstandings.