Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Michel Ardan
Butterfly
Butterfly

22 Aug 2021, 11:08 am

Hi everyone :)

I’ve been diagnosed as autistic last year at nearly 29 years old. My psychiatrists wants me to meet other aspies and I quite liked the idea. however with the lockdowns it was impossible for months to do so I decided to try online on this forum. I live in France near Paris an the meeting there are always on Saturday morning when I’m grocery shopping which is unfortunate.

I’ve always found that life seemed easier for everyone else but I didn’t think much about it. It was only in summer 2019 when I did the Aspie Quiz for fun that the idea of possibly being autistic really became serious. Someone launched a thread about this quiz saying it would be fun to do and people were posting their score. I knew I had a few autistic traits but the result (“you’re very likely an aspie” or something like that) really surprised me and lead me to do more tests like the RAADS, if I recall correctly, that ended up positive. Finally, after reading a bit about autism and the Asperger’s syndrome, I decided to write down all the reasons I might be autistic (16 pages), as advised by some people and asked my mother to know if she ever questioned something about me when I was little. But being an only child growing up in a village in the countryside it’s hard to compare to other kids and she never thought about me being different. Eventually, I booked an appointment with a psychiatrists specialized in autism whose name was given to me by the local autism resource centre.

I went to the psychiatrist with all the tests results and my writing about my supposed autism. After talking for about an hour she told me that I am indeed probably autistic. It was again a big surprise because while I thought it could be possible, I wouldn’t dare to even suggest it could be obvious, let alone right. In fact, because France is way behind in everything related to autism, I thought that this sentence wouldn’t have been pronounced before months of work with a professional. A lot of french autistic people wait years to get an official diagnosis, and I received mine in the mail a few weeks later after returning some more tests as required by the psychiatrist.

It was too fast to be true. When you read blogs the authors are always writing about the process, like you spend a day in an evaluation centre, have your IQ tested and everything (mine was determined at age 7 or 8 which can explain a few things), and then you wait for so long you’re wondering if they forgot to send you the results. I needed a new appointment with the psychiatrist who confirmed the diagnosis and encouraged me to discuss with other aspies to get a better idea of what it is and how my own struggles are indeed signs of autism. This is why I’m here. Funnily, I’ve read somewhere that doubting like this is an autistic trait.

This result actually confirms a few things. Firstly, other kids in middle school were right when they told me I was autistic, and I was too when I agreed with them thinking bullying would stop. Obviously they couldn’t know, it was just an insult like the R-word, but they sure as hell noticed something was different. Secondly, I was also right the time I thought I was autistic at age 24 when reading about someone who found out at 30-something after experiencing an event I forgot but quite similar to the one I experienced a few months before which lead to my highest level of anxiety ever, exactly like her. I went to a psychiatric who sent me to a psychiatrist but I haven’t talked about autism, just anxiety, and ended up with a Xanax prescription which I let expire without buying a single pill.

This has been long enough already. To sum up, I want to discuss with people like me and maybe feeling more legitimate as an autistic person.

Violet_Stardust
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

22 Aug 2021, 1:05 pm

Welcome!

I have a similar struggle, as one who was diagnosed as an adult. Actually, I received my official diagnosis only two days ago. I’m new to this site, new to this world, and happy to be here.
I’m glad you’re here,too!

My diagnosis took several months and a few referrals and a lot of stress… but it was still worlds easier and quicker than the horror stories I’ve heard and the great beast that my anxiety projected in my path.

Your English is great - did you grow up in France?
I’m asking because I have studied French, and my French pen pal is adequate with English, but not like you seem to be. We can understand each other, but it’s not exactly perfect fluency on either end. He rated my French a 7/10, which I think was generous (I’d give myself a 4). I rated his English an 8/10, which I think was accurate.

Michel Ardan
Butterfly
Butterfly

22 Aug 2021, 1:32 pm

Hi!

Your experience was the kind I was expecting. Several months being on the faster end. Some people wait years. That’s crazy!

I indeed grow up in France. I was born and spent my whole life there. My English skills come from school and quite a lot of reading on Reddit. Only my written English is good though. :mrgreen:

N’hésites-pas à m’écrire en français si tu veux.

Violet_Stardust
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

22 Aug 2021, 1:45 pm

Ah, oui! J’ai besoin de pratique!

I am the same. I can’t “speak” French effectively — only write. I get nervous! :lol:

A_minor
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Aug 2021, 5:50 pm

Bienvenu à WP!

I've been to France quite a few times, as a kid with my parents and on my own in my early twenties, backpacking and by motorbike. Loved it. I hardly speak any French anymore, ça fait trop longtemps.

I was diagnosed at the age of 49, I had to wait 3 months for my first appointment but 2 months after that I received my autism diagnosis, along with 3 other ones I wasn't expecting. The 3 month wait was stressful, but I can't complain compared to others...

Enjoy your stay!

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2021, 2:18 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :D

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2021, 2:25 pm

Welcome aboard.
Do you use Discord?

https://discord.gg/GJdQKFm6

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2021, 2:59 pm

Welcome to WP! I think you can find some nice people and some nice conversations here.

ct507
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Aug 2021, 4:10 pm

Never a bad thing to get more perspective on autism from another part of the world. Welcome to the forums!

Michel Ardan
Butterfly
Butterfly

24 Aug 2021, 4:43 pm

Thanks for your messages!

A_minor wrote:
I was diagnosed at the age of 49, I had to wait 3 months for my first appointment but 2 months after that I received my autism diagnosis, along with 3 other ones I wasn't expecting. The 3 month wait was stressful, but I can't complain compared to others...

My experience is pretty similar. My appointment was scheduled in maybe October or November 2019 for the 10h of March 2020, exactly one week before the lockdown started. The diagnosis arrived in April 2020.

ct507 wrote:
Never a bad thing to get more perspective on autism from another part of the world.

This was exactly my reasoning when choosing this forum instead of the French one.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2021, 10:48 pm

Michel Ardan wrote:
. . other kids in middle school were right when they told me I was autistic, and I was too when I agreed with them thinking bullying would stop. Obviously they couldn’t know, it was just an insult like the R-word, but they sure as hell noticed something was different. .

Kids in middle school can be very mean. At least they can here in the United States.

Middle school = ages 11 to 14

Plus, the adults abdicate responsibility. Oh, they still give lectures and grade tests and papers. But as far as taking responsibility for the overall welfare of the kids, and trying to bend the path and channel bullying behavior in a more positive direction, forget it. There’s not even a home room.

PS. I’m glad you have an autism resource center. :D

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2021, 1:36 pm

I would like to join too.

The Discord link is expired.

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2021, 4:36 am

welcome!

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson