Anti-lockdown prostests in Melbourne

Page 3 of 4 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

chaosmos
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Aug 2021, 5:12 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I read that Sydney has even harsher lockdowns than Melbourne at this point.

They definitely do I think at this stage, but the whole state of New South Wales was only put into lockdown recently.
Prior to that, only particular Local Government Areas were locked down. Rules have varied widely across the country, with Melbourne having had the most harsh and punitive measures in place for the longest. We are now the most locked down city in the world…

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2021, 12:04 am

The news about variants gets worse and worse
https://www.news.com.au/world/coronavir ... 076d63c2c6

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2021, 12:05 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I read that Sydney has even harsher lockdowns than Melbourne at this point.

Historically they have been more reluctant until recently.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2021, 3:45 am

cyberdad wrote:
MrsPeel wrote:
It depends where you are. There's no lockdown at all where I am in Queensland.
But yes, they're harsh in NSW I've heard.
The authorities are nervous because recent numbers of new cases have been the highest since the pandemic began - so Aus is on the cusp of a new and larger wave of the disease than seen before. Admittedly this is so far smaller than waves in other countries. But they don't want to take chances with the way this delta variant spreads.

I'm in Victoria, I haven't had a friend visit since 2019

Well, I'm in the Melbourne metropolitan area and have had friends and family visit from time to time through last year and this year - Even managed to head back "home" to visit family in the country late last year.

It's interesting that you haven't managed to have friends over in all that time...

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2021, 3:51 am

Brictoria wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
MrsPeel wrote:
It depends where you are. There's no lockdown at all where I am in Queensland.
But yes, they're harsh in NSW I've heard.
The authorities are nervous because recent numbers of new cases have been the highest since the pandemic began - so Aus is on the cusp of a new and larger wave of the disease than seen before. Admittedly this is so far smaller than waves in other countries. But they don't want to take chances with the way this delta variant spreads.

I'm in Victoria, I haven't had a friend visit since 2019

Well, I'm in the Melbourne metropolitan area and have had friends and family visit from time to time through last year and this year - Even managed to head back "home" to visit family in the country late last year.

It's interesting that you haven't managed to have friends over in all that time...

People I know are scared to visit, even during the non-lockdown periods. My family are in another state and I haven't seen them since Jan 2020.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2021, 3:53 am

cyberdad wrote:

A a second pandemic so soon after this current one will result in riots should the government start all over again with lockdowns.

If "Covid 22" does strike, I for one wouldn't be listening to any lockdown advice.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2021, 4:59 am

Nades wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

A a second pandemic so soon after this current one will result in riots should the government start all over again with lockdowns.

If "Covid 22" does strike, I for one wouldn't be listening to any lockdown advice.

The choice is economic strangulation and stir crazy or Russian roulette....take your pick

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2021, 9:31 am

cyberdad wrote:
Nades wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

The choice is economic strangulation and stir crazy or Russian roulette....take your pick

Definitely Russian roulette for me. Lockdowns always have been a trade-off.

Soliloquist
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2021, 10:53 pm

SpiceWolf wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
I'm not a big fan of lockdowns but we have no choice. This will continue till vaccination rates hit 70-80% of the population. That won't happen till 2022.

No Cyber, I don't think they will end, even if Victoria reaches 80%

They've been going to end, just around the corner, for over a year now.

14 days to flatten the curve.
Just a month until we can get hospitals ready for the influx!! !
Just until we can suppress it in age care.
Just until we can roll out mitigation measures in stores and public transport!! !

Look, we're beating it, we have to continue until we have zero covid, we have an opportunity to
beat this, but we only get one shot at this.

Ok Two shots(lockdown 2.0) (three shots, four shots etc)

Oh look the vaccines are so close, we need more lockdown.
Once we have QR codes, we'll be able to trace better and lockdown can end.
Once the vaccines arrive we can stop lockdown.
Once the age care homes are vaccinated we can stop lockdown.
Once everone over 80 has been vaccinated THEN we can stop lockdown.
Just two more weeks, so we can get everyone over 70 vaccinated.
Everyone over 60!! !
Everyone over 50!! !

Oh hey, an entire state of almost 7 million people has been under 22 to 23 hours a day house arrest for almost two years. Strung along with endless lies and false promises.

But don't worry once 80% of the population is vaccinated, then the government will let you out of lockdown.
They lied the other 20 odd times, but surely not 21 times!! ! ! !

Do you actually sincerely believe them or do you believe parroting the premiers lies is patriotic or something?

SpiceWolf
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2021, 11:15 am

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-n ... exceeds-70

Well that didn't take very long to move the goalposts did it.

Quote:
The federal finance minister, Simon Birmingham, has acknowledged that targeted lockdowns could still happen once 70% to 80% of adults are vaccinated.

SpiceWolf
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2021, 12:15 pm

And don't for one second, think that the vaccine passports will save you.

A vaccine passport is just another name for having to ask the governments permission,
to walk down every individual street,
to enter a shop,
to buy something with your own money,
and probably in the end to take a s**t in your own toilet.

Let me show you something, from CBS news.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/covid-vacc ... accinated/

Quote:
Study: Fully vaccinated people with "breakthrough" COVID Delta infections carry as much virus as the unvaccinated

This is common knowledge overseas.

Right now, the Australian media, the politicians and the delusional people who still think their government gives a s**t if they live or die, are pretending that vaccinated people can't spread the virus.
They need to tell this lie, because otherwise their is no justification, no figleaf, for the passports they want.

But as soon as you give them this power over you.
As soon as they have the vaccine passports and you betray your fellow Australians, these fascists, communists, gestapo, whatever names you want to call them.

Once you've rolled over for them, these politicians will suddenly remember, OH!! ! Vaccinated people are infectious too, and you'll be tossed right back into the pit with those unvaccinated people you imagined yourself superior to.

Except now you'll be one rung lower as you'll be living under a Chinese style social credit system with Australian characteristics.

You're "Freedom" with these passports, will be even less than it was under lockdown.

Is this really the future you want?

chaosmos
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Aug 2021, 5:05 pm

Totally agree ^
What has always interested me during this pandemic is the media reporting people are ‘out in the community whilst sick’. Figured they mustn’t be very sick at all if they’re out and about.

People are blinded by fear and stupidity. The only real reason all these lockdowns persist is because the government is covering their ass and their flailing health care system. My mum is a high up operations manager within the health care system in WA and she said they can’t even find ICU nurses to look after regular sick patients, let alone those that might arrive in ICU with COVID and other co-morbidities. *shrug*

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2021, 6:24 pm

Another 80 today....up from 50, lockdown seems to be having little effect on flattening the curve?

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2021, 7:34 pm

chaosmos wrote:
Totally agree ^
What has always interested me during this pandemic is the media reporting people are ‘out in the community whilst sick’. Figured they mustn’t be very sick at all if they’re out and about.

People are blinded by fear and stupidity. The only real reason all these lockdowns persist is because the government is covering their ass and their flailing health care system. My mum is a high up operations manager within the health care system in WA and she said they can’t even find ICU nurses to look after regular sick patients, let alone those that might arrive in ICU with COVID and other co-morbidities. *shrug*

It would be interesting to know what number of cases we would be seeing if they reported the number hospitalized alongside the "number of cases" in the media - And/or if they weren't pushing people into get tested so regularly and relied on only those symptomatic people, as well as those who had particular reason to believe they needed testing (close contact, for example) to be tested, rather than frightening entire suburbs to be tested regardless of whether those living there believed they required a test or not.

chaosmos
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Aug 2021, 8:36 pm

Brictoria wrote:
chaosmos wrote:
Totally agree ^

It would be interesting to know what number of cases we would be seeing if they reported the number hospitalized alongside the "number of cases" in the media - And/or if they weren't pushing people into get tested so regularly and relied on only those symptomatic people, as well as those who had particular reason to believe they needed testing (close contact, for example) to be tested, rather than frightening entire suburbs to be tested regardless of whether those living there believed they required a test or not.

Yes… it would be interesting.
I’ve also heard that as a virus gets more contagious, the less likely it is to cause serious illness and death in those that are otherwise healthy. Thinking of the common cold or gastro that frequently circulates in the community. I have no research to back this up, just word of mouth from health care professionals and the like…