Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Crystal1414
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Aug 2021, 11:19 pm

I made food tonight, it was frozen pierogies. I almost got burnt. My parents came home and were impressed that I made food. Then things got tense.

They confronted me about quitting my medication again. I never know know what to say. I freaked out. I ended up crying. Then I fell asleep for a bit. I'm not ready to take medication again.

Also before I left they talked to me about my future. I ended up getting frustrated with them and I threatened to move out. I told them that I want independence. They told me that was unrealistic. I hate when they say that.

Also, we talked about my diagnoses and they started mentioning how hard they are to deal with sometimes. They told me that they want a break from me sometimes. They talked about respite and summer camp. I dislike being away from home.

I know I overreacted to the discussion. My parents felt bad though.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2021, 11:32 pm

Ideally you'd make changes to your medication alongside a doctor instead of abruptly on your own. Whatever changes it makes to the levels of different signalling chemicals in your brain, or how they're recycled, or where they can signal you're probably better off starting or ending gradually to avoid big disruptions.

It must be scary and stressful for you and for them as well. They should probably help you get a case worker and other people who can help you and them navigate what options are available and how to get in contact with them.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2021, 11:32 pm

Crystal1414 wrote:
Also before I left they talked to me about my future.

You could have used this as an opportunity to explain to them why you don't want medications. Because medications would slow down your thinking process which, in turn, would interfere with a possibility of developing future career.

And yes, you should try to think about career in the future. Don't just sit at home: apply to college or something like that. And this would give you a good reason not to take medications.

You wrote

Crystal1414 wrote:
I told them that I want independence. They told me that was unrealistic. I hate when they say that.

But then you also write

Crystal1414 wrote:
They talked about respite and summer camp. I dislike being away from home.

So it seems like you are contradicting yourself. If you like independence, why is it you dislike being away from home?

I think summer camp is a good idea. It would give you the independence that you like.

Crystal1414
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Aug 2021, 11:40 pm

QFT wrote:
Crystal1414 wrote:
Also before I left they talked to me about my future.

You could have used this as an opportunity to explain to them why you don't want medications. Because medications would slow down your thinking process which, in turn, would interfere with a possibility of developing future career.

And yes, you should try to think about career in the future. Don't just sit at home: apply to college or something like that. And this would give you a good reason not to take medications.

You wrote

Crystal1414 wrote:
I told them that I want independence. They told me that was unrealistic. I hate when they say that.

But then you also write

Crystal1414 wrote:
They talked about respite and summer camp. I dislike being away from home.

So it seems like you are contradicting yourself. If you like independence, why is it you dislike being away from home?

I think summer camp is a good idea. It would give you the independence that you like.

I dont know what to do with my future right now. I want independence but I still get homesick. I went to summer camp once. It was fun but I felt really homesick the whole time. My parents want me to go. They also qualify for respite services. They want me to have a support worker to help me once a week.

Crystal1414
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Aug 2021, 11:46 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Ideally you'd make changes to your medication alongside a doctor instead of abruptly on your own. Whatever changes it makes to the levels of different signalling chemicals in your brain, or how they're recycled, or where they can signal you're probably better off starting or ending gradually to avoid big disruptions.

It must be scary and stressful for you and for them as well. They should probably help you get a case worker and other people who can help you and them navigate what options are available and how to get in contact with them.

Yeah. Taking my medication is hard for me. I'm scared of them a lot. I take it sometimes though.

Yeah. It is scary and stressful. They tried to get me help before the pandemic. They have been looking at a program for people with developmental disabilities and mental illness. They want me to have a support worker. They qualify for respite services as well. For some reason it's hard for me to stick to a treatment program.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2021, 12:11 am

Crystal1414 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

Yeah. Taking my medication is hard for me. I'm scared of them a lot. I take it sometimes though.

Yeah. It is scary and stressful. They tried to get me help before the pandemic. They have been looking at a program for people with developmental disabilities and mental illness. They want me to have a support worker. They qualify for respite services as well. For some reason it's hard for me to stick to a treatment program.

I don't blame you, it's hard to trust that medication will work without messing with you, especially when a lot of them do have negative side effects and it often takes awhile to find something that works well without too many side effects.

Anything that feels limiting can be hard to stick with, but it can often have benefits to one's qualify of life in the long-run.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Crystal1414
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Aug 2021, 12:18 am

funeralxempire wrote:
Crystal1414 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

I don't blame you, it's hard to trust that medication will work without messing with you, especially when a lot of them do have negative side effects and it often takes awhile to find something that works well without too many side effects.

Anything that feels limiting can be hard to stick with, but it can often have benefits to one's qualify of life in the long-run.

Yeah. Medication can cause side effects. Mine does but not too badly. It just makes me feel a bit flat.

Yeah. I'm unsure of what I need right now to be honest. I'd like to feel stable though. I have not felt stable since I was 16.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2021, 12:21 am

Crystal1414 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Crystal1414 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

Yeah. Medication can cause side effects. Mine does but not too badly. It just makes me feel a bit flat.

Yeah. I'm unsure of what I need right now to be honest. I'd like to feel stable though. I have not felt stable since I was 16.

I've been stuck in that state for more than half of my life. :oops:

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Crystal1414
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Aug 2021, 6:59 am

funeralxempire wrote:
Crystal1414 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Crystal1414 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

I've been stuck in that state for more than half of my life. :oops:

I'm sorry to hear that you have been stuck in that state. It's not pleasant, at least for me. But then again I feel great sometimes. I just remember feeling great when I was 16 and I thought I was doing well. My last 2 years of high school after that were a bit of a disaster. I could not focus and I wasnt very motivated. I signed up for hard classes that I could not handle. I could do the work just not at the same pace. It got bad. I had a teacher who would tease me a lot as well. He called me lazy and called me out for mistakes I made on a test, in front of the whole class. When I went to class I would miss large amounts of what was happening.