Pfizer Vaccine gets full FDA approval and new name.

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2021, 9:17 am

The US Food and Drug Administration on Monday granted full approval to the Pfizer/BioNTech Covid-19 vaccine for people age 16 and older.  This is the first coronavirus vaccine approved by the FDA, and is expected to open the door to more vaccine mandates.  The Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine has been authorized for emergency use in the United States since mid-December for people age 16 and older.  In May, the authorization was extended to those 12 and older.

Source:
 This CNN Article 

On Monday, the Food and Drug Administration gave its full approval to Pfizer and BioNTech’s covid-19 vaccine, which has until now been covered under an emergency use authorization.  It is now the first of its kind approved in the U.S. -- a decision that public health experts say could improve its acceptance among those still hesitant to take it, as well as allow for smoother enforcement of mandates among private businesses, colleges, and other organizations.  The shot also has a new name: "Comirnaty".

Source:
This Gizmodo Article 

Using the lame excuse "I will not take an experimental drug" is now off the table, especially since the vaccine's efficacy has been proven over 3.5 billion times.

I wonder what people who are afraid of needles will use as an excuse now?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2021, 11:52 am

Fnord wrote:

Lack of a long term study?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2021, 12:07 pm

Dox47 wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Lack of a long term study?
When more than 3,500,000,000 people over the course of 18 months is not enough for those trypanophobics, then there is no limit to how far they will shift the goalposts.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2021, 1:37 pm

Fnord wrote:
When more than 3,500,000,000 people over the course of 18 months is not enough for those trypanophobics, then there is no limit to how far they will shift the goalposts.

You really want to get into moving goalposts in the COVID era?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2021, 3:26 pm

Dox47 wrote:
Fnord wrote:
I like those goalposts firmly planted right where they are right now -- the vaccines work, and at least one of them is no longer "experimental".

I am, however, waiting for some a-hole to come up with yet another lame* excuse to not get vaccinated.

(*NOTE: Being immuno-compromised or allergic to the vaccines are not lame excuses.)

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2021, 3:35 pm

I'm glad you mentioned the "immuno-compromised." I am stressed out on a daily basis over my best friend who falls into that category. I can't take another loss in my life. I just can't!

Oscar Meyer Lansky

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2021, 3:38 pm

VegetableMan wrote:
I'm glad you mentioned the "immuno-compromised." I am stressed out on a daily basis over my best friend who falls into that category. I can't take another loss in my life. I just can't!
I hear your pain ... three funerals last week (two in one day) ... all from covid ... none were vaccinated ...

:(

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2021, 3:43 pm

I'm sorry you've had to go through that. This is a painful time we're living in.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2021, 3:50 pm

VegetableMan wrote:
I'm sorry you've had to go through that. This is a painful time we're living in.
Thanks.  No worries, though.  I guess learning to deal with mortality is just part of growing up.

But it still sucks.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2021, 3:58 pm

Fnord wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:
Thanks.  No worries, though.  I guess learning to deal with mortality is just part of growing up.

But it still sucks.

It does suck. It's the worse thing we have to deal with in life. It's gets worse as we get older. You just have to hold the people we've lost in our heart and keep moving on.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2021, 4:12 pm

Fnord wrote:
Dox47 wrote:
Fnord wrote:
I like those goalposts firmly planted right where they are right now -- the vaccines work, and at least one of them is no longer "experimental".

I am, however, waiting for some a-hole to come up with yet another lame* excuse to not get vaccinated.

(*NOTE: Being immuno-compromised or allergic to the vaccines are not lame excuses.)

A lot of people have claimed they are not anti-vaxx but just skittish because it was "experimental". Now we are going to find how many of these people were really skittish because it was experimental and how many of them are anti-vaxx and just don't want to admit to others or themselves.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2021, 6:27 pm

Reason has a really good article up about why some people might be vaccine skeptical, and not trusting of even an FDA approval in light of the past year:

https://reason.com/2021/08/23/new-york- ... nce-works/

Quote:
But Mandavilli completely overlooks other factors that help explain why so many Americans are disinclined to accept the government's guidance as gospel. Public health advice is not simply a function of science. It incorporates cost-benefit analyses and value judgments on which well-informed people of good faith can honestly differ. Whether "universal masking" in schools makes sense, for instance, depends not only on the uncertain evidence that it prevents outbreaks but on the weight one assigns to the burdens that policy imposes. It also depends on what level of risk is deemed tolerable.

In this case and others, it often seems that public health agencies are working backward, settling on a policy and then searching for evidence to back it up. Anyone who delves into the studies that the CDC cites to justify its recommendation that everyone 2 or older wear face masks in schools and other public settings, regardless of their vaccination status, can see that science is just one element of the agency's deliberative process.

The CDC's initial dismissal of general mask wearing as a precaution against COVID-19 likewise was clearly influenced by nonscientific considerations—in particular, the concern that the practice would aggravate a shortage of masks for health care workers. The agency's reversal of that position in April 2020, although supposedly justified by evolving evidence, officially was driven mainly by concerns about asymptomatic transmission, a danger that had been recognized for months. And while the CDC's double reversal of its mask advice to vaccinated Americans was based on concerns about a new development—the proliferation of the delta variant, coupled with evidence that vaccines are less effective at preventing infection by it—there was legitimate disagreement about the merits of both shifts.

Quote:
State policy likewise has been driven by scientifically questionable reasoning. After California banned outdoor restaurant dining in late 2020, the state's health secretary admitted the policy was not based on evidence that the newly prohibited activity posed a significant risk of virus transmission. The real aim, he said, was to discourage Californians from leaving home.

Around the same time, San Mateo County Health Officer Scott Morrow, an early advocate of lockdowns in the San Francisco Bay Area, complained that there was little rhyme or reason to the new restrictions imposed by Gov. Gavin Newsom, which ultimately delivered no perceptible public health benefit. "I am aware of no data that some of the business activities on which even greater restrictions are being put into place with this new order are the major drivers of transmission," Morrow said. "I'm not sure we know what we're doing."

Morrow, a physician with a public health degree who has been San Mateo County's health officer since 1992, presumably cannot be accused of misunderstanding how science works. His complaint was that California's policies were not justified by the evidence.

They're not even getting into my personal favorite covid flip-flop, the whole "it's okay to attend racial justice protests but not okay to leave the house for other reasons" loophole of last spring and summer, in which public health officials blatantly played politics with their medical advice.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2021, 8:21 pm

Dox47 wrote:
They're not even getting into my personal favorite covid flip-flop, the whole "it's okay to attend racial justice protests but not okay to leave the house for other reasons" loophole of last spring and summer, in which public health officials blatantly played politics with their medical advice.

I wasn't aware of them ever actually claiming it was safe to protest without wearing a mask. What I saw was more of a "it would be insensitive to bring this up now" silence on the matter, helped by the fact the events were all outdoors and masks tended to be worn more often than not. Did I miss something?

I understand skepticism on the science, by the way. We went into all this with the experts not really knowing a whole lot, the situation changes with each variant, and certainly some recommendations have been made with eyes beyond the immediate public health reasons. But it's hard to understand anyone being more concerned about potential long term health implications from a vaccine than the combined threats of short-term death and long-COVID. To get to a point weighing the scales where the later risks don't clearly outweigh the former seems to require a lot of fingers in the ears and "I don't want to believe" thinking.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2021, 8:29 pm

DW_a_mom wrote:
I wasn't aware of them ever actually claiming it was safe to protest without wearing a mask. What I saw was more of a "it would be insensitive to bring this up now" silence on the matter, helped by the fact the events were all outdoors and masks tended to be worn more often than not. Did I miss something?

https://reason.com/2020/06/04/george-fl ... s-disease/

Quote:
In theory, the mass protests following the alleged murder of George Floyd put public health officials who have ceaselessly inveighed against mass gatherings in a difficult position. They have called for a moratorium on most types of public activities, but particularly gathering in large crowds where increased aerosolization from loud talking and yelling could spread the COVID-19 virus to massive groups.

But when it comes to the protests against police brutality, many medical experts think there should be an exemption to the COVID-19 lockdown logic.

More than a thousand public health experts signed an open letter specifically stating that "we do not condemn these gatherings as risky for COVID-19 transmission. We support them as vital to the national public health and to the threatened health specifically of Black people in the United States."

The letter conceded that mass protests carried the risk of spreading coronavirus, and offered some good—if naive—advice for people who are going out anyway: wear masks, stay home if sick, attempt to maintain six feet of distance from other protesters. Many protesters are wearing masks, but others are not. And while we can blame the police for forcefully corralling people into close quarters, it's a bit rich for public health experts to endorse protesting under conditions that they know are impossible for protesters to meet.

Indeed, for the purposes of offering health care advice, the only thing that should matter to doctors is whether their harm-reduction recommendations are being followed: how big is the event, is it outdoors, are masks being worn, etc. However, the letter distinguishes police violence protesters from "white protesters resisting stay-home orders," as if the virus could distinguish between the two types of events. While I am not a doctor, my understanding is that it cannot.

Click through the story for links and cites, some of them are pretty damning.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2021, 11:22 pm

People flocked to take the polio vaccine—even though there were no long-term studies as to its efficacy.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2021, 11:35 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
People flocked to take the polio vaccine—even though there were no long-term studies as to its efficacy.

People were much more trusting back then, and polio was a very disturbing and obvious affliction, not something that you'd compare to a cold or flu. Covid is so antiseptic, we're all shut up in our homes, everything seems pretty normal, unless you work in a hospital you're not seeing sick people or bodies, the only reason most people even know we're in a plague is because the media is telling us we are.