Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2021, 12:42 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:
Seems that Ken Ham's "Well informed expert" qualification is questionable.

Yes, that was sarcasm. He's mostly known for losing a debate to Bill Nye.

Losing debates to a comedian? Wow, thats BAD!

Bill Nye is the "Science Guy" on American TV. For kids. Not as heavyweight as Neil Degrasse, or Stephan Hawkings maybe.

But not a stand up comic. You may have him confused with the Fifties and Sixties stand up comic Louis Nye ( though I would be surprised if you remember Louis Nye).

Here is the "short version" of Bill Nye vs Ken Ham

No, I mean Bill Nye. He was a mechanical engineer until 1986 when he started his career in comedy and TV. He has never been an actual scientist.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2021, 2:22 pm

Bill Nye is a science educator, not a comedian.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2021, 2:39 pm

funeralxempire wrote:

Science Educator? His Wikipedia page says he was a comedian.
I guess Bill Gates is an immunologist too?
Greta Thunberg a Climatologist?
Its only important nowadays that you have the right political views not the right credentials.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2021, 3:17 pm

Mr Reynholm wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

Science Educator? His Wikipedia page says he was a comedian.
I guess Bill Gates is an immunologist too?
Greta Thunberg a Climatologist?
Its only important nowadays that you have the right political views not the right credentials.

Really?

Quote:
William Sanford Nye (born November 27, 1955), popularly known as Bill Nye the Science Guy, is an American mechanical engineer, science communicator, and television presenter. He is best known as the host of the PBS and syndicated children's science show Bill Nye the Science Guy (1993–1998), the Netflix show Bill Nye Saves the World (2017–2018), and for his many subsequent appearances in popular media as a science educator.

I don't see comedian, but maybe my eyes aren't so great. :nerdy:

I haven't heard Bill Nye comment on any political issues, although I have seen the political right succeed at politicizing many scientific issues like climate change, human origins and vaccinations.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2021, 3:34 pm

I think this is what he means:

Born in Washington, D.C., Nye began his career as a mechanical engineer for Boeing Corporation in Seattle, where he invented a hydraulic resonance suppressor tube used on 747 airplanes. In 1986, Nye left Boeing to pursue comedy, writing and performing jokes and bits for the local sketch television show Almost Live!, where he regularly conducted wacky science experiments. Nye aspired to become the next Mr. Wizard, and with the help of several producers, successfully pitched the children's television program Bill Nye the Science Guy to KCTS-TV, Seattle's public television station. The show—which proudly proclaimed in its theme song that "science rules!"—ran from 1993 to 1998 in national TV syndication. Known for its "high-energy presentation and MTV-paced segments,"[4] the program became a hit among kids and adults, was critically acclaimed and was nominated for 23 Emmy Awards, winning 19, including Outstanding Performer in Children's Programming for Nye himself.

He certainly had no educational background in science.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2021, 3:40 pm

VegetableMan wrote:

Born in Washington, D.C., Nye began his career as a mechanical engineer for Boeing Corporation in Seattle, where he invented a hydraulic resonance suppressor tube used on 747 airplanes. In 1986, Nye left Boeing to pursue comedy, writing and performing jokes and bits for the local sketch television show Almost Live!, where he regularly conducted wacky science experiments. Nye aspired to become the next Mr. Wizard, and with the help of several producers, successfully pitched the children's television program Bill Nye the Science Guy to KCTS-TV, Seattle's public television station. The show—which proudly proclaimed in its theme song that "science rules!"—ran from 1993 to 1998 in national TV syndication. Known for its "high-energy presentation and MTV-paced segments,"[4] the program became a hit among kids and adults, was critically acclaimed and was nominated for 23 Emmy Awards, winning 19, including Outstanding Performer in Children's Programming for Nye himself.

He's not a science teacher, and yet he's certainly played a huge role in cultivating an interest in science for a generation of folks. While he is capable entertainer, those skills were used towards educating a generation that's still stereotyped as having poor attention spans.

He isn't known as a comedian or as an entertainer outside of the field of teaching science and scientific literacy.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2021, 3:57 pm

VegetableMan wrote:

In one breath you tell us that he "was a mechanical engineer...who invented a hydraulic resonance suppressor tube used in 747 airlines", and in the next breath you tell us that he "CERTAINLY had no educational background in science". :lol:

Thats rich.

So... are you saying that he managed to qualify as an engineer without having ever gone to engineering school (which would count as 'education in science'- I would think)?

How did he do that?

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2021, 4:06 pm

[quote="VegetableMan"]I think this is what he means:

He certainly had no educational background in the science he was teaching.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2021, 5:04 pm

VegetableMan wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:

He certainly had no educational background in the science he was teaching.

Ham certainly doesn't have any credentials as a scientist, either. But at least Nye has actual scientific data to back up his arguments, whereas Ham only has an overly literal interpretation of Genesis. I think Nye is far more qualified. I fail to see why there is an argument here.

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2021, 8:55 am

VegetableMan wrote:

But he did pursue Comedy.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2021, 12:23 pm

Probably did. So you're right that Ken Ham lost to a comedian.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2021, 12:24 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Probably did. So you're right that Ken Ham lost to a comedian.

Of course the comedian mastered the joke. :wink:

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Fixxer
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2021, 12:43 pm

Jesus didn't save the aliens, he saved us all. We were told anyway. From his Father, God. Maybe we are the aliens. lol