Afghanistan and new rules to stop loss of intellectuals

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2021, 6:49 pm

The USA radio news has today stated that the Taliban has put a stop to Afghanies leaving the country there now. The reason stated was that the intellectual drain on the Country will not be tolerated. .
This sounds sad to me as it appears the Smarter people in the Country does not support ,the on coming Taliban Government. Values and ideals . 8O
Any ideas or comments on these ongoing events .?

where ever you go ,there you are

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2021, 7:19 pm

Violent reactionaries and intellectuals don't mix well.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

King0fSpades
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2021, 7:34 pm

funeralxempire wrote:

Yup just look at the USA right now.

♤ The Military

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2021, 3:00 am

King0fSpades wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

Yup just look at the USA right now.

Oooooh, buuuuuuurrrrnnnn! :lol:

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

26 Aug 2021, 3:42 am

I'm wondering how Intellectual is defined. In my experience intellectuals can be some of the biggest idiots. They think that their high IQ means they are smarter than most & thus do not have to consider anybody else's perspective. Lots of weapons are designed by intellectuals like nuclear bombs & missiles, biological weapons, new military fighter jets, & there's also the stereotype in movies & shows of the mad scientists who want to take over the world. I doubt that intellectuals are the main people who are wanting to leave Afghanistan. I'd bet that the main people wanting to leave are the very poor who were not able to access top quality education. They are majorly struggling to get by & want to live in an area with less conflict & more opportunity.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2021, 3:45 am

What were they expecting, not treating women like human beings? They even tried to kill a 12 years old girl for speaking out for little girls' right to a education. I hope everyone can escape from that hellish country.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2021, 4:02 am

AprilR wrote:
What were they expecting, not treating women like human beings? They even tried to kill a 12 years old girl for speaking out for little girls' right to a education. I hope everyone can escape from that hellish country.
This helps prove my point. Intellectuals are generally the people who are able to receive higher education if economic circumstances are are not factored in. I'm NOT saying that the 12 year-old girl was not an intellectual, I'm saying that she didn't really have a chance to prove that she was one. People in her situation are the 1s wanting to leave & we cant say for sure if they are really intellectuals or not. If the Taliban really actually values intellectuals like they claim, intellectuals would be allowed access to education. Stating that the intellectual drain is then reason to stop people from leaving is total bull-$hit

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2021, 4:14 am

I think most people would want to leave regardless of being intellectual or not considering Taliban are killing people left and right for not adhering to their "values"

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2021, 8:49 am

Jakki wrote:
The USA radio news has today stated that the Taliban has put a stop to Afghanis leaving the country there now.  The reason stated was that the intellectual drain on the Country will not be tolerated.  This sounds sad to me as it appears the Smarter people in the Country does not support, the on coming Taliban Government. Values and ideals.  Any ideas or comments on these ongoing events?
Afghanistan is intractable -- it is not easily governed, managed, or directed by any but violent and uncaring cultists.  That is where the Taliban come in.  They will not tolerate dissent and disorder, and will strictly control the lives of the people (especially the women).

That said, I am surprised they are not allowing the intellectuals to leave the country.  Most of the time, when revolutions take place, the intellectuals are the first to be rounded up, imprisoned, and eventually "disappeared" forever.  Those who are capable of thinking for themselves pose a threat to the laws and doctrines imposed by the revolutionaries on the people.

But maybe they need someone to teach them how to use all that military hardware the Americans left behind ... ?

:shrug:

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

King0fSpades
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2021, 9:01 am

What really saddens me is that this was basically Iraq and Veitnam all over again. Do we Americans refuse to learn from history or what? We're just going to keep repeating the same mistakes as the Roman Empire did over and over again right up until the 'barbarians' sack our cities as the world watches in shock.

*sigh* humans... :|

♤ The Military

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2021, 11:02 am

King0fSpades wrote:
What really saddens me is that this was basically Iraq and Veitnam all over again. Do we Americans refuse to learn from history or what? We're just going to keep repeating the same mistakes as the Roman Empire did over and over again right up until the 'barbarians' sack our cities as the world watches in shock.

*sigh* humans... :|
I completely agree. We need to focus on having a real democracy & freedom better established within our own country before we worry about forcing it onto other countries.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2021, 11:37 am

nick007 wrote:
I'm wondering how Intellectual is defined. In my experience intellectuals can be some of the biggest idiots. They think that their high IQ means they are smarter than most & thus do not have to consider anybody else's perspective. Lots of weapons are designed by intellectuals like nuclear bombs & missiles, biological weapons, new military fighter jets, & there's also the stereotype in movies & shows of the mad scientists who want to take over the world. I doubt that intellectuals are the main people who are wanting to leave Afghanistan. I'd bet that the main people wanting to leave are the very poor who were not able to access top quality education. They are majorly struggling to get by & want to live in an area with less conflict & more opportunity.

They need Doctors and Engineers. People that keep them alive and healthy, treat their wounds and illnesses as well as people that keep the country operating, design things that don't fall apart, design and build vehicles, weapons, transportation systems to move opium and money.. and some technical people to communicate with the outside world, finance people etc. Useful educated people. If everyone with specialized knowledge of these things flees the country then all they have are a bunch of bumbling idiots with guns who won't be able to figure out how to grow and distribute food, or how to repair or maintain anything, or how to heal the sick or wounded.

I'm pretty sure they don't give a F about Philosophers and such. Only useful intellectuals that keep them alive and the systems operating that enable them to maintain control.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2021, 3:27 pm

Now ...... two bombs reported to go off at the airport in Kabul today or yesterday .....
Seriously Is anyone really surprised this happened. ? Loss of 15 american service members
and a few others according to radio reports .

where ever you go ,there you are