Page 4 of 4 [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2021, 3:27 pm

mohsart wrote:
JustFoundHere wrote:
Fnord wrote:
We do not need a new thread on the same topic; we need wiser posts from those already using this one.

One discussion thread lists the minimum age of 35. The other discussion thread lists a minimum age of 45. People change between age 35 and age 45.

Both threads have their places!

I think I'm with Fnord.
I can see the need to distinguish between toddlers, children, teens, adults and perhaps retired. But not between 35s and 45s.

/Mats

Why quibble?

Best to refocus on the scope/purpose of this discussion thread - esp. 'Page 1`of this disc. thread!

Gentleman Argentum
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2021, 6:25 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
WP has by far the oldest demographics of any autistic space I have seen.

It's because this is an actual independent web site forum, a dying breed but cool to us "old school" fools.

Old folk like me did forums before there was a Facebook. I grew up on forums, made most of my friends on forums, made enemies on forums and more...

However I still maintain this site is very useful due to the laser-like ND focus and can never be truly replaced by a mass social media site that has all kinds of other subject matter. This is a "safe space" in a way that other spaces can't actually match.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2021, 12:22 pm

Gentleman Argentum wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

It's because this is an actual independent web site forum, a dying breed but cool to us "old school" fools.

Old folk like me did forums before there was a Facebook. I grew up on forums, made most of my friends on forums, made enemies on forums and more...

However I still maintain this site is very useful due to the laser-like ND focus and can never be truly replaced by a mass social media site that has all kinds of other subject matter. This is a "safe space" in a way that other spaces can't actually match.

I find forums more executive dysfunction friendly than other online spaces. You can reply anytime you like.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2021, 1:50 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

I find forums more executive dysfunction friendly than other online spaces. You can reply anytime you like.

Further discussions on old-school forums can be posted in the WP discussion thread, 'Will Internet Forums Make A Comeback?' viewtopic.php?t=339308

Gentleman Argentum
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2021, 3:42 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

Yeah, by comparison, Reddit closes a thread after a few months or so. This space is easier to deal with overall.

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

Location: The intersection of Inkopolis’ Plaza & Square where the Turf Wars lie.

10 Sep 2021, 10:37 am

I’m not even 35 yet, and I feel like WP has a lot more older people than younger. I like it. Means I can learn more.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2021, 4:24 am

JustFoundHere wrote:
Hence, difficulties in becoming acquainted with trusted people would become apparent when forms ask, 'who's name(s) do we include on health, and medical forms asking, 'who to contact in case of emergency?'' The names of trusted relatives, and parents friends are sufficient; even if they live a distance away. Yet, I sense progress is necessary in becoming acquainted with trustworthy people who live close-by.

This is very much a concern of mine too, and one of the reasons why I need to build a friendship/support network now. I succeeded in making quite a few friends when in my twenties and thirties, but my best friends are no longer living and the rest have mostly faded away.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2021, 11:02 am

HeroOfHyrule wrote:
Anyways, to get back to the actual topic I still don't think people 35+ are "underrepresented", and I think those people are able to freely discuss most anything they want to on here as long as their post is actually discussion-prompting. I don't notice a lot of people my age actually stick around and this probably contributes. There's barely anyone in my actual "peer group" to talk to.

Agreed, I don't think people over 35 are "under-represented" here.

If you'd like to see more younger people here, you can help by recommending Wrong Planet to younger autistic people whom you encounter on social media.

You yourself evidently do find WP to be worthwhile enough to stick around, despite what you perceive as a shortage of younger people, so hopefully there are some good things you can tell people about WP that will get some of them interested.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2021, 12:14 pm

there probably should be services for aspies that lack these support mechanisms .
Can easily understand the lack of ability to have anyone, to put their name on medical forms for emergency contact. But it does seem a direction society is going. On the other hand it does force
a person to have to be responsible for their own medical decisions. And puts a person in a position to push their medical persons to explain their opinions too. ( which btw is something they seem to dislike)

where ever you go ,there you are

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2021, 3:19 pm

Mona Pereth wrote:
HeroOfHyrule wrote:
Anyways, to get back to the actual topic I still don't think people 35+ are "underrepresented", and I think those people are able to freely discuss most anything they want to on here as long as their post is actually discussion-prompting. I don't notice a lot of people my age actually stick around and this probably contributes. There's barely anyone in my actual "peer group" to talk to.

Agreed, I don't think people over 35 are "under-represented" here.

If you'd like to see more younger people here, you can help by recommending Wrong Planet to younger autistic people whom you encounter on social media.

You yourself evidently do find WP to be worthwhile enough to stick around, despite what you perceive as a shortage of younger people, so hopefully there are some good things you can tell people about WP that will get some of them interested.

Jakki's response (before my post as of this writing) "struck a chord" so to speak!

Through experiences with support groups in NYC, have issues of finding people to trust to contact in case of emergencies been on the agendas of support groups? Any advice?