Shots fired by Alt-Right man during Antifa/Proud Boys clash

Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2021, 3:47 am

Portland Shots fired near downtown protest, dueling demonstrators clash violently in NE Portland

Quote:
Far right-wing demonstrators and left-wing protesters clashed Sunday in Portland, a conflict that was punctuated with gunfire on a downtown street.

Dustin Brandon Ferreira, 37, a left-wing activist, said he was with other activists Sunday evening when a man used a slur against a Black man in the group and fired multiple rounds in their direction.

Dennis Anderson, 65, was charged with unlawful use and possession of a firearm and booked into the Multnomah County Jail shortly after the shooting, according to jail records. Anderson’s bail was set at $7,500. Portland police Sgt. Kevin Allen confirmed Anderson was the shooter.

A video taken by one witness showed shots being fired toward the shooter at Southwest Yamhill Street and Southwest 2nd Avenue at one point, though it is unclear whether he was fired on first.

No one was injured.

Before the shooting, the suspected shooter, who had been standing at the fringes of the downtown protest for hours Sunday, told an Oregonian/OregonLive reporter that the left-wing activists were “the real fascists.”

The day began at Tom McCall Waterfront Park, where an estimated 300 demonstrators gathered to protest planned gatherings by right-wing groups who decided to move their event to an abandoned Kmart parking lot off Northeast 122nd Avenue.

By mid-day, splinter groups from the left arrived at the right wing gathering, prompting verbal skirmishes, followed by roving street battles that were marked by bear mace and bursts of fireworks that shrouded a stretch of Northeast 122nd Avenue in thick smoke.

Members of both sides were heavily armed. Bats, paintball guns and wooden spears were among the weapons observed on the left and paintball guns and bats were seen among members of the right. People on both sides carried large shields.

A person clad in black was seen at the waterfront early in the afternoon carrying what appeared to be a rifle and bullets. It was not immediately clear whether the rifle was a replica.

Portland police took a mostly hands-off approach during much of the day. Officers were conspicuously absent even as left-wing activists erected barricades on downtown streets. On Twitter, the bureau said it was monitoring the situation.

Portland Police Chief Chuck Lovell said Friday that police would not be getting in the middle of dueling groups and would instead keep an eye out for law-breakers.

About 4 p.m. Sunday, a white van leading left-wing demonstrators drove into the Kmart lot in Northeast Portland and crashed near the entrance. Members of the Proud Boys, the right-wing activist group, shot it with paint balls and smashed it with baseball bats.

The conflict escalated with dozens streaming onto the four-lane roadway in Northeast Portland. Bear mace was used by some protesters, though the source was unclear.

After the street skirmish was over, some Proud Boys returned to the parking lot and flipped over the van.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2021, 5:13 am

About 4 p.m. Sunday, a white van leading left-wing demonstrators drove into the Kmart lot in Northeast Portland and crashed near the entrance. Members of the Proud Boys, the right-wing activist group, shot it with paint balls and smashed it with baseball bats.

The conflict escalated with dozens streaming onto the four-lane roadway in Northeast Portland. Bear mace was used by some protesters, though the source was unclear.

After the street skirmish was over, some Proud Boys returned to the parking lot and flipped over the van.

Aren't these the people Trump called "fine people" and told them to "stand back and stand by"

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2021, 8:10 am

cyberdad wrote:

Aren't these the people Trump called "fine people" and told them to "stand back and stand by"

Yes they are.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2021, 2:33 pm

They really ought to just set up a ThunderDome in Portland and let these guys fully duke it out, anything goes style, and finance it with the revenue from a live stream of the action.

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2021, 2:52 pm

They were just having fun. If they'd been serious they would have used real bullets.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2021, 4:48 pm

Mr Reynholm wrote:
They were just having fun. If they'd been serious they would have used real bullets.
Obviously, you have never been unarmored and hit with a paintball at close range from a paintball gun that has been "juiced" -- the wounds can take weeks to completely heal, even if they do not break the skin.  If you think it if fun to inflict serious wounds on unarmed and unarmored people, then maybe you do not belong on this website.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2021, 5:10 pm

Mr Reynholm wrote:

Assaulting your political opponents is just speech. 8)

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2021, 5:19 pm

funeralxempire wrote:

Well, I seem to recall a certain political movement arguing that punching Nazis was perfectly fine on the theory that speech is literally violence, so I can see how the confusion might arise.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2021, 5:36 pm

Dox47 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

Well, I seem to recall a certain political movement arguing that punching Nazis was perfectly fine on the theory that speech is literally violence, so I can see how the confusion might arise.

You mean people finally started to say it's okay to assault those who call for violence against them? :chin:

The far-right are violent, their violence justifies self-defence.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2021, 5:46 pm

funeralxempire wrote:

You mean people finally started to say it's okay to assault those who call for violence against them? :chin:

Ahh, so you do actually support violence against people for their speech then?

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2021, 5:48 pm

Dox47 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

Ahh, so you do actually support violence against people for their speech then?

If that's what opposing the right's tendency towards violence means to you. :roll:

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2021, 6:18 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
If that's what opposing the right's tendency towards violence means to you. :roll:

Was sucker punching Richard Spencer as he gave a TV interview justified in your view? I have a very limited view on when violence is justified, one that is thankfully largely shared on the right.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2021, 9:00 pm

Dox47 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

Was sucker punching Richard Spencer as he gave a TV interview justified in your view? I have a very limited view on when violence is justified, one that is thankfully largely shared on the right.

I don't believe the person who hit him was justified.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2021, 9:15 pm

funeralxempire wrote:

Correct. You'd be amazed at how many liberals don't see the hook in that particular piece of bait, or maybe you wouldn't be, sometimes I'm surprised myself.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2021, 9:25 pm

The Thunderball idea isn’t a bad one…..

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2021, 9:37 pm

Dox47 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

Correct. You'd be amazed at how many liberals don't see the hook in that particular piece of bait, or maybe you wouldn't be, sometimes I'm surprised myself.

Although you have to admit the far right have punchable faces