Page 3 of 4 [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2021, 9:27 am

Axeman wrote:
Bradleigh wrote:
Axeman wrote:
By biologically I mean XY is male and XX is female. As in hormones, reproductive organs, etc. As in what's on your birth certificate. Not the sex you identify with in your mind.

My understanding is that most trans people are heterosexual relative to the sex they identify as. For example, mtf trans people are usually attracted to men, and ftm trans people are usually attracted to women. Given this I'm not sure why they belong under the gay umbrella.

Just thought I would drop in on this just to make a comment about sex being complicated, people can have intersex conditions where they might have traits associated with opposing sexes, and not necessarily the XY and XX chromosome you might expect. And most people can't see chromosomes.

Sex is considered not based on a single thing, but a number of different traits, with such traits that can differ from person to person, which can show a bimodal distribution of sex, since many people might have some sort of trait of the opposite sex. Everyone tends to have different levels of testosterone and estrogen, that is both of them, and not just the one of the sex/gender they were assigned at birth.

Yes I'm aware of intersexed people. Some have both male and female sex organs. It's not the same as a trans person. There are also conditions caused by sex chromosome nondisjunction, such as Kleinfelters syndrome in which the person is XXY. This usually results in a male with many female characteristics. Or Turner's Syndrome, where the person has only a single X chromosome, usually resulting in a sterile masculine female.

Why do you even know this stuff? ..but not non binary? Studied biology and are well versed in Sex, but not Gender Identity? :?

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2021, 9:30 am

goldfish21 wrote:
Axeman wrote:
Bradleigh wrote:
Axeman wrote:
By biologically I mean XY is male and XX is female. As in hormones, reproductive organs, etc. As in what's on your birth certificate. Not the sex you identify with in your mind.

My understanding is that most trans people are heterosexual relative to the sex they identify as. For example, mtf trans people are usually attracted to men, and ftm trans people are usually attracted to women. Given this I'm not sure why they belong under the gay umbrella.

Just thought I would drop in on this just to make a comment about sex being complicated, people can have intersex conditions where they might have traits associated with opposing sexes, and not necessarily the XY and XX chromosome you might expect. And most people can't see chromosomes.

Sex is considered not based on a single thing, but a number of different traits, with such traits that can differ from person to person, which can show a bimodal distribution of sex, since many people might have some sort of trait of the opposite sex. Everyone tends to have different levels of testosterone and estrogen, that is both of them, and not just the one of the sex/gender they were assigned at birth.

Yes I'm aware of intersexed people. Some have both male and female sex organs. It's not the same as a trans person. There are also conditions caused by sex chromosome nondisjunction, such as Kleinfelters syndrome in which the person is XXY. This usually results in a male with many female characteristics. Or Turner's Syndrome, where the person has only a single X chromosome, usually resulting in a sterile masculine female.

Why do you even know this stuff? ..but not non binary? Studied biology and are well versed in Sex, but not Gender Identity? :?

I'd never heard of non binary as a cultural thing until someone compared a Star Trek character to a non binary on a Trek board. Seriously.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2021, 9:32 am

Axeman wrote:
I'd never heard of non binary as a cultural thing until ...
All labels are cultural, while the aspects they represent are cross-cultural.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2021, 9:42 am

Also some men are XYY. I don't think this has a syndrome attached to it, but I've heard some who say it results in an overly aggressive male.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2021, 9:46 am

Axeman wrote:
Also some men are XYY. I don't think this has a syndrome attached to it, but I've heard some who say it results in an overly aggressive male.
It is called "Klinefelter syndrome".
Wikipedia wrote:
"Klinefelter Syndrome" (KS), also known as "47,XXY" is a syndrome where a male has an additional copy of the X chromosome.  The primary features are infertility and small, poorly functioning testicles.  Often, symptoms are subtle and subjects do not realize they are affected.  Sometimes, symptoms are more evident and may include weaker muscles, greater height, poor motor coordination, less body hair, breast growth, and less interest in sex.  Often, these symptoms are noticed only at puberty.  Intelligence is usually normal, but reading difficulties and problems with speech are more common.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Last edited by Fnord on 08 Sep 2021, 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2021, 9:47 am

Fnord wrote:
Axeman wrote:
It is called, "Klinefelter syndrome".

No. That's XXY.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2021, 9:51 am

Axeman wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Axeman wrote:
It is called, "Klinefelter syndrome".
No. That's XXY.
You are correct.  I blame lysDexia for the error.
Wikipedia wrote:
XYY syndrome is a genetic condition in which a male has an extra Y chromosome.  There are usually few symptoms.  These may include being taller than average, acne, and an increased risk of learning problems.  The person is generally otherwise typical, including typical rates of fertility.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2021, 10:39 am

XY was the name of a Very Swanky lounge w/ a decent little stage in the West End of Vancouver, BC. OBVIOUSLY had a great gay interior designer. Same owners own 1181 down the street. Both are on Davie Street; the heart of the gay village. Unfortunately XY permanently closed during covid. :/ Truly, it's a Nice room - go to google maps and search for XY on Davie Street in Vancouver. Okay, 1216 Bute Street - the address is on the side street; I guess it's a few steps off of Davie, but I found it via "XY Davie," -> there are a few photos of the interior, you'll see what I mean. Was a nice place for a drink once in a blue moon.

Also more likely to find XY anomaly humans there, or nearby, too. :P

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2021, 3:39 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
Axeman wrote:
Bradleigh wrote:
Axeman wrote:

I wondered if there was an XXYY genotype so I googled it. These people do exist, and main characteristics include speech delays, developmental delays, and difficulty socializing, and behavioral outbursts (meltdowns). My eyebrows were raised.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2021, 11:16 am

Axeman wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
Axeman wrote:
Bradleigh wrote:
Axeman wrote:

I wondered if there was an XXYY genotype so I googled it. These people do exist, and main characteristics include speech delays, developmental delays, and difficulty socializing, and behavioral outbursts (meltdowns). My eyebrows were raised.

Aaaah, and then down the rabbit hole you went. Glad you did tbh, a lot of good questions & answers in this thread - things that most people don't pay much attention to learning or caring about in the slightest. Nice to have a written record of it for others to read and learn from, too. I can't speak for them, but I think my trans friends would appreciate this conversation's existence. 8)

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2021, 11:26 am

goldfish21 wrote:
Axeman wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
Axeman wrote:
Bradleigh wrote:
Axeman wrote:

Aaaah, and then down the rabbit hole you went. Glad you did tbh, a lot of good questions & answers in this thread - things that most people don't pay much attention to learning or caring about in the slightest. Nice to have a written record of it for others to read and learn from, too. I can't speak for them, but I think my trans friends would appreciate this conversation's existence. 8)

Well an XXYY genotype seems a clear cut genetic cause of autism in men.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2021, 4:21 pm

Axeman wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
Axeman wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
Axeman wrote:
Bradleigh wrote:
Axeman wrote:

Quote:
How common is XXYY syndrome?
Image result for xxyy genotype
Sex chromosomal variations in general are actually quite common. The occurrence of 48, XXYY is 1 in 17,000 live male births. The occurrence of Klinefelter Syndrome, XXY, is 1 in 500.Apr. 29, 2021

Yes, it seems this 1 in 17,000 males anomaly is CLEARLY responsible for a genetic cause of Autism in males.. lol not.

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2021, 4:53 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
Axeman wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
Axeman wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
Axeman wrote:
Bradleigh wrote:
Axeman wrote:

Quote:
How common is XXYY syndrome?
Image result for xxyy genotype
Sex chromosomal variations in general are actually quite common. The occurrence of 48, XXYY is 1 in 17,000 live male births. The occurrence of Klinefelter Syndrome, XXY, is 1 in 500.Apr. 29, 2021

Yes, it seems this 1 in 17,000 males anomaly is CLEARLY responsible for a genetic cause of Autism in males.. lol not.

Should have said some men. It's a spectrum so there probably isn't just one cause. And women on the spectrum obviously don't have Y chromosomes.

Last edited by Axeman on 09 Sep 2021, 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2021, 5:17 pm

Interesting fact is every human embryo needs at least one X chromosome to be viable but none need a Y chromosome. The theory is that the Y started as an X which of course explains it's regions of homology with the X needed for meiosis but for unknown reasons lost most of it's chromatin while accumulating genes for maleness.

People think you get half your genetic makeup from each parent but males get less than half from the father because the Y contains much less genetic material than the X. Also all or nearly all mitochondrial genes are inherited from the mother.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2021, 6:02 pm

Axeman wrote:
Should have said some men. It's a spectrum so there probably isn't just one cause. And women on the spectrum obviously don't have Y chromosomes.

I am not sure if I am missunderstanding context here, but I thought that it should be clear at this point that chromosomes don't make someone a man or not. Someone can have the chromosomes typically associated with male, and still be a woman or an enby.