Column: Larry Elder is the Black face of white supremacy.

Page 22 of 41 [ 647 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 41  Next

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2021, 9:54 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Dox47 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
so any criticism of him is a "racial slur"? how orwellian.

Any criticism of Obama was a racial slur so why the double standard?

Let's not kid ourselves, 99% of the criticism aimed at Obama from republican supporters was to do with his background, I don't recall any erudite placards carried by tea Party nutters proclaiming any worth while rebuttal to policy.

Amen, brother Cyberdad, Amen!

@ DW_a_mom

That went over my autistic head.

My best guess is that he wants mom to comment. 8)

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2021, 10:13 pm

League_Girl wrote:
When my son was about four, we were both on the train and there were these black people and they kept saying the N word and my son blurted "Mom, what's a N***" and they overheard and they said to him "A word you must never say" and they must have saw the horrified look on my face when he said it. I then told my son it's a word that only black people can use and we can't say it because we don't have the right skin color. This was how I could explain a bad word to a 4 year old to explain why they can use it and we can't and to explain why it looked like a double standard to him.

He of course has forgotten about this because he asked few years later why the N word is bad and by then I was able to explain it in more detail. He must have heard it in school when he was learning about black history and the teacher explained you must ever say that word.

Surprisingly there are lot of white people out there that don't understand the severity of the word so they use it as a quotation or descriptive because they are not aware of the history of the word and they only know you can't call a black person that to put them down. Same as how you can't use the word ret*d or ret*d so they see it as bad as that but everyone is fine with it being used as a quotation. Many people treat this word as the R word.

Your 4 year old son is more sensible than some of the people on this forum. Its not really not rocket science is it.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2021, 10:16 pm

Pepe wrote:

Nope, just to see, kinda proves my point about criticism of Obama being treated as racist in all cases.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2021, 10:20 pm

Dox47 wrote:
Pepe wrote:

Nope, just to see, kinda proves my point about criticism of Obama being treated as racist in all cases.

What you said makes no sense to me, sorry. 8)

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2021, 10:24 pm

Pepe wrote:

I pointed out to DW that any criticism of Obama was treated as racist, she doubted me, and right on cue two liberals popped up to claim that criticism of Obama was racist (they left themselves a little wiggle room, but still), thus proving my point.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2021, 10:28 pm

Dox47 wrote:
Pepe wrote:

I pointed out to DW that any criticism of Obama was treated as racist, she doubted me, and right on cue two liberals popped up to claim that criticism of Obama was racist (they left themselves a little wiggle room, but still), thus proving my point.

I haven't been following mom's posts, as I have mentioned.
This now makes dollars and cents. 8)

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2021, 11:45 pm

Dox47 wrote:
Pepe wrote:

If conservatives had taken to task racists targeting Obama, instead of looking the other way, maybe the left wouldn't have gone overboard on all conservative criticism.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2021, 12:29 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Dox47 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

Let's not kid ourselves, 99% of the criticism aimed at Obama from republican supporters was to do with his background, I don't recall any erudite placards carried by tea Party nutters proclaiming any worth while rebuttal to policy.

Amen, brother Cyberdad, Amen!

@ DW_a_mom

That went over my autistic head.

Yeah, he might have wanted it to. Or not. Ties back to this comment, noting that the post is an example:

Dox47 wrote:
Oh, I bet you did actually know people like that, you just didn't notice it because it wasn't aimed in your direction. I call this effect liberal privilege for obvious reasons, it's the same thing that prevents you from realizing that most major media is propaganda, that every institution not explicitly right wing hews to progressive orthodoxy, that you're free to express all of your opinions in public without sanction but I am not, etc. Conservatives do the same thing of course, but they don't have the institutional control that liberals enjoy these days, so their bubbles are correspondingly smaller, and their learned mistrust is more likely to lead them into conspiracy theories and other blind allies.

In response to Dox's comment:

It is worth thinking about. We all have a duty to constantly examine our own biases and assumptions, and challenge ourselves on if we are actually meeting our own social priorities.

I will say that I do believe I notice it, and I have often commented on it, but not necessarily here (I have a tendency to skip over the posts by other liberals; let the rest of you dissect them). Do I always notice it? Impossible to say, for all the reasons described. But I notice more than most of my peers, and at the same level as the sister whose job literally includes noticing such things.

Saying 99% of the criticism of Obama was due his background is clearly an exaggeration to me. I would not have made that claim.

You also discount the fact that I cannot express my opinions everywhere and anytime without worry; your assumption that I can is not true at all. I am often conscious of where I'm not free to be honest. In addition to political differences, I have always had to worry about public perception because I am a woman and, now, an older woman who is *gasp* overweight. Don't discount how prejudices on both attributes can play into how one is treated.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2021, 2:50 am

Mr Reynholm wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

not true at all. only in rightwing minds.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2021, 2:56 am

DW_a_mom wrote:
You also discount the fact that I cannot express my opinions everywhere and anytime without worry; your assumption that I can is not true at all. I am often conscious of where I'm not free to be honest. In addition to political differences, I have always had to worry about public perception because I am a woman and, now, an older woman who is *gasp* overweight. Don't discount how prejudices on both attributes can play into how one is treated.

Do you have any opinions that you know could actually get you fired, like people online will try to track you down and hound your employer to fire you, friends will publicly abandon or even denounce you, perhaps a news agency will even try to ambush you with a camera and microphone, if you were to state them in public? Where any of these opinions completely anodyne and uncontroversial even a few years ago? I'm genuinely asking, your age and faith say you actually might, and that entire threat comes from your own side of the political aisle.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2021, 3:22 am

Dox47 wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:

Do you have any opinions that you know could actually get you fired, like people online will try to track you down and hound your employer to fire you, friends will publicly abandon or even denounce you, perhaps a news agency will even try to ambush you with a camera and microphone, if you were to state them in public? Where any of these opinions completely anodyne and uncontroversial even a few years ago? I'm genuinely asking, your age and faith say you actually might, and that entire threat comes from your own side of the political aisle.

I'm not sure, to be honest. I THINK I'm too middle of the road despite being perceived as partisan in this group. One of my sisters, however ... I've been known to cut off political conversation she might start if certain relatives are present. She speaks too forcefully and broadly.

The whole on-line stalking thing is so far out of control. People are CRAZY. It doesn't take much. I had a bizarre senior moment when traveling recently and I realized after it was pure luck that I didn't end up an internet joke. I try to be cautious enough to keep the low skill crazies from ever finding me, even though I am aware a skilled crazy will probably have an easy enough time of it.

I've seen some pretty appalling criticisms and stalking of liberals. It isn't a one way street by any means.

I have seen someone in real life get fired for essentially being liberal on TV. They were also a bit of a jerk, but it was the whole package that turned the public. The views expressed weren't that bad, but the pressure on the company sure was.

I've had two good friends unfriend me because of politics. I may not hold back on my opinions, but I really don't think I'm ever mean or absolute about it, and I try to be balanced, but around 2016 the way people read my posts seemed to change overnight. 4 decades of adult life I've been the same me with almost no problems, and just like that conservatives see me entirely differently than they used to.

I've never unfriended anyone.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2021, 6:38 am

Dox47 wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:

Gang-stalking! 8O

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2021, 6:43 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Dox47 wrote:
Pepe wrote:

If conservatives had taken to task racists targeting Obama, instead of looking the other way, maybe the left wouldn't have gone overboard on all conservative criticism.

Here in Australia (I believe I can speak about Australian politics :scratch: ), the left do exactly that too.
It is called "partisan politics". 8)

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2021, 8:04 am

auntblabby wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

not true at all. only in rightwing minds.
Any time a criticism was lodged agains Obama the race card was played.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2021, 8:11 am

I don't believe Obama himself saw himself as being a "black" President"

I don't believe he played the "race card"---except maybe in rare instances.

The people who objected to him being President as a black man sort of forced him to see "race." Otherwise, Obama believed in primarily "mainstream" things.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2021, 12:29 pm

Dox47 wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:

This only happens if you say anything racist or anything that is unprofessional in your work place. Let's say my mom working as a nurse at the time decided to write a rant on her social media page about a patient, that will get her fired if that comment was seen and got reported to her work. If you call in sick but instead took a trip to the coast instead, yeah fired. People are dumb enough to post about it on their social media page and if they happen to have it be public.

It's simple really, don't talk s**t about people and your work and make it be public. It's common sense to be anonymous and keep it off your social media pages where you use your real name and have actual photos of you.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.