Column: Larry Elder is the Black face of white supremacy.

Page 16 of 41 [ 647 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 41  Next

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2021, 9:46 pm

Mr Reynholm wrote:
Flee California now while you still can. It's corrupt one party system has turned a great prosperous state into a third world hell hole so run while you can.

I hope "Skynet" didn't have anything/k to do with that. [alluding to a former politician] :mrgreen:

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2021, 10:26 pm

Pepe wrote:
Brictoria wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Fnord wrote:
When the backers of a recall election have no single candidate to run against the incumbent, and can instead field only a random collection of fools, freaks, and fascist-wannabes, the defeat of the recall effort is a virtual certainty.

As a side note, is it just me, or has anyone else noticed how quiet this thread has become since the results of the recall election were announced?

This generalisation is against WP policy, I would have thought. 8)
I think your commentary, suggesting only miscreant candidates, on the right, are selected, falls into the category of a gross generalisation.)

Maybe it's simply his way of admitting that Californian voters simply aren't prepared to have an "African American" as governor, preferring a privileged white male hold the position, based around how he described the recall...

Interestingly enough, he also appears to have not understood how the recall election worked...

There were 2 seperate questions:
The first was whether people thought the current governor's actions warranted his removal from office (a simple yes/no question).
The second question was who should take the role, should enough people believe his actions warranted his removal.

At no point was it a vote between the governor and any other person (no-one was "running against the incumbent", as he was asserting), and it would be entirely possible to prefer another candidate (2nd question) while still voting "no" in the first (Similarly, a person may desire to vote "yes" to the first question, yet still prefer him over the other candidates - although given the way these are designed, that would not be possible (his name wasn't listed for the second question) and so would force the person desiring this outcome to vote "no" to the first question instead, in order to have the desired result).

Of the 4 voting options, only 1 of them would result in the governor being replaced (or 1 from 3, when you consider that one of the options wasn't "possible", requiring those who favoured it to use another of the 4 instead).

As a side note, it would be interesting to see how closely the "no" vote came to the vote for him to hold the position in the last election for it.

Thank you for your "due diligence". 8)

Not a problem - The election came up for discussion (and subsequent explanation) through some of the legal sources I follow, as there were several cases raised surrounding it including (from memory, and not a complete list) trying to have it stopped, trying to have the current governor's name added to the list of options should the "yes" vote to remove him have been successful, trying to have his party listed against his name in the recall (yes/no) portion of the ballot.

The recall attempts aren't exactly uncommon, either, with every governor since 1960 appearing to have faced at least one attempt, although most did not make it as far as this did - Only 1 of those appears to have qualified for a ballot (2003, when Arnold Schwarzenegger replaced Gray Davis).

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2021, 11:57 pm

Brictoria wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Fnord wrote:
When the backers of a recall election have no single candidate to run against the incumbent, and can instead field only a random collection of fools, freaks, and fascist-wannabes, the defeat of the recall effort is a virtual certainty.

As a side note, is it just me, or has anyone else noticed how quiet this thread has become since the results of the recall election were announced?

This generalisation is against WP policy, I would have thought. 8)
I think your commentary, suggesting only miscreant candidates, on the right, are selected, falls into the category of a gross generalisation.)

Maybe it's simply his way of admitting that Californian voters simply aren't prepared to have an "African American" as governor, preferring a privileged white male hold the position, based around how he described the recall...

Interestingly enough, he also appears to have not understood how the recall election worked...

There were 2 seperate questions:
The first was whether people thought the current governor's actions warranted his removal from office (a simple yes/no question).
The second question was who should take the role, should enough people believe his actions warranted his removal.

At no point was it a vote between the governor and any other person (no-one was "running against the incumbent", as he was asserting), and it would be entirely possible to prefer another candidate (2nd question) while still voting "no" in the first (Similarly, a person may desire to vote "yes" to the first question, yet still prefer him over the other candidates - although given the way these are designed, that would not be possible (his name wasn't listed for the second question) and so would force the person desiring this outcome to vote "no" to the first question instead, in order to have the desired result).

Of the 4 voting options, only 1 of them would result in the governor being replaced (or 1 from 3, when you consider that one of the options wasn't "possible", requiring those who favoured it to use another of the 4 instead).

As a side note, it would be interesting to see how closely the "no" vote came to the vote for him to hold the position in the last election for it.

It was not a matter of the people of California not being ready for a black governor. Californians didn't want to see their state turned into another hive of Covid death, like the governors of Florida, Texas, Alabama, Mississippi, and other red hellholes have been turned their states into.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2021, 12:50 am

DW_a_mom wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Larry Elder is eligible to join whatever party he wants.

Interestingly the OPs proposition is shared by the community that Elder is from
https://laist.com/news/politics/larry-e ... ablishment

To be precise:

ONE of the communities people are assuming Larry Elder would consider himself to be a part of. Community is defined by those inside it. Not us.

In the biography of the famous black leader Malcolm X was debating a heckler at a speech at UCLA who turned out to be a black professor. The heckler was arrogant in his confidence that he was living proof of Martin Luther King's dream of assimilation surrounded by his white students (ironically the professor was oblivious none of his students included Poc),

Malcolm X's response to this man was very sharp (the very opposite of the obfuscation I see now contaminating the WP forum). He said quite categorically that self-appointed black leaders or celebrities who rise to power using white support consistently betray black struggle for justice. In rising to power they allow themselves to be manipulated or pressed to stand for political positions but tow the line and undermine the majority of Black Americans’ political interests. He said people (like the professor) who claim their positions should be taken as representative of the changes happening to the Black community, despite the fact that their experiences were very different from the majority.

Malcolm X argued that the problem was rooted in what it took to become a Black leader in a racist country, and the implications of what one’s connection (proximity) to a racist system does to one’s political views and theory of social change.

This implies that black leaders like Larry Elder who had proximity to capital, fame and fortune — can't seriously be aligned or reconciled with the “Black masses.” Malcolm X framed people like Elder as a group separate from the people they claimed to represent.

Malcolm pointed to the heart of the matter: that race and class status should be carefully scrutinized when considering whether Black leaders, sport starts and celebrities could actually advocate for the liberation of the entire Black community.

I realise the time he lived was far more toxic for civil rights and the democrat party did emerge from this time as a party for black people. The points Malcolm X made in 1963 are still valid in 2021 when you have people like Larry Elder claiming to be a role model for black people when infact 90% of black voters never vote republican. And there is a reason.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2021, 3:14 am

^^ @cyberdad, so Elder should not be perceived as being from the black community, despite the way you worded your link to the article?

Not that I didn’t find all the history interesting.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2021, 4:53 am

DW_a_mom wrote:
^^ @cyberdad, so Elder should not be perceived as being from the black community, despite the way you worded your link to the article?.

We can't decide that (and neither can others on this thread or pro-conservative trolls). Only the black community can decide who represents them, Malcolm X's words were also a warning to the latter day black democrats (not just republicans) as well to take care who they are serving,

And the black community have spoken, Only 14% consider themselves conservative and of that many christian conservative blacks can't stomach the republicans so the actual % who support people like Elder are more like 5-9% (Not inaccurate given that Trump's approval rating among blacks was 9%)

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2021, 5:17 am

cyberdad wrote:
We can't decide that (and neither can others on this thread or pro-conservative trolls).

Who are these trolls you keep referring to? Are they in the room with us now?

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2021, 6:04 am

cyberdad wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:
^^ @cyberdad, so Elder should not be perceived as being from the black community, despite the way you worded your link to the article?.

We can't decide that.

I think that was my point a few posts ago. Thanks for clarifying your point. I just wasn’t sure where you meant to go with the story, in relation to this conversation.

I think I’m talking in circles now … time to call it a night.

Ps - hasn’t this tangent just been me and you? No reason for you to reference any third parties.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2021, 6:19 am

Dox47 wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
We can't decide that (and neither can others on this thread or pro-conservative trolls).

Calling someone a "troll" is a personal attack. 8)

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2021, 8:32 am

DW_a_mom wrote:
^^ @cyberdad, so Elder should not be perceived as being from the black community, despite the way you worded your link to the article?

So You get to decide if Larry Elder is black? He has to fit into the required box to be black? How is this not racist?

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2021, 8:34 am

Dox47 wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

I'm a Troll because I ask uncomfortable questions.

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2021, 8:38 am

cyberdad wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Larry Elder is eligible to join whatever party he wants.

Interestingly the OPs proposition is shared by the community that Elder is from
https://laist.com/news/politics/larry-e ... ablishment

To be precise:

ONE of the communities people are assuming Larry Elder would consider himself to be a part of. Community is defined by those inside it. Not us.

In the biography of the famous black leader Malcolm X was debating a heckler at a speech at UCLA who turned out to be a black professor. The heckler was arrogant in his confidence that he was living proof of Martin Luther King's dream of assimilation surrounded by his white students (ironically the professor was oblivious none of his students included Poc),

Malcolm X's response to this man was very sharp (the very opposite of the obfuscation I see now contaminating the WP forum). He said quite categorically that self-appointed black leaders or celebrities who rise to power using white support consistently betray black struggle for justice. In rising to power they allow themselves to be manipulated or pressed to stand for political positions but tow the line and undermine the majority of Black Americans’ political interests. He said people (like the professor) who claim their positions should be taken as representative of the changes happening to the Black community, despite the fact that their experiences were very different from the majority.

Malcolm X argued that the problem was rooted in what it took to become a Black leader in a racist country, and the implications of what one’s connection (proximity) to a racist system does to one’s political views and theory of social change.

This implies that black leaders like Larry Elder who had proximity to capital, fame and fortune — can't seriously be aligned or reconciled with the “Black masses.” Malcolm X framed people like Elder as a group separate from the people they claimed to represent.

Malcolm pointed to the heart of the matter: that race and class status should be carefully scrutinized when considering whether Black leaders, sport starts and celebrities could actually advocate for the liberation of the entire Black community.

I realise the time he lived was far more toxic for civil rights and the democrat party did emerge from this time as a party for black people. The points Malcolm X made in 1963 are still valid in 2021 when you have people like Larry Elder claiming to be a role model for black people when infact 90% of black voters never vote republican. And there is a reason.

I'd disagree with Mr X
Black people (or any other people) don't have to fit into a stereotypical box to be black. This is more about control than anything. Just like Uncle Joe saying if you don't vote for him "You aint black!".

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2021, 10:52 am

Mr Reynholm wrote:
[...] Black people (or any other people) don't have to fit into a stereotypical box to be black.  This is more about control than anything.  Just like Uncle Joe saying if you don't vote for him "You ain't black!"
Agreed.

It is also fair to point out that (1) the election is over, (2) Newsom is still governor, and (3) whatever whiny complaints the opposition candidates may have had , they are irrelevant.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2021, 11:11 am

Mr Reynholm wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:

So You get to decide if Larry Elder is black? He has to fit into the required box to be black? How is this not racist?

I was asking a question in an effort to understand what another poster said. I didn’t come anywhere close to suggesting “we” get to decide anything about Elder.

Last edited by DW_a_mom on 16 Sep 2021, 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2021, 11:34 am

Fnord wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:
[...] Black people (or any other people) don't have to fit into a stereotypical box to be black.  This is more about control than anything.  Just like Uncle Joe saying if you don't vote for him "You ain't black!"
Agreed.

It is also fair to point out that (1) the election is over, (2) Newsom is still governor, and (3) whatever whiny complaints the opposition candidates may have had , they are irrelevant.

But the issues that led to the recall still exist. California is in a shambles and is getting worse.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2021, 1:48 pm

Mr Reynholm wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:
Agreed.  It is also fair to point out that (1) the election is over, (2) Newsom is still governor, and (3) whatever whiny complaints the opposition candidates may have had, they are irrelevant.
But the issues that led to the recall still exist. California is in a shambles and is getting worse.
Not entirely true.  We have our problems (i.e., brush fires, earthquakes, Disney, et cetera), but employment is increasing, covid vaccinations are becoming more common, traffic is flowing, and the GOP has been given a slap.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.