Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Something Profound
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Aug 2021, 12:24 pm

The reason they want to interview relatives, from what I am told, is that they want to get a different perspective of your behaviors and interactions. How we view ourselves is very different from how others view us, especially when looking back into our childhoods, and they may be able to assess something from that interview that they might not be able to get from us directly.

I haven't been assessed yet, but have been doing a lot of research on it just to alleviate my anxiety on it. I also am feeling a bit of dismay at the whole process, because there is a reason I managed to make it to adulthood without a diagnosis: My "Autistic traits" are not as obvious, and I have good masking skills. My ability to carry on a conversation and make eye contact doesn't mean I enjoy social settings, that I don't feel anxiety when talking to others, that I don't find the process of conversation difficult and awkward, or need to practice conversations in my head all the time both before and after the conversation takes place. Me being able to sit still in public is not proof that I don't have stims that come out in private, like rocking back and forth, leg bouncing (all the time, even in public), hand shaking, squeezing... etc. Some of my special interests do not seem that special, but I don't really like talking about other things, and if you let me talk about my interests (strange or not) I will go on and on about them. Even when it becomes clear that the conversation interest has passed.

So are my traits actually signs of Autism, or are they just quirks that are a combination of being introverted with a few other things besides?

All the unofficial tests that you can take (which usually tell you to seek a diagnosis) put me on the side of "Probably Autistic," but I am usually on the low end of that scale. So I may be wrong, and I worry that seeking a diagnosis is just going to be me going in to find out that there is no obvious explanation of my life's experience, even though I am here, reading other people's stories, and saying, "Yep, that is how I feel" or "Yep, that happens to me too." It is kinda like hoping that *finally* there is an explanation for all the years worth of confusion, and if you are not "Autistic enough" (on a spectrum disorder, that is kinda hilarious to consider) it still leaves you wondering what is wrong with you afterall...

I can relate to this frustration and anxiety about the assessment for diagnosis. It doesn't help at all that Autism focus has been so primarily on youth that they seem to have forgotten that some adults are autistic and need assessment or identification, and it is hard to find places that are qualified to do so.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2021, 12:43 pm

Something Profound wrote:
The reason they want to interview relatives, from what I am told, is that they want to get a different perspective of your behaviors and interactions. How we view ourselves is very different from how others view us, especially when looking back into our childhoods, and they may be able to assess something from that interview that they might not be able to get from us directly.

I haven't been assessed yet, but have been doing a lot of research on it just to alleviate my anxiety on it. I also am feeling a bit of dismay at the whole process, because there is a reason I managed to make it to adulthood without a diagnosis: My "Autistic traits" are not as obvious, and I have good masking skills. My ability to carry on a conversation and make eye contact doesn't mean I enjoy social settings, that I don't feel anxiety when talking to others, that I don't find the process of conversation difficult and awkward, or need to practice conversations in my head all the time both before and after the conversation takes place. Me being able to sit still in public is not proof that I don't have stims that come out in private, like rocking back and forth, leg bouncing (all the time, even in public), hand shaking, squeezing... etc. Some of my special interests do not seem that special, but I don't really like talking about other things, and if you let me talk about my interests (strange or not) I will go on and on about them. Even when it becomes clear that the conversation interest has passed.

So are my traits actually signs of Autism, or are they just quirks that are a combination of being introverted with a few other things besides?

All the unofficial tests that you can take (which usually tell you to seek a diagnosis) put me on the side of "Probably Autistic," but I am usually on the low end of that scale. So I may be wrong, and I worry that seeking a diagnosis is just going to be me going in to find out that there is no obvious explanation of my life's experience, even though I am here, reading other people's stories, and saying, "Yep, that is how I feel" or "Yep, that happens to me too." It is kinda like hoping that *finally* there is an explanation for all the years worth of confusion, and if you are not "Autistic enough" (on a spectrum disorder, that is kinda hilarious to consider) it still leaves you wondering what is wrong with you afterall...

I can relate to this frustration and anxiety about the assessment for diagnosis. It doesn't help at all that Autism focus has been so primarily on youth that they seem to have forgotten that some adults are autistic and need assessment or identification, and it is hard to find places that are qualified to do so.
The traits you described are definitely Autistic traits. Don't worry about them not finding you Autistic enough. If you have a good and competent diagnostician, s/he will be able to see it clearly.

I was less Autistic looking than you to an untrained eye but to a trained eye I am so obvious it's ridiculous. Both the person who first told me and the guy who diagnosed me said it was so obvious that they could tell from the very first moment they saw me even before they actually met me and spoke to me. And when I did the testing, I actually ended up being a level three and not a level one like I thought I was going to be. I also did not involve any family or friends at all in the procedure. I specifically asked that they contact my family because I knew they would be in denial. So I was diagnosed simply on my personal childhood memories and on 9 hours of testing.

So don't worry. If the diagnostician is good, you will get accurate results.

Wreck It Ralph

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2021, 12:45 pm

Site won't let me edit on my phone

I specifically asked that they NOT contact my family...

Wreck It Ralph

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2021, 1:17 pm

So far, self-knowledge is pretty much all I have gotten from my diagnosis.
- I've shared it with my medical providers. It seems to be on the honor system, none have asked for written proof. But then, I don't think they've changed how they deal with me because of the diagnosis.
- I retired in 2011 and was not diagnosed until 2019 so impacts at work did not apply to me. But I'm sure they thought I was odd even without knowing the reason.
- I was diagnosed not too long before the Pandemic so I haven't even been able to explore social impacts. But I'm sure that most people who know me already think I'm sort of odd even without knowing the reason.
- I got to share my diagnosis with close family before the Pandemic. They already thought I was odd...their reaction to my diagnosis was to wonder if they might have Autistic traits, too. (I believe they are all Allistics, however.)

But I am still very glad I got the diagnosis. Because of the self-awareness. And--for me--a diagnosis that was not "official" or accurate would not have been desirable.

I'll note that the Psychologist who did my assessment did have some information about my early years:
- Copies of all my grade school report cards
- A few questions for my still-living Dad
- A journal my Mom kept for my first year
And I know the Psychologist looked closely at Mom's journal. But I don't know whether info about my early childhood helped with the Autism diagnosis, or just with the added caveat that I also met criteria associated with what was previously known as Asperger's Syndrome.

And while it may or may not be a consideration with you, in general we should remember that someone can have some Autistic traits without being Autistic. That can be true of high-end ADHD folk--which I clearly am not. That can also be true of Borderline Autism--and before I got my diagnosis I did wonder if I might be Almost Autistic.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2021, 2:13 pm

ezbzbfcg2 wrote:
=

For those diagnosed in adulthood, what did the assessor focus on? What were the main things that suggested to them you were on the spectrum?

My testing was really extensive, but mostly with standardised psychometric tests which provided objective data for results. Then I was also tested online by a third party autism data collection place in America which correlated my results with the doctor's findings. This made it double-blind.

There was some interviewing and conversation, but I don't feel like the diagnosis had much to do with my subjective input. Anyone can say they have / don't have specific traits, or that they were / weren't present in childhood. People can lie, have a faulty self-awareness, or trick the system for whatever reason. Diagnosticians need to prove it clinically rather than relying on someone's self-perception or the extent of their memories about childhood.

Here are some of the standardised tests I did. Each one had several sub-tests, and they were all scored with percentiles and T scores (whatever that means).

Then of course there was the ADOS, conversations, and some info about my childhood which I provided ahead of time by answering a Developmental History questionnaire. The whole process took about 12 hours.

CarlM
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2021, 8:24 pm

renaeden wrote:
At one stage the psychologist took me out of her office into the lunchroom. She introduced me to some of her colleagues. I said hi and then turned my back on them and programmed the time into their microwave. At a later appointment I was told that what I did was pretty autistic. :oops: She wanted to see what I was like around people I didn't know.

Reminds me of a Dilbert comic strip. His mother takes young Dilbert to the doctor for an assessment. After a quick exam, Dilbert is seen in the back of the room repairing the medical equipment. "What's wrong with my son doctor", "I'm afraid he's going to be an engineer" :lol:. I wish I had saved the comic strip.

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2021, 10:57 pm

For those diagnosed in adulthood, are any components of the diagnostic similar to these online Autism tests? I know the online tests can't be used for a diagnosis by themselves, but you know the ones I'm talking about. They ask a bunch of questions like "I prefer doing things alone rather than with others." On a scale of 1 to 5, you pick how much it applies to you. At the end, they tally the points and above a certain total score is Autistic range.

Was there a similar test in the official diagnostic process?

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2021, 11:28 pm

ezbzbfcg2 wrote:
For those diagnosed in adulthood, are any components of the diagnostic similar to these online Autism tests? I know the online tests can't be used for a diagnosis by themselves, but you know the ones I'm talking about. They ask a bunch of questions like "I prefer doing things alone rather than with others." On a scale of 1 to 5, you pick how much it applies to you. At the end, they tally the points and above a certain total score is Autistic range.

Was there a similar test in the official diagnostic process?

I had the AQ administered verbally, but the questions were in a different order than usual.

I was able to extrapolate on all my concerns about each question.

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2021, 11:42 pm

So, would you say the questions are more current-life, cumulative-life focused? Or was it a lot of childhood stuff?

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2021, 11:49 pm

Something Profound wrote:
I haven't been assessed yet, but have been doing a lot of research on it just to alleviate my anxiety on it. I also am feeling a bit of dismay at the whole process, because there is a reason I managed to make it to adulthood without a diagnosis: My "Autistic traits" are not as obvious, and I have good masking skills.

I feel the same way. Interesting to note we're the same age. People 10 years older had no possibility of being diagnosed in childhood. With people 10 years younger, it was more commonplace.

We're of that "lost" generation. Technically, you can find a few early outliers our age who were diagnosed before the age of 18 (usually in high school). But for all intents and purposes, recognition and diagnosis of autism in childhood took a number of years to catch on. We were already in our early 20s when it became more common.

Point is, most adults who "managed to make it to adulthood without a diagnosis" did so because a childhood diagnosis wasn't a possibility during childhood. Not necessarily because they weren't "autistic enough" as children. I feel the same anxiety...mainly that I am indeed autistic but it won't be spotted and I'll be misdiagnosed. It's not so much wanting to be autistic, rather, I fear that I am but someone will arbitrarily decide I'm not based on their limited perception.

It is reassuring that most people here say the professionals who know what they're doing are able to spot it on their own, without relying solely on a checklist and the word of the one being diagnosed.