Is it common for aspies to have depression as well?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

catpiecakebutter
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Aug 2021, 10:21 pm

I have some depression because of unsuccessful attempts at looking for a job. I'm thinking of changing my mind and maybe do volunteer work instead. I also have some depression because I never went to college or university and I don't really like when hairdressers ask me if I'm going to school or work. I feel it's not really their concern.

Blueberry_Muffin
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Aug 2021, 10:44 pm

Yeah, I too hate it when people ask what I do. I know they're just making conversation, but I get anxious and afraid of what they'll answer when I say unemployed.
And it sadly seems to be the case that aspies are more likely to get depressed because social needs are a crucial aspect in many peoples' lives, and we all know that social communication is harder for so many of us.

ct507
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Aug 2021, 11:53 pm

I never liked that question either, to the point where I treated it as a "what do you want to be when you grow up" question instead. Sometimes just offering a really unbelievable line of work or field of study provided enough pushback. The more exaggerated the better. And since a deadpan delivery required no effort with facial expressions, gestures, or intonations, I could always do it regardless of energy levels and the sarcasm was not lost on them. If they laughed, usually that part of the conversation ended there. If they didn't laugh but instead pried further, I just told them that the lie was much more interesting or that I was a professional liar which they assumed meant lawyer.

Last edited by ct507 on 25 Aug 2021, 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

old_comedywriter
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2021, 11:56 pm

Common? It's more like a requirement.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2021, 11:28 am

Is it common for aspies to have depression as well? Yes.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2021, 11:48 am

I had a "Clinical Assessment of Depression" test administered as part of my ASD diagnosis, so I'd assume yes it's common.

I suppose fitting in with society, being bullied, or feeling like an alien, are bound to make anyone autistic experience at least some degree of depression.