Over 20 Californian students stranded in Afghanistan.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2021, 5:02 am

Quote:
Dozens of California students and parents are stranded in Afghanistan after taking a summer trip to the country.

More than 20 students and 16 parents from the Cajon Valley Union School District in El Cajon, Calif., visited Afghanistan on summer vacation. Now they are among thousands of people who are waiting to leave the country amid the chaotic U.S. withdrawal that has caused political unrest across the nation, according to the Los Angeles Times.

Cajon Valley Superintendent David Miyashiro alerted school board members on Tuesday that he would be meeting with Rep. Darrell Issa (R-Calif.) to discuss the situation, the Times noted.

Miyashiro told the news outlet that the families traveled to Afghanistan on special visas for U.S. military service and that the school district was able to provide government officials with information on the families as they work to locate them.

The stranded students reportedly attend different schools within the school district.

Mike Serban, who works with refugee families in the district and heads the Family and Children Engagement program, was the first person to hear about the students’ predicament.

Serban contacted to Miyashiro last week and told him that multiple families had reached out to him concerned that their students would lose out on classroom instruction due to being in Afghanistan, according to the Times.

“Congressman Issa and his staff are working diligently to determine the facts on the ground, any bureaucratic barriers that can be removed, and the best ways to help those stranded leave Afghanistan and return home safely. We won’t stop until we have answers and action,” an Issa spokesperson informed Miyashiro in an email, the Times reported.

Source: https://thehill.com/policy/international/middle-east-north-africa/569307-dozens-of-california-students-parents-stranded

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2021, 2:31 pm

Nobody is calling this what it is one big hostage crisis.

My prediction is that after a lot of hemming and hawing the US is going to end up paying bribes to the Taliban and ISIS to get the Americans and maybe their helpers out. We lost the war, the Taliban won so they get to dictate terms.

What are the options?
1. Say we are not giving into terrorism. Let The Americans get tortured or slaughtered. That would violate a basic rule used by most countries which is to get your people home in any way in any shape. Violating that basic unwritten rule would destroy the morale of the military. The Taliban would put all the beheadings and such on social media. And yeah Biden's and the Dems political fortunes creator.

2.Try to regain lost credibility and manhood by sending in more marines guns blazing. All or most of the people we are trying to save are tortured and murdered. The Taliban lose a lot more people. It is a big setback for them but a temporary one. The basic situation has not changed the Americans won't fight a forever war and they will. The inevitable is postponed.

3. The bribing will be a further massive and continuing humiliating hit to America. The Taliban will keep violating the agreement, blaming ISIS and upping the price.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2021, 2:25 am

Here's what I've been biting my tongue on: what in #*!^$&@!(*#!@& drove those people to plan such a trip when it has been known for more than a year the US had a deadline for pulling out?

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2021, 3:08 am

DW_a_mom wrote:
Here's what I've been biting my tongue on: what in #*!^$&@!(*#!@& drove those people to plan such a trip when it has been known for more than a year the US had a deadline for pulling out?

Doubtlessly they trusted their President:
Quote:
When I announced our drawdown in April, I said we would be out by September, and we’re on track to meet that target.

Our military mission in Afghanistan will conclude on August 31st. The drawdown is proceeding in a secure and orderly way, prioritizing the safety of our troops as they depart.

<...>

I want to be clear: The U.S. military mission in Afghanistan continues through the end of August. We remain — we retain personnel and capacities in the country, and we maintain some authority — excuse me, the same authority under which we’ve been operating for some time.

<...>

Mr. President, some Vietnamese veterans see echoes of their experience in this withdrawal in Afghanistan. Do you see any parallels between this withdrawal and what happened in Vietnam, with some people feeling —

THE PRESIDENT: None whatsoever. Zero. What you had is — you had entire brigades breaking through the gates of our embassy — six, if I’m not mistaken.

The Taliban is not the south — the North Vietnamese army. They’re not — they’re not remotely comparable in terms of capability. There’s going to be no circumstance where you see people being lifted off the roof of a embassy in the — of the United States from Afghanistan. It is not at all comparable.

<...>

So the question now is, where do they go from here? That — the jury is still out. But the likelihood there’s going to be the Taliban overrunning everything and owning the whole country is highly unlikely.

Source: https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/speeches-remarks/2021/07/08/remarks-by-president-biden-on-the-drawdown-of-u-s-forces-in-afghanistan/

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2021, 4:02 am

Brictoria wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:

Doubtlessly they trusted their President:
Quote:
When I announced our drawdown in April, I said we would be out by September, and we’re on track to meet that target.

Our military mission in Afghanistan will conclude on August 31st. The drawdown is proceeding in a secure and orderly way, prioritizing the safety of our troops as they depart.

<...>

I want to be clear: The U.S. military mission in Afghanistan continues through the end of August. We remain — we retain personnel and capacities in the country, and we maintain some authority — excuse me, the same authority under which we’ve been operating for some time.

<...>

Mr. President, some Vietnamese veterans see echoes of their experience in this withdrawal in Afghanistan. Do you see any parallels between this withdrawal and what happened in Vietnam, with some people feeling —

THE PRESIDENT: None whatsoever. Zero. What you had is — you had entire brigades breaking through the gates of our embassy — six, if I’m not mistaken.

The Taliban is not the south — the North Vietnamese army. They’re not — they’re not remotely comparable in terms of capability. There’s going to be no circumstance where you see people being lifted off the roof of a embassy in the — of the United States from Afghanistan. It is not at all comparable.

<...>

So the question now is, where do they go from here? That — the jury is still out. But the likelihood there’s going to be the Taliban overrunning everything and owning the whole country is highly unlikely.

Source: https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/speeches-remarks/2021/07/08/remarks-by-president-biden-on-the-drawdown-of-u-s-forces-in-afghanistan/

FYI these types of student trips are usually planned more than a year in advance, at which time they would have had to assume the US military might be fully withdrawn by the date of the trip. The promise had been made, at least.