Sibling’s likelihood of autism diagnosis impacted by age gap

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2021, 7:30 am

California News Times

Quote:
A new study shows that mothers of autistic children who delayed their subsequent pregnancy by 2.5 to 3 years also reduced the chances of the next child being diagnosed in the spectrum.

Curtin University research, in collaboration with the Telethon Kids Institute Autism researchWe surveyed more than 925,000 births in Denmark, Finland and Sweden. This included more than 9,300 people, who were later diagnosed with children

The study also found that children born to mothers who became pregnant again three months after giving birth were 50% more likely to be diagnosed with autism, and children born five years later were 24% more likely. I also showed that.

Professor Pereira said he was surprised that his study identified an environmental link to autism, in addition to documented genetic and biological factors.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2021, 9:12 pm

Not evident in my family:
(1) Firstborn: ASD, Second (and last): NT, pregnancy 2.5 years later - check
(2) Firstborn: ASD, Second (and last): NT, pregnancy 1.5 years later - nope
(3) Firstborn: ASD, Second (and last): NT, pregnancy 1.75 years later - nope

There seems to be a firstborn trend over this way...

Poking fun:

The study says "likely to be diagnosed" (in childhood) --- not whether the child actually has ASD. I know from experience that wiser (less stressful) parenting or other factors can help a child adapt (accommodate the current culture) better and preclude a diagnosis (until adulthood when the sh*t hits the fan) - second borns (or delayed parenting) might have this effect.

Does it consider that girls are under diagnosed as it is and that second-born girls with more "demanding" ASD older brothers might be underdiagnosed even more so?

How did the study account for pregnancy loss and frozen embryo transfers? (pregnancy after one or more intermediate pregnancy losses and siblings conceived the same day but born years apart)

Inquiring minds want to know. :twisted:

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2021, 10:59 pm

My brother is NT, and 2.75 years after me.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2021, 11:12 pm

I wish it said whether the mothers were autistic as well.

My brother is 2 years 9 months older than I am.
He's not diagnosed but I can almost guarantee he's classic Aspergers.

My dad was born exactly a year after his sister.
He was almost certainly Aspergers as well, but I don't think his older sister was.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2021, 5:06 am

Does it mean if they're Aspies they're more likely to get a diagnosis, or does it mean an age gap between siblings actually causes ASD? I don't believe the latter, because generally ASD is genetic, something you are born with, and having a sibling so many years older or younger than you is not exactly going to give you an ASD.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2021, 5:09 am

It might have something to do with genetics.

Maybe similar to how women over 35 have a better chance of giving birth to a child with Down Syndrome.