Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Outlaw0807
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Aug 2021, 9:31 pm

I've been wondering for a while if I'm autistic or not, and so tonight I decided I would take the plunge and ask people who might know: you guys! I've always been different from other people, never really fit in with any one social group. Certainly, I could get along with others, but sometimes I would make jokes that would fall painfully flat. All the girls I've ever confessed feelings to tell me that I'm very sweet and such a nice guy, but they don't see me as boyfriend material. I did have a girlfriend once, but she approached me, and after six months she cheated on me. I still loved her, but she couldn't say the same, and so we went our separate ways. But I digress, if there are any questions you'd like to ask, I'd be happy to hear them.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2021, 9:37 pm

Welcome aboard.

An online community isn't really able to make accurate diagnoses about participants. I think you would need to pursue formal diagnosis to know. If you were to rely on self-diagnosis there's probably other resources that can help with evaluating.

A lot of what you describe sounds similar to my experience at that age.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Outlaw0807
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Aug 2021, 9:55 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
An online community isn't really able to make accurate diagnoses about participants. I think you would need to pursue formal diagnosis to know.

Yeah, I figured, but I'm not in a position to see a doctor and I don't know of any resources. Besides, I wanted to get to know people too.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2021, 10:08 pm

Welcome to WP!

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2021, 10:08 pm

Outlaw0807 wrote:
Besides, I wanted to get to know people too.

This is a decent place for that. :nerdy:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Outlaw0807
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Aug 2021, 10:21 pm

Wow, Tim_Tex has been here almost as long as I've been alive... that's really something. 8O

Violet_Stardust
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

22 Aug 2021, 7:03 am

Welcome!
There are unofficial questionnaires you can take online that can help aim your suspicion.
Somebody else here will have better information on that — I’ve seen it posted a couple times, but I’m also super new to this.

Welcome to WP from a fellow “Emu Egg.” :lol:

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2021, 10:16 am

As already noted, you'd need a formal diagnosis to know for sure whether or not you were on the Autism Spectrum.

As Violet_Stardust pointed out, however, there are some online tools that can strengthen (or weaken) your suspicions. So far, I've found these two:

Autism-Spectrum Quotient Test
- Aspie Quiz (registering is optional!)

But, no matter, you do not have to be officially, unofficially, or anywhere near to being on the Spectrum to belong on WP. Welcome!

Outlaw0807
Butterfly
Butterfly

22 Aug 2021, 10:42 am

Thank you so much!

One of the other reasons I'd been suspecting that I had some form of autism was that my older brother has it. He's one and a half years older than me and he's very nice. He's very interested in cars.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2021, 5:16 pm

Something I've learned, thanks to WP, is that sometimes apparently Autistic traits can be due to something else. It takes a formal assessment to be sure.

Outlaw0807
Butterfly
Butterfly

22 Aug 2021, 5:27 pm

I ended up taking both tests. I got a 27 out of 50 for the first one and, well, here's the second one.

"Your broader autism cluster (Aspie) score: 131 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 85 of 200
You are very likely on the broader autism cluster (Aspie)"

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2021, 5:49 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :)